Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (eric21v)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-22-2010, 11:33 PM Reply   
my tower speakers pop when the ignition turns off what may cause this
Old     (piggie)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-23-2010, 12:18 AM Reply   
turn on/off pop is generally caused by either a dodgy earth or dodgy connection, the trick is to eliminate all possibilities one by one
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       03-23-2010, 6:30 AM Reply   
http://www.earmarkcaraudio.com/Xcart...cat=259&page=1

or go pick one up at radio shack.
Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       03-23-2010, 6:43 AM Reply   
Eric-

Turn-on pops are common, unfortunately. There can be lots of casues... Everything from a faulty install to a poor ground, to gains set to high, to "flea-market" gear.... It would be anybody's guess based on your post.

There are a few super guys who ang out here who can help you make a proper diagnosis. Tell us what equipment you have, how it is connected, and what your basic settings, (gains, crossovers, etc) are and we can give you a better idea of what might be the problem. Otherwise, you are going to get nothing but guesses.

Let us know!

Phil
Kicker
Old     (thesack)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-23-2010, 7:13 AM Reply   
It could be an internal problem with your amp, but you will need to properly diagnois your stereo first.

I had a turn off pop on my tower after I did my stereo upgrade this winter. When I diagnoised mine I took the RCAs off the amps (I have one amp for each pair of XM7s) for my tower to make sure if was just the tower and not the entire system popping. Rehooked the RCAs up to the right side of my tower, had no popping. Unhooked the right side, rebooked the left side and the popping returned. Checked all my connections, all were good. Talked to the guys at Exile, took my boat up to them and it was determined that the amp had the wrong size resistor in it which was causing the turn off pop. They fixed the resistor issue and I haven't had a turn off pop since. Which I must add was great customer service on there part.

Last edited by thesack; 03-23-2010 at 7:16 AM.
Old     (mmandley)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-23-2010, 8:18 AM Reply   
Ever since i had my boat i had the pop when turning off the system. No matter if i turned the deck down or not.

From what ive read its a Kenwood Deck issue also. They have an aggressive power down cycle, meaning its instant and this causes a nasty pop. My amps have a slow power down cycle already but the pop is there. Exile said the cure is to add a resister to the system and it will allow a slower power down process.

This isn't to say you don't have a problem in your system at all. Its just what i have learned on my system.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       03-23-2010, 8:37 AM Reply   
Based on yo profile ( screen name) you own supra 21v....

these boats are notorious for having turn on pop and/or popping when moving the trim tab.

The resistor I linked usually soves it.

But agreed, there can be many causes, but based on the boat you have the resitor is the solution.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-23-2010, 9:20 AM Reply   
First, before any diagnosis make sure you've got a full charge on your batteries.

Then, try backing off the amplifier input gains.

Next, determine if your source unit or amplifier is shutting off with the ignition and verify that your amplifier trigger lead is correctly connected to the source unit remote on/off lead. Wiring everything constant may reveal the solution. If one of these steps create a change then the permanent remedy will be a simple rewire or inexpensive peripheral device (relay or delay module, etc.).

After the above, finding a faulty ground or isolating a noisy relay can be a bigger task. Sometimes in the winter/summerization process something doesn't get firmly attached at the batteries. For a noise suppression device to work you've got to identify the exact culprit.

Hope this helps.

Phil is right. We're all only guessing. But I've got endless advice when someone else is doing the work.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (skyski1)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-23-2010, 11:54 AM Reply   
I had the same problem. Adding a relay to the amp turn on wires fixed it.
Old     (scottnaz)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-07-2010, 8:55 AM Reply   
Anyone know what size resistor/capacitor to get from Radio Shack that's comparable to the one earmark sells? I've got the notorious Supra speaker pop with the wake plate movements.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       04-07-2010, 9:09 AM Reply   
I think it's the 200uf / 50v cap...it's fairly small. round cylinder abotu 1/4 inch long, thckness of a pencil. Make sure you hook it up correctly or it will explode.