Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 12, 2008

Old     (tlatoani)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-02-2007, 8:41 AM Reply   
I had pretty much decided on an 01 SAN that I found fairly close...and then I found an 03 22SSV Supra that is a bit less money, is in better shape(looks new), and has more options (tandem trailer, bimini, heater). Is this a step down? This will mostly be a family boat-I intend to teach my boys to get some air over the years (and get better myself of course).

thanks
Old     (j_trip_33)      Join Date: Jun 2006       11-02-2007, 9:05 AM Reply   
I've had my 03 SSV for 4 years now and put 600 hours on it. I haven't had any major issues with mine at all. The only complaint I have is lack of storage space when the gravity bags are full. The SSV will give you more seating room than the 01 SAN. Also consider Perfect Pass, boats back then didn't always come standard with it. I wouldn't buy another boat without PP. More than likely boat warranties are out so that shouldn't come into play.

Personally I wouldn't consider it a step down. I've been on a few older SANs like you mention and they are great boats. I don't think your friends will laugh at you if you roll up in an 03 SSV instead of a SAN.
Old     (watsoc)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-02-2007, 9:05 AM Reply   
If you are teaching your kids to ride for the first time and want a family boat with more room then you really can't go wrong with the Supra. I have a 2000 SAN and it is lacking somewhat in room and it throws a monster wake that is steep and may not be the best to teach kids on but I love it none the less. Either way you can't go wrong and they are both great boats. The SAN will hold its resale better due to being a time tested hull that riders love but the SSV throws a very solid wake that will provide you and your family with years of good times. Have fun either way and it sounds like you have a tough decision to make.
Old    K.B.C.            11-02-2007, 10:20 AM Reply   
I own a 210 also. Based on your needs it sounds to me like the Supra would be the better option for you.
Old     (dansmith)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-02-2007, 10:26 AM Reply   
I had an '02 SSV and echo what Jamie said. Lack of storage was my only complaint, but that was mainly when we had > 4 people and full ballast. It also depends on if you have the Gravity Games version of the ballast (400 in each V-Drive, 1K in the ski locker) vs. the 'normal' version (250 in each V-Drive, 600 in ski locker).
In the Gravity Games, there is no space once filled. In the normal, you can still fit vests & backpacks in the back.
And there is no way that wake will hold you or your kids back.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-02-2007, 6:49 PM Reply   
Gonna say go with the Supra as well.

The Supra will have more room, the ability to progress from a mellow wake to a monster depending on your likes, and it's a generally more comfortable layout.

I love my SAN, for performance, that's why I bought it. As a family boat there are many others I would have considered instead.
Old     (eargasm)      Join Date: May 2007       11-02-2007, 6:59 PM Reply   
Supra!
Old     (nautiquesonly)      Join Date: Sep 2007       11-02-2007, 7:07 PM Reply   
I had a 00 210 for five years and loved it. Very awesome wakeboard boat and extremely good quality. Mine just seemed to get smaller every year so I bought a new nauti 236. Even though I wouldn't think of not buying a nautique I don't think you can go wrong with the larger supra.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       11-02-2007, 7:46 PM Reply   
I will say the supra isn'ta step down. SAN's are great boats no doubt, but the wakes can be intimidating for sure to beginners. Also very tight inside them for gear and families. A true top notch boat geared for pro level wakes and hard core riders. Not so geared towards family and cruising if you ask me

I would go Supra SSV all the way. Very user and family friendly. The wakeplate will help teach your newbies at a much faster rate if you ask me.
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       11-02-2007, 8:28 PM Reply   
If you like to surf the 01-06 SSV has the best surf wake I have ever rode. I got to spend alot of time behind both 01 SAN and 04 SSV (same as 03) Both had world class wakes I like the Supra Better. I agree with everyone else above that the SAN was real steep and is by todays standards old school. Todays best wakes are more rampy with longer transitions that allow longer rope lengths at greater speeds. GOD I miss that surf wake! too
Old     (tlatoani)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-02-2007, 10:06 PM Reply   
Checked out the SAN today. It wasn't in great shape. I've really noticed how they don't feel very deep. Are all wakeboard boats like that? It's ok, the seats just seem really low...
Old    K.B.C.            11-03-2007, 7:59 AM Reply   
the 210 does not have much freeboard. Many of the newer style wake boats have A LOT more.

and I couldn't disagree more with this statement, "the SAN was real steep and is by todays standards old school. Todays best wakes are more rampy with longer transitions that allow longer rope lengths at greater speeds."

It's all personal preference. IMO the newer big rampy wakes aren't even close to as much fun as a 210 or 205V.
Old    K.B.C.            11-03-2007, 8:06 AM Reply   
...and the shape doesn't have much to do with speed or line length. Most people actually ride a longer line on a 210 due to the more narrow width of the wake and smaller transition
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       11-12-2007, 6:39 AM Reply   
I just had the opportunity to purchase a new boat and it came down to a SSV and a 210. I LOVED them both. But when it came down to it, i went w/ the SSV... More seating area, hydraulic wakeplate, and several years newer for the same $$$ -- not to mention less hrs.. A nautique of the same year/vintage will and hsould hold it's value a bit better, but in my case they should be comparable for the next 4 years or so.... Good luck w/ your decision...