Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 17, 2007

Old     (mrm2083)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-13-2007, 8:22 AM Reply   
I spend alot of tie in the bahamas, probably around 2 months out of the year. We go on our boat and tow a 24 ft center console. After seeing the CSX we have been debating trading in the X2 for a CSX. And then we will have a wakeboat/center console. Now the problem, it's only really worth it if the boat can be towed behind our big boat across the ocean. I know the hull is flat and the freeboard is low for the ocean. But we have towed 15ft whalers with flatter hulls and lower freeboard and they do just fine. My biggest concern is would a CSX fall apart or is it just as strong as a whaler?
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-13-2007, 9:09 AM Reply   
Spending some time in a CSX, I would have to say nothing is going to "fall apart" by towing to the Bahamas. You could trash any boat I guess with enough pounding and abuse. Does your X2 hold up fine in the intercoastal?
Old    00wakesetter            06-13-2007, 10:41 AM Reply   
That could be a very rough ride
Old     (jamieb)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-13-2007, 5:55 PM Reply   
wake boats just arent meant for pounding seas. I imagine it would take lots of water over the bow.

the whalers are much lighter and, no disrespect to MC, more durable. They are built for more utility type functions, and have the weight much further back, so they bounce over the waves instead of cutting through them.

I grew up cruising on sailboats up the inside of Vancouver Island and I wouldn't dream of towing my 'Bu across the straights. The CSX is probably better suited for it, but I cant see running it in big seas. How big does the chop get over there?
Old     (mrm2083)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-13-2007, 6:59 PM Reply   
Billy - My X2 does great in the intercoastal. I've taken it out in 4 footers and it does fine, I go under 20 mph but it definately handles it, i definately wouldnt tow it to the bahamas though lol. I know wakeboats should definately not be towed but the CSX seems very boston-whaler ish. By the way here is one of the whalers we used to tow, Rage 15 jet boat, it has super low freeboard and no deep V, but it was built like a tank. As far as water over the bow, it doesn't matter as long as the boat is self bailing, which the csx is. The problem is towing the boat just beats it to hell and i have seen sub-par center consoles have the console rip off, delaminate, sink, etc. Here are some pics of a 15 rage, definately not an ocean boat, lol. Upload
Upload