Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (JulieAnn)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-02-2011, 10:15 AM Reply   
So I went wakeboarding for the first time a couple weeks ago, got up, played in the wake, and was able to get to the heel side flats.. I went out again on Memorial Day but the water was pretty choppy, so I just tried to hold on

Anyway, I will be going out again on Sunday and want to try and do the heel side slide in the wake and then practice some carving out on the flats.. anyone have any tips or advice for me?

Thanks!!
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       06-02-2011, 1:35 PM Reply   
www.learnwake.com. $10.00 a month. They have very good information and videos with coaches that you can post videos to for them to help you out. I am new also and joined. The site really helped me along with my wife and kids on the basics.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-02-2011, 8:13 PM Reply   
when doing the heelside boardslide don't let your arms go up and out like a zombie, otherwise you will catch one gnarly toeside edge. another way to say it is, dont let the handle get closer to the boat than your toes while sliding. this kind of trick will also help you to not catch those nasty toeside edges... by putting you more at risk for them... if done lazily/wrong

when you get to jumping, this will be super helpful. it will be helpful now in fact. it happens to be from learn wake. it is a sampler video.
http://www.wakeworld.com/news/featur...ariations.html

and check these out too to help you toeside edges and eventually jumps
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQx9d9N04KY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqAheageD9c

wakeboards are symmetrical, take advantage of this. learn to ride toeside and heelside with both left and right foot forward. it will make things easier in the long run, and more fun too
Old     (JulieAnn)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-06-2011, 7:05 AM Reply   
okay, so I went out over the weekend, on my new board! which is significantly smaller than the one I was using before.. 140 down to 130.. anyway, I didn't even try to do the heelside boardslide, BUT, I did work on going back and forth from the heel side flats to the toe side flats.. the first time I tried toe side on Saturday night it was awesome.. I had decent form (for a beginner) I had my upper body twisted so that my chest was to the sky.. and I could feel it. I could lean on the rope a lot more and I even broke my fins loose which was AWESOME! , but then yesterday when we went out, I tried again, but my form was off and I couldn't get as low as I did on Saturday night, same board.. and also, I was having trouble even getting over the wake.. I leaned as much as I could but took forever to get over the wake.. any tips?
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-06-2011, 7:12 AM Reply   
"I leaned as much as I could but took forever to get over the wake.. any tips?"

This is your problem. Without photos, I assume you are leaning to try to change direction. This is a common mistake for beginners. You need to learn how to edge. There should be many threads covering this on this forum.
Old     (JulieAnn)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-06-2011, 7:28 AM Reply   
I'm trying to post a couple pics, but can't get it to work
Old     (JulieAnn)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-06-2011, 7:36 AM Reply   

Old     (JulieAnn)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-06-2011, 7:37 AM Reply   
Old     (JulieAnn)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-06-2011, 7:38 AM Reply   
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-06-2011, 8:01 AM Reply   
Your bending at the waist.you need to push your hips forward and don't twist at your hips.Stand on your board and tighten your quads and your glutes.Then just have some bend in your knees,they are your suspension.YOUR body should be straight from your knees to your shoulders.LEAN against the line,There is a toeside drill on learnwake .com like Jamie mentioned it's very helpful.GOOD LUCK!
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-06-2011, 6:10 PM Reply   
Julie these pictures of my wife wakeboarding may help you.The first one is of her on toeside cut out for a heelside wake jump.The second one is a heelside cut out for a toeside wake jump.
Attached Images

Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       06-06-2011, 6:45 PM Reply   
Completely unrelated to the thread, Robert your wife is awesome for rocking what look like Factory Pilots on the water. Love it.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-06-2011, 7:12 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminp View Post
Completely unrelated to the thread, Robert your wife is awesome for rocking what look like Factory Pilots on the water. Love it.
She wears contacts and is afraid of losing them.The first picture is the first time she rode without them.But only because we didn't have them on our old boat we had just sold.We were showing the new owners how easy it is to wakeboard.
Old     (JulieAnn)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-07-2011, 2:21 PM Reply   
Thanks Robert, the pics really helped!.. i'll definitley try and mimic her form when I get out on Sunday
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-07-2011, 11:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwb4me View Post
She wears contacts and is afraid of losing them.The first picture is the first time she rode without them.But only because we didn't have them on our old boat we had just sold.We were showing the new owners how easy it is to wakeboard.
good luck julie and have fun. it may or may not help, but i like to think of edging (toeside or heelside) as playing tug of war with the boat. if your someone who likes analogies

sorry to tangent
but for contact wearers, if you splash your eyes with water before riding it will suck the contacts to your eyes. there is something about plain h2o that is like glue for contacts. i wear floating sunglasses when i ride too though, but i do it solely for the sun protection. those glasses are off in a second when i fall and the contacts could go with them if i forget to splash my face before riding.

Last edited by wakerider111; 06-07-2011 at 11:22 PM.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-08-2011, 1:28 PM Reply   
My wife rarely falls and if she does she has already let go of the rope.The glasses are just a security blanket to make her more comfortable.Just like her i wear a helmet[tom foshee model]because i've had several concussions.I know the helmet won't prevent concussions,but it helps.Have fun Julie and i hope the pics help.
Old     (JulieAnn)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-13-2011, 8:04 AM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/news/featur...age-drill.html

I went out again yesterday, worked on my toeside.. wow, I can't beleive how much just leaning against the rope helped.. I got over the wake with no problem at all.. I tried the Toeside leverage drill (for all of 2 seconds.. its hard to do!) and felt like my form improved tons..then brought my lead hand back and worked on holding that form.. my boyfriend commented and said that I would definitley be happy with how it looked on the video we were taking.. I looked it over last night, I still am just barley bent over.. just a teeny bit when getting over the wake, but TONS better than a week ago.. then I straighten my legs out more when i'm in the flats.. I even got some spray! .. i'll have to post some video later.. I think you all will be proud ha!..

Thanks again for all of your tips!
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-13-2011, 12:48 PM Reply   
Congrats Julie!Keep using the video as a tool.It shows you small body position changes you can make.Repeated drills engrave muscle memory and form good habits.Keep up the good work.