Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 18, 2009

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-26-2009, 9:09 AM Reply   
Sorry this pick is not that good Andreas took it from his I phone a few week's back.

It's a pick of 2 lake otters. They are on the Jet Ski port. This guy's keep a real low profile. In fact all my time at the lake I have never seen them only heard stories of them. To me it's pretty cool with all the houses and action around the lake that wild life is still all around us. Living in the city you don't see to much wild life.

Here is a small list of all the things I have seen from as close as my font door at the lake that I would have never seen in the city.

1. Bald Eagle’s
2. Turtles
3. Wild Turkey's
4. Fox's
5. Coyote’s
6. Deer (very tame)
7. Lots of Different snakes
8. Scorpions
9. Tarantulas
Upload
Old     (trevorg7)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-26-2009, 9:13 AM Reply   
That is pretty cool Grant. Was this a recent photo?

T
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-26-2009, 9:19 AM Reply   
Trevor: No. like I said in the first line of my post. The photo is a few week's old. LOL. I knew some people would be like WOW the water is so low. LOL. The lake is 81% full as of today. Almost all the dock's at Tulloch are now floating. You can see the lake level here. http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryDaily?TUL
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-26-2009, 9:26 AM Reply   
otters are evil. as nice as it is to see them from time to time they are evil. leave dead fish, poop all kinds of nasty stuff on the dock. plus they destroy your dock foam.
Old     (doug2)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-26-2009, 9:51 AM Reply   
We don't have any otters, but plenty of beavers at Eufaula. A family started a lodge under our friends' dock. Tunneled through five of the foam floats. Worst part was the smell.

In addition to your list, at our lake I've spotted-
Osprey
Pelicans
Kingfishers

Supposedly the black bears are moving back to that part of the state. Only spots I've seen bears are Yosemite and Yellowstone. Would cool as ish to see one in the backyard!!
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-26-2009, 10:19 AM Reply   
The lake otter's are supposed to be a pain for the people with the GHETTO foam dock's. I have been told the same thing that the otter's tunnel out the foam dock's and take up residents in them. Wild life Yes is cool but when they become a problem like Ripping up your lawn or ripping up your dock I understand they can be a problem. I have seen what wild pig's and racoons do to a lawn. Bern raised lots of Mallard duck's on lake Tulloch. Yea they crap on the docks and stuff and can make a mess but I like seeing the wildlife so close and at times in tune and not afraid of humans. As far as Bear's go. Thoes im pretty sure I don't wanna see. We saw a Cub at lake Shasta. We were amazed at it as we had never seen a bear b4 all we could think about was where is MOMMA. Check out these pick's my friend sent me of a Black or Grizzley Bear.
The E-mail said this above the Pick's I dont know if its true

"This grizzly was hit by a Harley on Lolo Pass. This is the pass between Lolo , MT and Kooskia , ID "Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old    swass            02-26-2009, 10:46 AM Reply   
Have you tried removing your apostrophe key and replacing it with a sharp spike?
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-26-2009, 10:50 AM Reply   
YIKES... wonder how bad off the guy ridin the harley was?

I was at a wedding in tahoe one time and after the reception we were all stuck inside because there were 2 cubs and a mother bear right outside the door. we were in a hurry so i bolted out the back door and around to the parkin garage. I remember hearing one of the bears growling but i just kept runnin to the truck.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-26-2009, 10:57 AM Reply   
Ooo No the F'ing spelling NAZI is back! I was thinking with all the talk of goverment cut backs you would be out of a job and not be able to afford internet access and I wouldn't have to deal with SWASS anymore. Im just joking. Swass is cool. He contributes so much to the fourm's we would be lost with out you. Swass why don't you do us all favor and chase down Andy. He and his spelling are 10times worse
Old    swass            02-26-2009, 11:07 AM Reply   
Two-faced elitist wanna be.
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-26-2009, 11:12 AM Reply   
I'll believe the pics above. Lolo pass is awesome but definitely through some open country. The bugs alone are big enough to hurt through your jacket.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-26-2009, 11:19 AM Reply   
SWASS who was this comment "Two-faced elitist wanna be." directed at?
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-26-2009, 11:26 AM Reply   
Down here in Central Ca we have all of the ones listed, haven't seen an otter before but heard rumors that lake Naci has em. Bears have come back to the area, when riding Lake Lopez (8 miles from SLO) my friend went to ollie a branch to find out that it was a black bear swimming across the lake!! They have been seen more and more frequently. We also have resident nesting Bald Eagles, Golden Eagles and occasionally a Mountain Lion is spotted, I haven't seen one for a few years but they are around.

If you ever go backpacking in the Sierras you will see bears galore, they are bad ass but it sucks to hear them outside your tent as you pray you took all your food out of your pockets! Here's a couple pics of one we caught unaware and then snuck up on!
Upload
Upload
Old     (trevorg7)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-26-2009, 11:50 AM Reply   
Grant - clearly I was more impressed with the photo than your words as I missed the end of the first line LOL.

btw -we booked our stay there for the end of July...we'll have to have a beer.

T
Old     (trevorg7)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-26-2009, 12:00 PM Reply   
Grant - is that guys bayliner floating near Drifters yet? I think you snapped the photo of it sitting high and dry...

T
Old     (doug2)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-26-2009, 12:11 PM Reply   
I just remembered how the beaver family was evicted. My buddy got really pissed off late one Saturday night and decides to cut a trap door right in the middle of the walkway on the dock. He framed out the opening, threw some hinges on and slapped it all back together. He would wait until he heard 'em swimming around, fling open the trap door and empty his .22 into a 12 x 12 opening. He couldn't see ish, but continued with his eradication efforts until the sun came up. I think he managed to get five.

WTF is up with grammar/spelling nazis lately? Do people have cabin fever, or that Seasonal Affective bs...
Old     (05elitevc4)      Join Date: Jan 2008       02-26-2009, 12:51 PM Reply   
I dont want to sound tree hugger...because Im not that kind of person. But I hope all of you appreciate wildlife like this. I backpack in these Sierras "big heavy" is speaking of often. Dont forget who was here first and that needs to be respected. Dont get me wrong if beavers were tearing up my dock I would shoot them too. I just hate to hear folks bashing wildlife for being just that...WILD. As far as Im concerned the lake is just like the mountains. We are the trespassers here not the animals. No matter how domesticated we try and make it with docks, marinas, roads, and ignorant people (not directed at any of you) but you know who Im talking about. Sorry for the rant.
Old     (saceone)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-26-2009, 1:00 PM Reply   
a grizzly DOUBLE YOU TEE EFF MATE!!
Old     (doug2)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-26-2009, 1:19 PM Reply   
Sean- I hear you. I remember as a kid watching the black bears go through the old dump near Curry Village in Yosemite. They did it every night, just nosed around the same area, years after the park shut the dump down. We have a huge effect everyday. I no longer use pesticides, chemical fertilizers or weed killer at the lake just to minimize my impact.

Background on the beavers, the dock owners had tried for more than a month to get somebody to trap and move them. Corps of Engineers, state wildlife, county animal control, the local university, you name it they tried. No one wanted to take responsibility.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-26-2009, 1:52 PM Reply   
I love the wildlife aspect of the lake.
I used to feed a lot of deer by hand at our house at Naci. I came across a couple of their carcasses that the mountain lions had gotten as well. Nothing like searching the ravine near the house trying to figure out what the heck died 100 feet from the house.
bears and mountain lions scare the crap out of me when I am out camping.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-26-2009, 2:34 PM Reply   
Grant, you misspell and use the wrong words way too much for me to even attempt to help...I'll let Swass handle it.

The otters in the delta are gourmets...they prefer delta lobster aka crawdads...and then they leave the proof on your dock.

I will one up you on the bear photo too.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

(Message edited by bftskir on February 26, 2009)
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-26-2009, 2:41 PM Reply   
T: Yea that bayliner is floating.
Yea I agree. We are in their (wild life's) house. I think most people respect that. I know some will disagree with me but I think when wild life starts tearing up your place or property that's when you get "mid evil" on them LOL. I have personally had to Re-locate (trap NOT kill) about 8 coons that were tearing up my lawn. Im guilty of watching (and enjoying) video's of people varmit blasting! Now is this living in harmony with nature??? Some say yea some say no. I personally wont or dont kill anything that is not messing with me. I know some people here like to hunt and that's cool. I was just saying I like the fact that I can see wildlife or critters living in and around people/homes at the lake in harmony that you dont see in the city.
Old     (brianbass)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-02-2009, 6:57 PM Reply   
Think I am going to trap yo azz . You are my little Lake Tulloch otter man
Old     (wakedv)      Join Date: May 2007       03-03-2009, 7:01 AM Reply   
"G" I received the pic's of the road kill bear a few years ago, at that time the caption said it was hit by a truck in Grand Prairie, Alberta. Another urban legend builds! LOL
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       03-03-2009, 6:34 PM Reply   
Grant,
Keep contributing to the site and screw the A-holes that have nothing better to do then spell-check. I have gained so much knowledge from you on this site, and it's much appreciated! By the way, what's up with the transom light review? I'm a cheap screw, but willing too pay some cash for the transom lights that win your praises.
Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-03-2009, 6:55 PM Reply   
Keep it up G. The lack of government spending will soon get the better of this guy. I really don't give a rats ass on the exact spelling of anything. I don't care whether it's i before e or visa versa.
You "Bling" G.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-03-2009, 7:45 PM Reply   
I have to start using spell check. Its pretty bad when people e-mail you saying things like “I like to read your posts but cant stand to sift threw all the misspelled words” (Big Heavy) that’s pretty bad on my part. I have posted before and then come back later and re-read my post and thought WTF was I thinking. I spell like a retard and that’s not how I want to come across so Ill try and remember to spell check my stuff from now on. I think the only person worst than me is Moose. LOL
As far as Swass, I have no idea about his situation. I made that comment, as a joke and it didn’t come across to him as the way it was intended. So I’m sorry if I offended you. I post a ton on here and I’m sure I have said some things to piss some people from time to time. Ill try and watch it.

Rod /Thanks, I’m in contact with ken @ Bullet Lines I want to test his new high powered LED with optics. It should be out soon. We are going to do the test. Why do you think I'm fixing up the back of my boat in the DIY gell coat thread LOL. I want the boat to look nice back there before I drill more holes in it. Mike and I will do a nice thread tread. Ill let Mike do all the spelling LOL.