Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       10-06-2010, 4:07 PM Reply   
I have an idea and am near to making an offer but thought I would offer a discussion point.

Subject boat: 2004 Moomba XLV gravity on 2008 aluminum inboard trailer, 5.7 Indmar. PP

Condition: Project boat. Hull structurally sound, scattered impact gel crazing on topsides, minimal grounding abrasion, black sides oxidized. Engine is FUBAR. V drive OK. 2YO FW cooling package in good shape. Seat skins are toast. Stereo 1/2 toast. Prop needs re-con. Needs a drip less box. Ballast will need work. Boat pretty well taken apart but all pieces are there.
Salt water.

First am I correct that this boat in average running condition will market for mid to low 20s'?
If not then whats one worth?

I figure a cash influx of +- 12K will be needed for a full restore.

That leaves a pretty low ball offer, after all why bother with the restore if I am only near even when done? Just buy the running good looking boat first, right?

It must still be good deal when I am done.

I have at or above dealer level skills, tools and facilities but limited time.

BTW I run in salt so anything I buy will require some mods. Even a SW series anybrand.

Please discuss.
John
Old     (saberworks)      Join Date: Sep 2010       10-06-2010, 4:57 PM Reply   
Shortage of time already? Buy a boat in good shape and go use it.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-06-2010, 7:29 PM Reply   
Assuming that you'd want to use the boat around spring time. Can you pull it off in 6 months? 8 months? Thats June.

For the right guy, looking for a project, and has the skills & time to do it. I'd say it's worth maybe $5 - $7k.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       10-07-2010, 4:02 AM Reply   
Thanks Bill, that is the target range as of now. How much depreciation on average does SW useage bring. All things being equal, two boats-average shape one all sweet and one run in salt. I am talking general market stigma. Am I close at 20% off?
Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       10-07-2010, 4:38 AM Reply   
If Bill K is right and you offer 5 to 7 then you put 12 in it I would think you will be near what you can buy one for. Add in the fact that your time is limited and winter is setting in and someone will be looking to get out from under a large payment and my decision would be to find a good running boat.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       10-17-2010, 12:04 AM Reply   
It's probably worth $10k in that condition to a dealer or to a rider who doesn't care about much of what is on the towing side the other end of the rope.
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-17-2010, 7:17 PM Reply   
Is the motor worth rebuilding? I'd be looking at a diesel if it were me, paint the thing, never worry about salt again. I ride in salt too and I've gone the rebuilt 350 route. Even the sweet anodising we got doesn't last.

That cooling gear has to be worth something, I know a Mercruiser radiator aint cheap... If it's already apart then someone has done a quarter of your work for you already.

I think it would be pretty ambitious offering 10 and still coming out ahead at the end, even if you do most of the work yourself. Which is worth more, your time or your money and the skin on your knuckles? I'd aim for somewhere around 6 - 7 seeing as there are a lot of little things on top of the one big problem.