Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-16-2011, 10:07 AM Reply   
Has anyone ever just gone to the airport with their bags packed and no idea were they were going?

I always hear people talking about it but no one actually does it. My buddy and I are planning on doing this very soon. Going in and taking a look at the last minute flights board. should be fun. Definitly make for an interesting weekend.
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-16-2011, 11:59 AM Reply   
Nope, but I once rented a car in Dallas and headed west with no specific plan. Ended up driving as far as Vegas. Along the way I stopped at all the typical tourist spots. I took a helicopter ride around the Grand Canyon, hit the Vegas strip, and then spent a few days mountain biking in Arizona. Except for meeting up with an old college roommate in Phoenix, I did the trip by myself. It was one of the best vacations I've ever taken.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-16-2011, 12:27 PM Reply   
My buddy just did this recently. He split with his wife and already had a vacation planned and time off work. Went to the airport with a back pack. Couple pairs of boards shorts, flip flops and a toothbrush. He caught a flight Thailand, then jumped a boat to one of the small islands. Then jumped around for a week grabbing rooms or huts where ever he ended up. The pics looked amazing. All told he spent around $1k for a 10 day trip. Super cheap.

Totally something I've dreamt of doing. Definitely easier if you're by yourself and willing to go with the flow.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       05-16-2011, 12:46 PM Reply   
I've done it quite a few times, but my wife used to work for continental years ago. Ended up at some pretty cool places.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-16-2011, 1:00 PM Reply   
Evan, want to go? Its deffinitly what epic trips are made of.
Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-16-2011, 2:49 PM Reply   
sounds awesome! I would love to do a trip like that. I can think of only a couple of people I would be able to do this with. Definitely takes a go with the flow mindset...
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-16-2011, 2:57 PM Reply   
My friend did it with her boyfriend right after she graduated with her undergrad - a little adventure before grad school.... they ended up in Thailand too, he came back after like 6 months and she is still there.... ended up getting scuba certified and then master certified, and now she is an instructor there and that was like 10 months ago she left....

not quite what you're thinking I assume, but basically just went on a whim and never came back
Old     (magicr)      Join Date: May 2004       05-16-2011, 5:22 PM Reply   
Do it while your young and un-encumbered, me and a buddy took off when we were 19 and traveled the country by car. Had no idea where we were going to go, we were gone for 2 months and saw, and did things that there was no way that I could once I got married had kids and accumulated family responsibilities.

If you can swing it, do it while your young. You only live once...
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-17-2011, 3:33 PM Reply   
Hey, I'd love to.... but my wife would probably end me. Ha, ha, ha. You're young, man. Go for it. Have fun. Take lot's of pictures for us.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-17-2011, 4:46 PM Reply   
Evan.. Tell your wife we will only go to one strip club.. no big deal.

I will, I definitly want to document the whole adventure. I feel like this is going to end with me in mexico with no belongings. Oh well.

Does anyone recall a last minute flight board at SFO or OAK? I have been to alot of other airports that have them.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-18-2011, 12:33 PM Reply   
" I feel like this is going to end with me in mexico with no belongings "

Well, there are worse places to be left with no belongings. Ha, ha, ha.