Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 28, 2009

Old     (midwest_riders)      Join Date: Sep 2004       07-06-2009, 9:52 PM Reply   
I am looking at a boat and comparing a Supra 24SSV and Malibu 23 LSV. They are both fully loaded with options for wakeboarding. I am wondering what advice anyone has for me about how one compares to the other and what suggestions anyone might have. Thanks in advance.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-06-2009, 10:18 PM Reply   
Malibu. I own a Supra and don't plan to buy another one.
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-07-2009, 5:27 AM Reply   
Both are great boats I think the warranty is longer on the Supra. Have you test drove both?
You may want to check out the Nautique 230 also before you buy.
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-07-2009, 5:37 AM Reply   
I love both, but as a (bias) owner of a 24SSV, that's the way to go. My local dealer (Knoxville Watersports) has been great to deal with and wouldn't trade that for anything.
Old     (nschimm)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-07-2009, 6:13 AM Reply   
I have been pulled behind both and they are great boats. But seeing some of the issues my buddy has had with Supra and the way the dealer has handled it. I would go with the Malibu.
Old     (pacifichigh)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-07-2009, 6:43 AM Reply   
23LSV -- Killer out of the box wake(full ballast & wedge), roomy interior,unsurpassed fit and finish.
Old    pdxWAKE.com            07-07-2009, 7:08 AM Reply   
Here is my good honest impression after having experience with both.

#1 Which dealer do you like better? You will have a relationship with them and it is very important.
#2 The Malibu is a better handling boat when taking turns, etc.
#3 The Supra will give you more boat for your money.
#4 The wake behind both are great.
#5 The Supra is entirely upgradeable in terms of ballast with very little work. You simply unlpug bags and then plug in bigger bags and they are all completely hidden. I love that it is so easy to modify your ballast configuration at the flip of a switch.

With that being said I own a Supra now and these are the criteria I used. We have a great dealer in our area and Skiers Choice has always been a stand up company.
You can't really make a bad decision here as they are great boats. Good luck!
Old     (aaudii5150)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-07-2009, 8:04 AM Reply   
23 LSV I'm also bias.... I have one and love it! Bought it used and saved a ton, not to mention that that the guy before me made every upgrade and then some.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-07-2009, 8:41 AM Reply   
Drive, ride, and relax in them both and the decision will be very easy for you.
Old     (thesack)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-07-2009, 8:53 AM Reply   
One thing to consider as well is the number of people you typically have out on your boat with you.

I currently have a 21V, which is all around a good boat with a great wake when weighted properly. But when the family comes out we are cramped. I have been looking at the Supra 24, Malibu 23 LSV and 247, and Nautique 230. The Malibu's have the most room in them.
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-07-2009, 8:55 AM Reply   
What year models? If the Malibu has the power wedge I would go with the Malibu hands down. I've ridden both and own a Supra 22SSV, but I just think the wake behind the Malibu is easier to dial in, especially with the power wedge. The Supra's have great wakes, but they can be finicky and difficult to balance when you have guests on board who move from one side to another. It's pretty hard to get a Malibu to wash on one side or the other.

In the newer Malibu models all the stock ballast is under the floor leaving you tons of room to add additional ballast in the lockers should you choose. I'm also not a fan of the loveseat behind the drivers seat on the Supra's, but that's all personal preference.

In the end you will be happy with either. After all, it's not like you're going to hear people complaining about owning either of these boats. But if I had my choice I would take the Malibu.
Old     (wakeride26)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-07-2009, 9:02 AM Reply   
What year Supra and what year 23?
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-07-2009, 9:24 AM Reply   
I've only been on the Supra.... it was great.
I love the seating
Old     (midwest_riders)      Join Date: Sep 2004       07-07-2009, 4:09 PM Reply   
I am looking at a 2005 Supra 24SSV and a 2007 Malibu 23 LSV. Thanks for all the replies. It seems we have a few complete supporters of each one, but it is nice to hear why they each support their brand. I have been in a 24SSV, but not a 23 LSV. We have a Supra dealer around us, but not a Malibu dealer. However, there are a few dealers around us who are able to work on the Malibu.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Old     (gwnkids)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-07-2009, 5:22 PM Reply   
I have had both and as all have said each one has its strong points.
Supra
Easy to upgrade bags but the fill time is slow for the GG
The bags are exposed - if you carry stuff in the trunk they can puncture
Nice play pen and double up seat but makes for a smaller helm
Wake Plate - nice for the hole shot and fine tuneing the wake
Perfect Pass - better than the Malibu Cruse
Nice remote oil filter

Malibu
Power wedge - very nice for adding lip and for surfing
4 tanks below the floor
Easy to add the piggy back system (750s in the trunk) or plum additional 750 on top of the built in tanks with seperate 1200 pumps (my chioce)
Tons of storage under the seats
Towel warmer (over the engine)
Rope holder (over the trans)
Love the Tower with the sampson mirror
Easer impeller changes (every 100 hrs)

Both have nice wakes but I give the edge to Mailbu

You need to drive and ride both you cannot go wrong both are very nice.

PS My 07 23 LSV has the Hammerhead 400 hp with the 1273 prop I have not been behind the small motor loaded down.
Old     (midwest_riders)      Join Date: Sep 2004       07-08-2009, 12:52 PM Reply   
I would like to try the Power Wedge out. It sounds intriguing and allows for less water in the boat without sacrificing wake size.
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-08-2009, 1:36 PM Reply   
If those were my two choices I would have to go with the Malibu, they have a lot of little details in interior conviences and comfort that make the difference.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-08-2009, 7:42 PM Reply   
The dealer can make or break the brand loyalty. That's mostly what ruined it for me, but now I'm fixing all the piddly crap that the factory did in a half-fast manner. I had a customer bring in a 2008 23LSV a couple weeks ago, and after crawling around in it for 2 days I saw how much better it was built.
Old     (formfunction)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-08-2009, 7:49 PM Reply   
John,tell me about the piddly things you have to fix.
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-08-2009, 8:19 PM Reply   
I can definitely respect the frustration that John has had with his particular boat, but I can assure you his situation isn't uniform across the board. I own an '05, where he has an '07, 24SSV and it's solid and very well built. Mine even belonged to Trevor Hansen and was used hard, but it's still rock solid all around.

I do agree that a dealer can make or break brand loyalty.

Look at both of them and make your own decision based on your own experiences with your own dealer. That's the only way you'll get what you really want and need. They're both terrific boats, and if Supra's didn't exist I would probably have found my way into a Malibu.
Old     (formfunction)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-08-2009, 8:58 PM Reply   
I build street rods chassis for a living so my opinion of engineering and build quality is very harsh.I have been inside and out of my boat among many other brands and skiers choice is pretty standard of the industry in terms of quality.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-08-2009, 9:53 PM Reply   
I'll have to disagree with that one, I've owned both.
Old     (formfunction)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-09-2009, 7:12 AM Reply   
Both have there strong and weak points Nubu but the reality is if I pulled half the crap the big three pull I would go out of business.