Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 26, 2006

Old     (jrogers26)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-11-2006, 5:54 PM Reply   
Thinking about doing it myself. ('04 Malibu VLX)

any tips or experience would be greatly appreciated.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-11-2006, 6:01 PM Reply   
Took me about four hours...and prolly a half hour of that was mustering up the courage to drill the two inch hole in the bottom of my brand new boat. It's really not that bad. Pay close attention to getting the linkage hooked up right with no play in it.
Old    mendo247            10-11-2006, 7:07 PM Reply   
"Pay close attention to getting the linkage hooked up right with no play in it."

definetly important! been playing with mine since day one, think the guys that installed mine at the dealer skipped the whole get the linkage hooked up with no play in it part
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-11-2006, 11:24 PM Reply   
I did my 04 VLX at the begining of the season.

It's pretty straight forward. about 3-4 hours.

1) mount the servo and route the wires to the dash
2) mount the master control unit under the dash
3) pull power off the ignition switch and hook ground to the ground block behind the dash
4) install the head-unit in the dash.
5) Find the Speed wire stub and the RPM wire stub.

I got stuck finding the wires. They are there though. My RPM wire was ran from under the dash into the instrument console. it was hideing between two pieces of plastic. The Speedwire was wrapped really tightly on the backside of a wire harness.
Old     (wakemaniac69)      Join Date: Nov 2004       10-17-2006, 11:43 AM Reply   
when you go to drill the hole thru the hull, measure on the inside of the boat where the paddle wheel will fit, then drill a 1/8" diameter hole from the inside of the boat out. This will allow you to hit your spot, rather than drilling from the outside in. Make certain you do not hit the chines or strakes on the bottom. Drill your 2" hole from the outside to the inside, less flaking on the edge of the hole. Take a small piece of sandpaper and carefully place about a 1/32 to 1/16 radius on the edge of the hole(make certain you get thru the gel coat with this, you should be able to see the discoloration difference between the gel coat and the fibre glass), both sides, this will remove the stress riser on the edge and help prevent cracking. Be certain to place your paddle wheel where it is A: going to give you accurate readings, and B: you can remove and replace it with ease. Enjoy your perfect pass, best thing I've ever got for my boat. Anyone can drive and give you a tournament class pull.
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-17-2006, 12:45 PM Reply   
The 04 Malibu VLX has a stock paddle wheel that drives the Malibu Speedo Head Unit. You simply tap into the speed wire, no drilling of the hull is necessary.
Old     (jrogers26)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-18-2006, 10:47 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the tips, guys.
Old     (boatguy)      Join Date: Mar 2006       10-19-2006, 7:14 AM Reply   
you can also get detailed instructions from the Perfect Pass website for your model boat. Thanks
Old     (sangerlover)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-19-2006, 7:52 AM Reply   
I am in the process of finishing up my PP install and found it much easier than I originally thought. Only thing left to do is to drill the 2" hole in the hull and route / terminate all the wiring behind the dash but will need to wait until the weekend. Had I had enough time on a weekend to do this it would have took 3-4 hours like mentioned above but I have been working on it 20 minutes at a time when I can.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-22-2006, 8:27 PM Reply   
I installed my PP for my 98 tige last weekend and got to use it this week. It would have only taken me 2 hours to do it if i didnt have to go to the store to get a 2" hole saw. It was a lot easier than i had expected and now i cant imagine riding/pulling without it...
Old     (sangerlover)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-23-2006, 6:20 AM Reply   
I finished my PP install on Saturday but have not tested it out on the water yet.