Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-22-2005, 5:57 AM Reply   
My nephew wants to surf but he's having a hard time getting up on our Landlock. Any suggestions on getting him up?
Old    surfdad            07-22-2005, 8:17 AM Reply   
Hey Ronia. The kids are so easy, they usually just pop right up. When you say hard time getting up, are you saying that they can't get the deep water start down? If so, I have found that using what we call a faster-slower start works. Have the boy in the water, the board in front of him and then very very slowly take the board forward. With his feet a little off center, towards his heelside edge, have him PUSH the board down...the gradual forward motion should cause the board to flip. From there it's a standard deep water start.

If that's not the issue, can you be more specific. There are a ton of folks willing to help.
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-22-2005, 8:43 AM Reply   
We haven't tried the standard deep water start. Can you explain how to do that?

I tried having him place his feet on the board with the board laying flat on the water and then had him try to "flip it up" at idle speed ... but he couldnt' do that. Then I tried to have him hold the board at his feet (already flipped up) but he couldnt' do that either. The board is pretty big, 5'6"
Old    surfdad            07-22-2005, 4:43 PM Reply   
Yeah...Ronia, try this next time. Have him shift his feet towards the heelside edge just a bit...then to push down on the board as you drive forward. It shouldn't take much all he wants to do is basically lift the front edge of the board out of the water, then the pressure from moving forward should flip the board up. You can have him practice in the water, just try and lift the leading edge of the board out of the water by pushing on the trailing edge.

Also check this page out:

http://www.howtowakesurf.com/HowToWakesurf.jsp

Old    4sher            07-22-2005, 4:48 PM Reply   
When trying to learn how to get up an "flip the board" we tell people to put pressure on their heels and bring the board to their feet, and not to bring their feed to the board
Old     (dhcomp)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-22-2005, 7:01 PM Reply   
I got a 12yr old up on a Obrien Alias 4'6" board first try. He popped right up on the wakeboard, then the same on the surf board. He would have ridden the wave and dropped the handle had our boat been setup for goofy foot riding.
Old     (breadbutta)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-25-2005, 1:53 PM Reply   
For beginning boarders (wake or surf) I think a lot of the success rides on the shoulders of the driver. I watch the rider and vary the throttle depending on how they are doing. For a little guy you should be able to get him on his feet just over idle. If he is slipping out accellerate, if he's being pulled over the nose then slow a little.
Make sure you tell him to relax and have fun! It'll come.
Old    tige_kid            07-25-2005, 2:53 PM Reply   
"and then had him try to "flip it up" at idle speed"

Go a little faster then idle speed so the board sticks to his feet better. If that doesnt work then just have him set his heels on the board and when you take off if all goes well he should be up.
Old    surfdad            07-31-2005, 6:50 AM Reply   
It just occurred to me as we were out on the water yesterday. We typically pull from the ski pylon off the back of the boat, just in front of the engine, but I lost that rope, so we shortened a 70 foot rope and tied it to the tower. It's MUCH easier to get up when being pulled from the tower...so young'uns and us older folks with bad knees/backs can benefit from this location also.
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       07-31-2005, 12:08 PM Reply   
Jeff,
Did that rope to the tower and it is night and day. As much as I struggle to get up because of my size and knees the tower was effortless for me. I will never go back. Also, I have some ideas for a board we must talk.
Old    surfdad            07-31-2005, 3:06 PM Reply   
Yeah, I found the same thing Dennis, it really felt like it just LIFTED me on top of the board. Buzz me at the office tomorrow and if you have any design elements you want send me an email spelling it out. I can shape it and then you can drop by before I glass it to make sure it's perfect for you.
Old     (lovinpowell)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-02-2005, 8:50 AM Reply   
We just taught our 9 year old to wakesurf this past week at Lake Powell. He was having trouble getting up on a Liquid Force Skim Skate. Then we had him "get the feel" for it by pulling him up, using the swim deck as if it were the wake surfer. Once he understood how it felt, he got up right away and hasn't looked back. He loves it so much that he cries when we tell him that it's somebody elses turn. I've attached a picture.

Wake Surfing at Lake Powell
Old     (lambertn)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-17-2005, 6:18 PM Reply   
hey,
i've taught a bunch of beginners this summer(and was one at the start of summer). here's my quick advice. step guidelines..
1) have them place their feet on the board with it lying flat in the water. the feet should be slightly to the back and heelside of the board.
2) make sure they focus on straight arms (so it pulls on skeleton) and bent legs.
3) once they are ready push down with their heels as hard as they can.
4) the pressure will build and then you push your hips forward(upward) and front foot forward.
5) HOLD ON!!!!!

if they are falling off the back then weight forward and vice versa.

good luck
Old     (niap101)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-20-2005, 6:02 AM Reply   
The above picture shows a common beginner's mistake. The young man in the picture is heel heavy on the board. This causes the board to ride mostly on the outside rail. The board will tend to pull away from the wave and just not ride well. Most of a rider's weight, especially beginners, needs to be on the toe side when riding toe side and the heel side when riding heel side. We teach beginners on our Trick Boardz and Surf Skates to have their toes positioned on the inside edge of the board. At least with our boards, you cannot go too toe heavy. Does that apply to other boards as well?
Old    surfdad            08-20-2005, 6:35 AM Reply   
LOL, Larry, in the field we call that catching an edge, a face plant or slamming the door. :-) With your Trick Boardz a rider can bury the nose and recover...to my knowldege, there isn't another board on the market that can achieve that. Something else folks who teach a bunch of youngsters might want to consider, the Trick Boardz are the easiest to manipulate in the water when not moving. They have a more neutral bounancy, so getting a 12 year old into the proper position isn't work. Less frustration = more productive teaching.