Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-23-2013, 6:36 AM Reply   
For the last few years I have lived in where I had a lot of light control in my living room and because of that have used a projector/screen as my main tv.

Recently just bought a new place and my Optoma HD20 @ 1500 lumens won't cut the mustard due to the amount of windows in the living room.

.... I've been shopping ~70" TVs and even those seem small after getting use to 110" screen for years.

I'm looking at this projector as a solution - http://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-TH1060P.htm
- It is rated at 4500 lumens.... which would be 3x brighter than before. Based on the photo(s) below, any idea if this projector would be a viable option in a room with as much light as you see below?... or should I start to make peace with having to get a TV.

Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-23-2013, 8:59 AM Reply   
Don't know much about projectors but your other options are to pain the walls darker or replace the window coverings with something darker at least on the side fo the room that the picture would be on. Otherwise yes, it may be better to get a TV for the day time and save the projector for the evenings.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-23-2013, 9:32 AM Reply   
Quote:
replace the window coverings with something darker at least on the side fo the room that the picture would be on.
The window coverings we have now were soooo expensive, I really don't want to have to replace them.... each of the windows are like 4'x6' and there are like 12 of them in this room... it would be a ****ty task.

The Mrs. has given me a $2,000 tv / projector budget (ridiculous a grown ass man is told how much of his own money he can spend).... so my front runners are that Optoma projector with 4500 lumens ($950) or a 70" Vizio LED (~$1500) .
... I would love plasma for the picture quality, but the windows and/or glare would be an issue again.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-24-2013, 8:18 AM Reply   
.... well the AVS forums tore that projector a new one in terms of HT quality....so its out.

My biggest love of having the large screen was football saturday/sunday having multiple games on the Direct TV game mix and each screen large enough to actually seen. Mrs's approval pending, what I might do is get a 60" TV and then have two 32" stack on the side, the heights of the displays is almost dead even (if the 32's are thin bezel).... I could still have 3 games at once, it should look too bad, I had a similar setup at my dads house .... and doing 2- 32's and a 1- 60" should bring me in around $1100
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-24-2013, 11:21 AM Reply   
Only way to solve your problem is going to be with a regular tv, or with blackout style blinds. I own a blind and window covering business and have seen your situation many many times. The room is going to hve to be dark.