Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 10, 2007

Old     (nasty530)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-30-2007, 7:29 PM Reply   
What do you guys think about this boat to turn into a wakeboard boat. Ie 3k lb ballast, custom tower, system. How would the wake compare? What would fair prices to pay for each step be? Any other advice?
Old     (tmills)      Join Date: May 2006       09-04-2007, 1:22 PM Reply   
I had a 98 225V maristar.. put a tower ($1500, speakers $400, amp 200 and a ballast system..2000$ (I got robbed on the ballast system.. I would go with the fly high system if I had a second chance.) If you throw 3K in ballast, it will be big wake as it is the same hull as the old X-star. I loved the boat for the family.
The other thing is when I sold it (2 years ago..upgraded to and 05 X-star) it held it's value really well.

Good luck
Old    K.B.C.            09-04-2007, 1:31 PM Reply   
the 225v is not the same hull as the old X-Star, that is the 205v
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-04-2007, 1:40 PM Reply   
Definitely not the same hull. I had the same boat, t-bag. We added a Boss tower and 1000lbs of sacs in the rear and ski locker.
The wake was still small.
Pros: Tons of room and power as well as held its value
Cons: ROUGH ride in chop
Old     (nasty530)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-04-2007, 7:38 PM Reply   
I already have the boat so at this point its just a matter of going all out on the tower and whatnot or just keeping it realistic. I got a smokin deal on the boat and picked it up for $17k with only 172 hrs on it so either way I'm gonna hold onto it for a bit. Anybody have an idea what I could expect to sell it for with all of the upgrades on it?
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-05-2007, 6:40 AM Reply   
"Anybody have an idea what I could expect to sell it for with all of the upgrades on it?"

Less that the price of the boat plus the cost of the upgrades. Sorry, that's just how these thing work.
Old     (wakedoctor)      Join Date: Dec 2004       09-05-2007, 10:41 AM Reply   
Not so, inboards hold their value very well. With it being a MC you could easily get your money back out of it at the right time of the year. However, just because you add 5k worth of speakers and a tower doesn't mean that your boat value will rise 5k.
Old    K.B.C.            09-05-2007, 11:12 AM Reply   
usually a tower, PP, ballast will add additional value although it may not be dollar for dollar.
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-05-2007, 11:25 AM Reply   
"However, just because you add 5k worth of speakers and a tower doesn't mean that your boat value will rise 5k."

And that's my point. He's not going to get his money back out of the upgrades. The boat itself might hold it's value or even go up a bit in value but if he puts $5K of upgrades in his $17K boat, it's still not going to sell for $22K later.

The best item to put on the boat for resale purposes is probably the tower. That usually gets you about $600-$800. The worst items are all stereo-related. My cousin is painfully learning that lesson now that he's selling his Sport Nautique. Nobody cares about his amps, subwoofers, or tower speakers. They make his boat attractive but don't make it worth more than a boat without those things.