Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Astepatatime)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-10-2013, 8:03 AM Reply   
Hey everyone. Newb here to Wakeworld. So we're thinking about buying an X55 and I'm looking for anyone with thoughts or experiences with this boat. Here's the situation - we're pretty new to boating, got our first boat last year, a Crownline E4. We got it to have more family time together(pulling our soon to be teenaged son away from the vid games). Had an awesome summer and got into wakeboarding plus did a lot of general cruising. So we've been thinking all winter about switching to a wakeboat - both for better wakeboarding and so we can surf (my wife really wants to start surfing). We've got a great opportunity on a new 2013 X55. It's a big boat, but we are looking at the size because we often have 1 or 2 families come out with us. We spend full days on the lake and do as much cruising as pure watersports. It's a lot of coin, so maybe I'm just looking for some peace of mind. Would love to hear any thoughts on this boat (I'm not looking for a debate on brands- like buy a G25 instead). A few things I'm wondering about, in addition to any general experiences you've had with an X55

- It's big, tons of room. But seems like for people focused on best wake in the MC line, they look towards an x25 or x30. I'm not looking for a pro wake and prefer to keep it stock, no bags. So am I going to be disappointed with the wake and surf and wish we'd gone with a smaller boat?

- What's this thing going to handle like (not going to be able to test drive before committing to the purchase)? The Crownline we have is over 5k pounds as is the X55, and there will be an extra 100 horses, so I'm assuming it won't feel like I'm driving a barge, even though it's longer with the platform.

So tell me about any of the above, any experiences you've had with the X55, or any thing else you think I should think about. TIA.
Old     (pc_sledge)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-10-2013, 1:10 PM Reply   
I've heard the X55 has a solid wake, never heard anything about the surf wave but I'm sure it would be respectable. Mastercraft makes great boats in my opinion, you shouldn't be disappointed with the build quality. I have an X45 and love it. The boat should handle fine, but it is big so it won't turn on a dime like smaller inboards but it should be a worthwhile trade off for the room it provides. They have an option, I believe, where u can opt for additional seating in lieu of a bathroom, but maybe that's an option that would suit your paticular needs. My opinion is that it would be a huge upgrade with no lingering regrets. Good luck!
Old     (jafo9)      Join Date: May 2012       03-10-2013, 2:37 PM Reply   
the x55 is a big boat. i spent alot of showroom time comparing a 45 and a 55 when i was debating trimming the fleet to only one boat. to me, the interior space of the 45 was identical to the 55. the biggest difference obviously is the space where the head is. if a head is important, the 55 is your only choice. otherwise the 45 way be the better choice between the 2 as it will be lighter and more agile (as much a a big boat can be). my biggest hesitation to buying a new 45 or 55 would be that they may be due for a redesign soon. personally, i'd hate to spend that kind of coin on a new boat only to see it lose value even faster once the "new" model came out. having said that, take a look at the new x30. pretty good interior space and is getting a pretty good reputation as a solid platform for boarding/surfing. we routinely have 2 families plus ours on our 02 x30 which is alot smaller than the new one. its, tight but functional, particularly with extra racks to get all the boards out of the cabin. having been in a new 30, i can tell you that there is alot more room in that hull so multiple families shouldn't be too cramped. you will likely get better handling out of a new 30 as well, particularly if you add the tracking fins included in the "pro" package. i'm not even sure you can get fins on the 45 or 55.

whatever you decide, good luck.
Old     (Astepatatime)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-10-2013, 2:45 PM Reply   
thanks to both responses so far. Keep 'em coming!

I'm primarily looking at the X55 because it's a special pricing opportunity. Say about 10% below what would be a boat show price. I'm just trying to decide whether to take advantage of the opportunity.

I've got mixed feelings on the head. We have one on the Crownline and never used it - intentionally. Basically becomes another storage/dumping area.

I think I read on the Teamtalk site that the 45 is due a redesign for 14, but the 55 wouldn't for a few more years. Good point there.
Old    EPIC            03-10-2013, 5:57 PM Reply   
Have you been able to drive a x45 or a x55? i would honestly try to find someone in your area that you could ask to drive their $110k boat prior to the commitment.. i feel you may be in for a shock, coming from your crownline.. IMHO.. Excited for you and would love to see pics if/when you get a boat
Old     (Astepatatime)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-10-2013, 6:39 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by EPIC View Post
Have you been able to drive a x45 or a x55? i would honestly try to find someone in your area that you could ask to drive their $110k boat prior to the commitment.. i feel you may be in for a shock, coming from your crownline.. IMHO.. Excited for you and would love to see pics if/when you get a boat
EPIC - what kind of shock do you mean? I know the V-drive will handle differently than my I/O sterndrive. Reverse steering being the biggest issue. Are you talking about ride quality, handling, or something else?

The analogy I've tried to give me wife is that we'd be moving from a nice, high end family sedan to a sports car. Agree?

Thanks
Old    EPIC            03-10-2013, 6:55 PM Reply   
its a whole new world in a v drive... to me anyways...