Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 22, 2008

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-14-2008, 9:22 PM Reply   
i hope this topic aint too weird. or that i am looking into this too much (i am really)

It seems everyone gets their boots on differently (even for the same boot) and I see these ways can be classified under 3 major ways:

1. ONE FLUID MOTION-Foot goes straight in, no twisting, little pulling. just one fluid motion really
2. THE FOOT TWIST-The rider twists his/her foot back and forth, getting the foot deeper by degrees
3. GORILLA GRIP- half or more of the effort of getting on the boots is applied to the gorilla grips, with the hands and arms pulling the whole body it seems into the boot.

I want to think that methods 2-3 would wear the boot out faster, especially 3. working at Powell with beginners it seems all beginners are #3 or are #2 AND #3. it makes me cringe, i am sure that gorilla grip is gona pop off, and the liner is gona get worn or tear, like i have seen on some of the rental gear.

I feel like i am classified in the #1 type... be it my SS D2 boots, a zeus hinge boot, or whatever boot probably (no i have not tried all boots on the market)

Any one know how to teach people to get a typical wake boot on with little effort (lube doesn't count, though i know it is a good idea)?
I want to think that it is all in the years of EXPERIENCE getting on boots. I have yet to figure out how to teach that "experience" to people.

I've seen guys with as much experience as me (if not more) use the "twist" (#2) method to get on their boots. Maybe they are trying to break them in, make 'em "softer". or maybe it is just habitual, how they get on any shoe or boot? I just find it odd.

getting OUT of the boots is almost the same scenario. ;(