Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 02, 2007

Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-30-2007, 6:55 PM Reply   
Why Don't The Pros Do The Raley Based Tricks in Competition Anymore? The Krypt? 311? Hoochie Glide? RALEY?!? All I See Is The 313! What Happend?
Old     (zuka666)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-30-2007, 6:59 PM Reply   
There knee's can't take the abuse of daily torture! Let's hear differently!?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-30-2007, 7:01 PM Reply   
They don't score well in a pro format with the exception of maybe a 313. The batwing is common, although I'm not sure why. Every pro can probably do one blind folded.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-30-2007, 7:04 PM Reply   
You never see them fall on them. Murray never does on the blind judge, although he still does them. Watkins, and some other Aussis, still do S-Bends. Atkinson does 311s. I just don't think the judges look at them as the same difficulty as mobe and mobe 5's.
I'm not saying that if you fall the risk is less, just that for most of the guys that pull them off on a daily basis hit them every time, opposed to mobe 5's and mobydicks and such...
Just my thought.
Old     (zuka666)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-30-2007, 7:11 PM Reply   
True true, the fall's are devastating...difficulty is minimal. All or nothing tricks...
Old     (boss210)      Join Date: Jun 2006       05-30-2007, 7:11 PM Reply   
those are the sickest looking moves no mater how the judges score them.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-30-2007, 7:20 PM Reply   
The pro tour judges in part are looking for disciplines, ie; H/S & T/S spins, H/S & T/S mobes, H/S & T/S raley based tricks, switch tricks, grabs etc. This shows the rider can complete a verity of both H/S, T/S & switch. Trevor most of the riders on the tour have a raley based trick in their pass. Murray's Blind Judge is pretty sick to see, BIGGGGGG
Old     (projectely4)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-30-2007, 7:34 PM Reply   
the batwing is the only cool looking trick of any raley based trick and i wouldn't even call it raley based being most people can do them before they do a ts raley.

personally the reason why pros dont do raley based tricks imo is that they are the gayest looking tricks in the sport.
Old     (jetpilotz)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-30-2007, 8:57 PM Reply   
The raley imo is the premier, face of wakeboarding trick. By this I mean if someone was going to make a tshirt or logo of some sort, they probly wouldn't have the rider doing a technical trick, they would more than likely be in the mist of a raley.

(Message edited by jetpilotz on May 30, 2007)
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-30-2007, 9:06 PM Reply   
First of all, raley based tricks don't hurt your knees at all, you actually land suprisingly soft. Secondly, tons of pros still put a variation in their runs, look at all of the glides they are doing. You see a nuclear, tail, or indy glide in probably every other run.
Old    110outlet            05-30-2007, 9:14 PM Reply   
S bend and vulcons are pretty popular as well as the 313. S bend is usually a what Ike and Parks start with. My fav is hoochie to blind judge but ya dont see that often in comp.
Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-30-2007, 10:33 PM Reply   
Collin Ryan from MN has one of the sickest hoochie to blinds off the DU out there. Andy Nintzel has a vid of it think.

Andy post it!
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-30-2007, 10:35 PM Reply   
What is a 311? Thought it was a band, but is it a wakeboard trick?

I know what a 313 is.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-30-2007, 11:12 PM Reply   
there is no such thing a 311
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       05-31-2007, 6:06 AM Reply   
You dont see alot of big raley based tricks because of the time it takes to do them. The setup, execution, and landing take up alot of course realestate. They only got so much course to get so many tricks in. There are other tricks that score better that dont take up near the time.

They look cool and are fun to do, but they are also the easiest trick for any seasoned rider to do. This will impress the judges about as much as waving to them would.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       05-31-2007, 6:52 AM Reply   
Heres a link to the Hoochie to Blind. It is sick. Colin does then in contest all the time. Its Great, the annoucer always goes, "A big Hoochie Glide, Holy S##T did he land that Blind?" He usually follows that up with a wicked Crow Mobe 5. And then the top spot on the podium, punk.

I agree with J-rod why do so many pros do Batwings in Contest runs, they are actually fairly easy once you figure out the trick to it. I secretly hate Raley's I think that an regular raley is one of the lamer moves in wakeboarding, it just momentum.

Jason has a super good point it takes a lot of lake to set up for a big raley based move, think about all the set-up for an S-Bend.

Here's the link:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq_ucrE3rY4
in this video he does it at around 1:20

www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiUsUnpKpKo
this video its at 16 seconds.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       05-31-2007, 6:54 AM Reply   
here a few more.
www.wakepics.com/img/17518
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-31-2007, 7:00 AM Reply   
The last contest I watched was the Masters and since there were no sliders to hit, each rider had room to throw between 11-12 tricks. I saw 313's, batwings, an OHH, several S bends, Nuclear, Indy and Tail Glides and Murray even threw a huge Raley right before his official run started. I think it depends on the venue, if the pros have sliders to hit, then they have to maximize the points on their wake riding by hitting mobes and spins from the HS and TS.