Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 09, 2003

Old    missflygirl            06-21-2003, 3:38 PM Reply   
I am moving to Portland from Cali in July. I was wondering what the wakeboarding scene is like up there? I don't have a boat and would be looking for pulls. Helping with gas of course!!! Any feedback would help.
Thanks, Jenn
Old     (tcaton)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-21-2003, 9:13 PM Reply   
Lots of wakeboarders up here in Portland/Vancouver. I go most of the time up to a couple of lakes north of Vancouver water is clean and smooth couple of the boat dealers put on alot of tournments all summer long. There is Wet Wendesdays and Wakeboard Wars every week. You should have no problem finding a pull.
Old    grantmi1            06-22-2003, 10:46 AM Reply   
Yep it rocks up here but you are going to have to get used to colder water for sure. You will need to find some clean smooth parts of the river for those after work session's. But ya Merwin and Yale are nice. Yale is better.
Old     (tcaton)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-22-2003, 12:22 PM Reply   
Yale right now is about 72 degrees it's only about a 45 min drive from Vancouver. I won't go in the Columbia water is to rough and can go from semi smooth to rough in a matter of minutes Willamette river which go through middle of Portland can be smooth but is kinda dirty. I would rather go a little farther and be in crystal clear water. You will like it up here lots of cool people to board with.
Old    grantmi1            06-22-2003, 1:50 PM Reply   
I go to ridgfield and put into a slew that is 5 minutes from my house and it is always smooth and warm.
Old    missflygirl            06-23-2003, 11:24 AM Reply   
I will be living right on the wllamette river. How dirty is it? Can't be worse than the Delta!
Old    grantmi1            06-23-2003, 11:25 AM Reply   
You just want to make sure it is above portland or you will be in sewage. If you are above portland their is some good skiing.
Old     (sunsport)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-23-2003, 11:32 AM Reply   
The upper Willamette is cleaner than lower, and smoother. If you are living on the Willamette in Portland you are probably minutes from the restaurant Who's Song & Larry's. That is where Wet Wednesdays are held. Guaranteed to meet wakeboarders there.

Skiing made me board,
Lyle
Chrome Dome Industries
Old    goose69            06-23-2003, 12:18 PM Reply   
Well as far as how clean the water here in the Willamette. It has been ranked in the top 10 of the most polluted rivers in the USA for sometime now. I have been going in it my whole life and have never really gotten sick from it. If you drink some you may get a sore throat for a couple of days.
Most people are pretty cool out pulling you, if you bring up the fact you have gas money. I usually ride on the Willamette around the West Lynn area and we always seem to find some smooth water, but that will depend on the time of day too.
Old    grantmi1            06-23-2003, 12:25 PM Reply   
That is from portland down though
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-23-2003, 12:31 PM Reply   
Moving from California to Oregon.... this boggles my mind
Old    yellowdog            06-23-2003, 12:51 PM Reply   
I think you guys are mistaken regarding the cleanness of the Willamette. I saw a show on Oregon Public Broadcasting (which is an extremely liberal local broadcasting group)a couple of weeks ago regarding the river and how clean it was. They said that outside of the rainey (sewer overflow) times, the Willamette is the cleanest urban river in the United States. Also, most of the problems the river has is not from the sewer but from pestisides used on the farms from Eugene to Salem. This would indicate that the river is just as bad above Portland as it is below. The program ended by stating that as long as it hasn't rained hard in the past few days, the river is clean. Just some info I thought I would pass on.

Thanks
Tyler
Old    norcal_99            06-23-2003, 4:31 PM Reply   
Hey Portland area people. I'll be up the July 8-11th. If you have room for a third let me know.

Old    crapla            06-24-2003, 10:26 AM Reply   
Missflygirl. I live in the portland area, in lake oswego. We are always looking for a third, so if you want to ride our boat is your boat.
Old    missflygirl            06-24-2003, 11:19 PM Reply   
Thanks, I will be takin' you up on that!
Old    goose69            06-25-2003, 12:20 AM Reply   
Yellow Dog
I hate to argue but I think you might be talking about the clackamas river. If you pay attention to the so called sewer overflow, it actually happens at several spots along the river from Portland to Newberg. Which occurs at, at least one of those locations once a month. In fact the Oregon Forest and Wildlife has done and doing studies of the pullution of the willamette and the effect its causing on the wildlife. Also not to mention the river flows directly into the Columbia which is also one of the most radio-active rivers in the USA.
Old    grantmi1            06-25-2003, 12:24 AM Reply   
Hey I agree with you guys it sounds like you guys read or investigate way more than me, I just speak of rumor. I appreciate the accurate info. Welcome to portland.
Old    grantmi1            06-25-2003, 12:27 AM Reply   
Uh wait we have non argreeing statements here. We need links to accurate info. On the double. hehe I am so excited I think I am buying boat in morning and I cant sleep. The guy that was ahead of me did not put his money down. I will post pics after the deal is complete.
Old     (tcaton)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-25-2003, 7:09 AM Reply   
They just said on the news last night not to go in the Willamette do to a sewer overflow and that if you do to shower asap. I will stick to the nice clean lakes in Washington. The extra 20 min drive is well worth it.
Old     (canaday)      Join Date: Dec 2002 Location: Hawthorne       06-25-2003, 8:03 AM Reply   
What is Wakeboard Wars?
Old     (canaday)      Join Date: Dec 2002 Location: Hawthorne       06-25-2003, 8:05 AM Reply   
Jason,

Do you guys go during the week?
Old    yellowdog            06-25-2003, 9:22 AM Reply   
Jared,

The show I saw was not on the Clackamas, it was discussing the sewer pipe that will parallel the Willamette and will end the combined sewer overflows that are a result of rain storms. The sewer overflows are only caused from rain; therefore, if it has not rained in the past few days the river should be safe to ride in. Also, the contaminants that are hurting the wildlife aren't from sewer but are from pesticide chemicals that enter the river above Salem. I am not saying it is safe to drink; however, I am saying it is safe to swim in as long as it hasn't rained in the past 72 hours.

PS. I am not a scientist, I am just reporting what I hear. I also report what I hear, especially when it makes me feel better about getting in that water. . .
Old     (tcaton)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-25-2003, 11:13 AM Reply   
I see the pros are going to be at Wet Wednesday, I hope they are downstream of the discharge that happened yesterday, would not like to see them all sick for the pro tour this weekend. there is just no way I would go in that water when there is clean water close by. Oh by the way Miss fly girl I am always looking for a third or fourth so if you need a ride just let me know.
Old    xtremebordgurl            06-25-2003, 11:41 AM Reply   
Oh man, you had me all excited I thought some riders were moving to Portland Maine!! :-( I will continue the wait for some die hard riding frineds... <sigh>
Old    missflygirl            06-25-2003, 12:46 PM Reply   
This "Wet Wednesday" Is at the Who's song & Larry's...right? Is that where all the wakeboards get together and hang out? If so...that is really cool!! Where is this place located?
Old    wakedad            06-25-2003, 3:50 PM Reply   
There are at several weekly wakeboard events going on this year in the Portland area. Wednesday(Calabria) and Thursday(Mastercraft/947 NRK) are at Who, Song and Larry's. Active is doing something at Koppert Lake in Washington, it's their private lake. And Bridge City Water Sports(Malibu) is doing Phat Tuesdays at Hebb park on the upper Willamette.
Old    mconly            06-25-2003, 7:28 PM Reply   
Wake Board Wars on thursday is the place to go.
They will have the new 2003 X-STAR Pro Tour Boat there pulling the event. You know there isn't a bigger better wake. Beside they give like $100 cash to the winner!
Old     (canaday)      Join Date: Dec 2002 Location: Hawthorne       06-26-2003, 9:43 AM Reply   
I'm going to Oregon on Tuesday the 22nd. Are these events all weekly? Also does anyone know the times of these events?
Old     (sunsport)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-26-2003, 10:03 AM Reply   
Wet Wednesdays and Wakeboard wars (Thursdays) start at 6:00 pm. Who's song and Larry's is right off of Macadam Ave and on the Willamette River. Skyline Water sports has all info. Hey Miss Fly Girl you should compete. Last night there was only one girl and I think she one $100. A wakeskate the week before.

Skiing made me board,
Lyle
Chrome Dome Industries
Old    missflygirl            06-26-2003, 10:48 AM Reply   
Lyle, why don't you compete? YOU SHOULD! Only one girl...so doesn't that mean she will win no matter what? I am so happy to hear that Portland Has all these events taking place! I was so scared that I was going to get there and have a hard time trying to ride. Lyle, if I compete... will you?
Old    missflygirl            06-26-2003, 11:05 AM Reply   
Or do guys compete in a separate competition?
Old     (sunsport)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-26-2003, 12:29 PM Reply   
I rode two weeks ago. I was in the middle of painting my board so I had to use my back up board: the skurfer. Ever see one? I am trying to get Jason to compete and wear his superman outfit. That would be so funny.

Skiing made me board,
Lyle
Chrome Dome Industries
Old    tammy            06-26-2003, 1:06 PM Reply   
Hey Jenn,

What are you doing on Sunday? We should ride before you leave us :-( Give us a call if you are open.

Miss ya,

Cory, Tammy and Zack
Old    crapla            06-26-2003, 1:35 PM Reply   
Lyle, I'll ride in my superman custome if you ride in a diaper.
Old    missflygirl            06-26-2003, 2:09 PM Reply   
Tammy, I am free on Sunday. Would love to ride with ya'! It would be great to see you! I will give you a call later on to night!
Old    wakedad            06-27-2003, 8:46 AM Reply   
The Pro's are here this weekend. I get to ride with Gerry Nunn this afternoon.
Old    goose69            06-27-2003, 8:59 AM Reply   
WakeDad....
Where you on the upper or lower willamette? I was able to hook up with the Full throttle tour people and actually got to ride with Gator himself. We where at 10th street park in West lynn until about 9pm last night.
Old    goose69            06-27-2003, 9:06 AM Reply   
Mconly
As far as the comps please support both of them. "Wet Wednesday" and "Wakeboard Wars".
its about the riding and not who's putting them on. I am closely attached to "Wet Wednesdays" and will still tell people about thursdays because of the fun to ride. There will aslo be compitions on the upper Willamette on Tuesdays call "Phat Tuesdays". Starting in July.
Jared
Old    rishermrp            06-27-2003, 9:42 AM Reply   
I'm moving out to portland for college in late august. I was just wondering if i should bring my board how late does the season usually go, does anyone ride all year, should I look for a dry suit? If i do is there anyone who would be willing to give me a pull i'll help pay for gas money
Old    goose69            06-27-2003, 9:49 AM Reply   
Well for you can't and can't ride all year long. To do so will require a lake. The river get to fast and cold during the winter months. I started in March with the water being at 42 degrees. This of course was with a drysuite and wetuite under the dry. There is also a lake in Toledo Washington that is owned by a local shop that they have open all year long. Its $6 for down and back. They also have comps up there as well.
Jared
Old    goose69            06-27-2003, 9:50 AM Reply   
Well for you can't and can't ride all year long. To do so will require a lake. The river get to fast and cold during the winter months. I started in March with the water being at 42 degrees. This of course was with a drysuite and wetsuite under the dry. We usually ride until early Oct.
There is also a lake in Toledo Washington that is owned by a local shop "Active Water Sports" that they have open all year long. Its $6 for down and back. They also have comps up there as well.
Jared
Old    crapla            06-27-2003, 1:54 PM Reply   
Has anybody heard anything about this new company CDI fins? I hear they have some really sweet aluminum fins. Colin Wright is riding for them.
Old    goose69            06-28-2003, 11:15 PM Reply   
LOL Well I have heard of them.. and would love some contact info :-) Lyle if your out there. We spoke last "Wet Wednesdays" about the filming. Please shoot me an email so we can get together.

thanks
Jared
NumSkull Productions
Old     (sunsport)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-30-2003, 3:03 PM Reply   
Jarad,
you should come check out the competition this week on Lake Oswego. I think it is early afternoon. It was pretty laid back last year.

Skiing made me board,
Lyle
Chrome Dome Industries
Old    goose69            06-30-2003, 5:56 PM Reply   
Lyle..
Can you send me the info to Jared@numbskullpro.com. Such as time and date. Also, I am trying to get some of my loose ends tied up this week. When would be a good time to site down and talk about a possible sponsorship of CDI?
Thanks
Jared Schassen
NumbSkull Productions