Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 11, 2007

Old     (jody7290)      Join Date: Jan 2005       01-04-2007, 10:08 PM Reply   
I would love to own a true wakeboard boat(Mastercraft,Tige,ect.) but I dont. Would like to hear of some of your tricks that you have done behind an I/O.
Old     (flboarder)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-04-2007, 10:22 PM Reply   
I just own an I/O too, but I ride behind my friends wakeboard boats. Even though the I/O doesnt have as big of a wake it is still fun to just ride and work on your technique. I have learned so much more behind my boat having to do with good technique, because without good form behind our boats with little wakes you would not get any air, so it forces you to learn the right way, and it really helps when you get the chance to ride behind boats with a big wake. as far as tricks go I can only do 180's but thats about all I can do behind the wake boats. I am still learning and having a blast doing it. So go out and have fun behind your I/O because it is better to ride and learn new things than to not ride at all.

Charlie
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-04-2007, 10:32 PM Reply   
There was a video posted awhile back of a guy behind an outboard fishing skiff that was killing it. Multiple spins including 5's, and a handful of inverts. It may be tougher to learn, but it can be done. Buy some of the early wakeboard videos for inspiration.
Old    murrayair            01-04-2007, 11:22 PM Reply   
I can do most of my flips and spins behind an I/O that I do behind my inboard. In my experience, the type of edge you take into the wake has more to do with pulling the trick off than the wake itself. Sure, you won't get nearly as much air, but tantrums, backrolls, 360s, etc. are still achievable behind a small wake.
Old     (alindquist)      Join Date: Mar 2004       01-05-2007, 8:13 AM Reply   
I have an IO and can do the exact same tricks behind it that I can do behind a "Real Wakeboard Boat". Basically the same stuff Mark D is talking about... IMO it's more skill than the boat...
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-05-2007, 8:31 AM Reply   
Most impressive I've seen is a whirlybird. (Behind a fishing outboard) Really hard in my opinion because of the great need for pop to do that trick.
Old     (sunsport)      Join Date: Sep 2002       01-05-2007, 11:44 AM Reply   
We ride behind an I/O and I like the wake better. Everyone of my 12 inverts I learned behind it except for a toeside roll to revert. The wake is steeper, shaped more like a 1/4 pipe. You end up going up more than out. It seems easier for tantrum, front flip based moves, and spins, but a little bit more difficult for backroll based moves. When I ride behind a "real wakeboard boat" I can't land all my tricks.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-05-2007, 11:52 AM Reply   
I have seen a whirlybird behind an outboard boat. It was on wakepics.com.

I learned both hs and ts bs 180s behind an I/O. I was also landing the basic inverts and spins behind one with a monster tower.
Old    alanp            01-05-2007, 12:16 PM Reply   
i used to own an i/o and travis probst and i would ride together frequently. he simply killed it. good riders can ride behind anything. granted he wasnt going to land a w2w 7 but he could do pretty much anything he wanted.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-05-2007, 12:21 PM Reply   
I did a 82mph rumpside whirlybird ,landing blind with a slice of lime on a kite tube once.
Old    innov8actionsports.com            01-05-2007, 12:24 PM Reply   
hahahaYou are killin me Billy.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-05-2007, 2:17 PM Reply   
It damn near killed me!!!!!!!!!
Old     (truebeachbum)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-05-2007, 6:56 PM Reply   
I did a 1440 off a double up behind a 12 ft. row boat
Old     (richmondrider)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-05-2007, 9:21 PM Reply   
I wakeboarded behind an old See-Doo Speedster jet boat for the first five seasons. I've seen jet-skis with bigger wakes than this boat. My friend fabricated a pole/tower contraption that mounted on the back of the boat. One day I decided a railey couldn't be that hard to do, so I cut as hard as I could and hucked it...and almost landed it. I spend countless attempts trying backrole after backrole. I was to the point where I expected not to land it when I tried it. One day I threw one, and to my surprise, I landed it. My friend landed his first scarecrow on the first attempt behind that boat, it wasn't pretty but he landed it. Could also do 3's and wrapped 5's. Tricks can definately be done on smaller wakes so don't let that be a mental block for you, just keep working on your technique.
Old     (wakesetter101)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-06-2007, 8:16 AM Reply   
I think most everyone gets caught up in "must have a big wake" and really dont need it.
Old    DRA            01-06-2007, 8:37 AM Reply   
Brady Sammons did a Slim Chance behind a Reniell at the Wet Wednesdays last year in Old town Sac. It was sick.
Old     (wakedoctor)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-07-2007, 7:39 AM Reply   
I can do anything behind an I/O that I can my Mastercraft. To me a boat is a boat, but the wake is the main factor. Not the size but just the pop. Even though the Mastercraft is a salom boat at heart I can land backrolls all day behind it with just the 400 lbs of metal I have in it.
Old     (john30)      Join Date: Nov 2003       01-07-2007, 4:18 PM Reply   
Gonna have to give props to my home skillet Zack Carney for throwing a whirly behind his 17' G-tron outboard with no tower. It's on wakepics if you type in whirly. I think his name is zcarnage on that site.