Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (burtonrider77)      Join Date: Nov 2007       01-11-2011, 9:13 AM Reply   
hey guys,

im going to yosemite national park this weekend, thinking about renting a lens. im bringing a

80-200 2.8
10.5 2.8 fisheye
28.80 3.3-5.6
35 1.8

Im just wondering if you guys have any sugestions for a lens rental. (nikon)

thanks guys!!!!
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       01-11-2011, 4:06 PM Reply   
Sounds like you're shooting with a Nikon? Which body (full frame sensor)?

I think you've got it covered for the most part. Perhaps a Nikon 14-24mm to give you something wider than the 35mm and with a lot less distortion than the 10.5 fisheye for the landscape shots.

And the Nikon TC-20E III 2x Teleconverter for the 80-200 to give you more range to shoot wildlife.

Are you renting from borrowlenses.com?
Old     (burtonrider77)      Join Date: Nov 2007       01-11-2011, 10:53 PM Reply   
yes on nikon

shooting with a d300s

thats what i was thinking, on the 14-24. thank you for the sugestion.

i am renting from borrowlenses.com

they seem to be good, unless you have a better sugestion. im always down to try new stuff.....
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-12-2011, 5:12 AM Reply   
+1 for borrowlenses.com. I resently rented from them and they were great to deal with.
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       01-12-2011, 1:19 PM Reply   
+2 for borrowlenses.com

Cool! With the D300's 1.5x crop you'll be at a 21 - 36mm which perfect for landscape.
Old     (burtonrider77)      Join Date: Nov 2007       01-12-2011, 10:30 PM Reply   
@kung fu

im very new to this, can you explain what you mean?!?!?! im trying to learn as much as possible.

(Cool! With the D300's 1.5x crop you'll be at a 21 - 36mm which perfect for landscape.)

this apply to only lenses that are fx compatible?????
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       01-13-2011, 9:47 PM Reply   
I'm a video guy, but lets see if I can describe this correctly... If not I'm sure Rich, Scott, Randy, Ryan, Joe, etc.. will jump in and correct me.

FX Lens = Designed for Full Frame sensor. It has more glass, is a heavier lens, and more expensive
DX Lens = Designed for cropped sensor. It has less glass, is lighter, and cheaper.

Using the Nikon 14-24mm lens as an example...

You can use an FX lens on a DX body, but then you have to multiple the focal length by the sensor's crop factor to get the "true" focal length. In your case the "crop factor" is 1.5, so the 14-24mm lens will effectively become a 21-36mm

Now if you try the inverse and put a DX lens on an FX body then you will get something like this: [*]
** The cool thing is that nikon has a "crop mode" on the higher end cameras that will adjust for this, so your picture won't have the black borders showing from the inside of the DX lens.

And finally if you use an FX lens on an FX body then you get a true 14-24mm.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       01-13-2011, 11:11 PM Reply   
Most DSLR cameras use sensors that are physically smaller than the size of a piece of 35mm film. So since the sensor is smaller, it captures less data...so you wind up with an image that shows the middle of the lens, and extends as far to the left/right/up/down as the size of the sensor will permit. The image that DPC linked to above is a cool example of how much data a DX format (1.5x crop) will capture when compared to what a 35mm film camera would capture (the camera used to take this picture is an FX mount Nikon DSLR). So when you use a DX format camera body, you're essentially losing the outer edges of the photo, though that isn't usually a huge deal until you get into the wide angle and fisheye lenses. That's the quick-n-dirty of it- there's a bunch of small details I left out for simplicity's sake.

As for the lens rental, I would absolutely go with that 14-24mm. I've read some pretty great things about it.
Old     (skull)      Join Date: May 2002       01-14-2011, 5:48 AM Reply   
I'd seriously rent some big glass... 500 f4 or 600 f4!! Have fun.