Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 24, 2009

Old     (lancesaville)      Join Date: May 2009       07-10-2009, 9:35 AM Reply   
New boarder here, just wondering if any of you guys have had good/bad experiences with the Ron1x IBEX. Gonna try out a 144 w/ the one boots and see what I think, but wanted some opinions first...
Old     (kamighazi)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-10-2009, 9:42 AM Reply   
my humble opinion, Ibex has too much rocker for you. If you dont know how to control that kind of pop you will never learn how to land it. trust me it will pop the hell out of you. that board and the ronix one are 2 of the most abrupt rockers in the game. Try something with a blended rocker or even a continuous rocker. faster, less poppy, but will get you across the wake and you have plenty of control leaving the wake.

just my $.02
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-10-2009, 9:57 AM Reply   
I agree with Ben, its just too much rocker for a beginner. I ride the 139, and I can really notice the pop when I ride bigger wakes. Depending on the size, its all I can do to just land the jump sometimes. I would recommend something with all the features of the Ibex (mostly because I love them and that means everyone else will love them too), but with less rocker.
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-10-2009, 10:55 AM Reply   
WAY to much for you. I've been riding for 7 years and it's too explosive for me. It's a board that a lot of people will dislike, but some will find it the most amazing board they've ever strapped into. But for new boarders, I'd go with the Ronix Mana or even the Arcade. Those are both solid.

Oh, and for the best deals on ALL Ronix in the state, go to Diamond Lakes Watersports in malvern off highway 270
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-10-2009, 11:00 AM Reply   
If you like knee braces, then go for it. If you want to learn to ride, choose a different board.
Old     (lancesaville)      Join Date: May 2009       07-10-2009, 11:03 AM Reply   
hey caleb, michael recommended the ibex over the arcade. mana is REAL freakin expensive too isn't it? Also what makes you think the arcade would be better? by the way this is lance - the lime/black 09 LSV.
Old     (lancesaville)      Join Date: May 2009       07-10-2009, 11:07 AM Reply   
Also I've heard good about the LF watson, think that might be a viable option? I'm only thinking ronix because i've been so happy w/ my ronix wakesurf, but I'm open to anything. Looking for TRACKING, STABILITY, FORGIVENESS. But i JUST learned to ride over the last month, I'm years away from an invert, this would be for cruising, edging around and wake to wake jumps.

(Message edited by lancesaville on July 10, 2009)
Old     (hunterw)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-10-2009, 11:10 AM Reply   
I've been riding 3 seasons and the last two I've been on the IBEX from a Frontier. I personally dont think it really matters what you start on as long as you start out learning the right way. The Mana has a higher rocker angle at 10.8 versus the IBEX at 10.6. Just go ride it and go with how you feel.
Old    justinh            07-10-2009, 11:18 AM Reply   
Too much pop??!!

Hunter, I agree with you.

(Message edited by Justinh. on July 10, 2009)
Old     (ricabernathy)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-10-2009, 11:33 AM Reply   
I got my IBEX from diamond lakes watersports... I love the board and it is explosive.. And as far as diamond lakes, they are great people and went out of their way to get me in my SUPRA!!! Go there they will fix u up.. and yeah id get a dif board if ur just starting
Old     (lancesaville)      Join Date: May 2009       07-10-2009, 11:41 AM Reply   
alright everyone says get a diff board, how bout some more suggestions? So far calebR says go mana or arcade, any thoughts on liquid force? Thx for all the advice so far. And yep Ric, DLWS is king round here, they get 100% of my business.
Old    justinh            07-10-2009, 12:42 PM Reply   
I think the Ibex would be a good board--My point was that there is no such thing as too much pop.

If you like Ronix, demo an arcade and an Ibex . Both are great boards and both have very different feels (Ibex slow and Arcade Fast). Neither will hold you back in any way.

Or you could just pick the one that looks the coolest--no joke. You can't go wrong either way.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-10-2009, 12:57 PM Reply   
I had a ONE in fact trying to sell it. I bought a used COVIN and really like that board. I like the continuous or hybrid rocker a lot better. Not sure why but I love the RONIX stuff. Hope to get new baseless bindings next year.
Old     (lancesaville)      Join Date: May 2009       07-10-2009, 1:15 PM Reply   
I talked some more to my dealer about it, he says to give it a go and if I don't like it we can always swap something out. I'm gonna be doing the ronix ibex 144 with one bindings (heard they are NICE), and got the ronix coy with the rise bindings for my fiancee, who also just started riding. Hopefully we'll both be really happy with the boards. Thanks for the help guys !
Old     (ricabernathy)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-10-2009, 1:22 PM Reply   
exact same setup i got lance, only i have the 139... its easy to ride...
Old     (lancesaville)      Join Date: May 2009       07-10-2009, 1:24 PM Reply   
well good cuz that's what I'm lookin for man
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-10-2009, 1:35 PM Reply   
Lance, if you've talked to michael or jon, go with them, and don't listen to anyone else here. They know boards and riding styles like normal people know their wives. If they say ibex, I stand behind them on that.

(Message edited by dlwsrider on July 10, 2009)
Old     (aaudii5150)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-10-2009, 1:35 PM Reply   
I have one and don't really like ridden it.... I'm a big guy, 6' 3" 230 and even with a 144 it's still squirrely. I would also consider myself a beginer(can't clear the wake)..... The have ridden the Mana and the One and like both much better..... Just my .02
Old     (lancesaville)      Join Date: May 2009       07-10-2009, 1:49 PM Reply   
Right on Caleb, that's how I feel, michael hit the nail on the head on my ronix wakesurf, it's been PERFECT, so think I'm gonna trust his judgement on this one too. I'll find out monday afternoon for sure.
Old     (ricabernathy)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-10-2009, 2:10 PM Reply   
michael also hit the nail on the head with my ibex..
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-10-2009, 3:07 PM Reply   
Did you get the 08 or 09 Ones? I have the 09 Reliks and absolutely love them, they are super comfey and super light. High five to Ronix.
Old     (lancesaville)      Join Date: May 2009       07-10-2009, 3:52 PM Reply   
Getting the 09's.
Old     (power_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2007       07-10-2009, 3:59 PM Reply   
Hey... I rode a Hyperlite State for the longest time. Good board to learn the basics on and won't kill you with the pop. Eventauly you will grow out of it and get something more to your liking like in my case I got a Premier cause i like explosive pop. But, if you can't afford a new board it will serve you well.
Old     (hunterw)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-11-2009, 6:28 AM Reply   
Just wait for the 2010 RONIX gear its gonna be sick.... Trust me or you can just listen to Caleb and not pay attention to anyone else on here since only two people in the country know what they are talking about when it comes to the RONIX line.
Old     (lancesaville)      Join Date: May 2009       07-11-2009, 7:40 AM Reply   
Hunter, I think Caleb just meant those guys ride EVERY WARM DAY after they close up their dealership, like EVERY warm day for like the last 7 years, and that's just since they've had a pro shop at their fingertips. They've been riding a lot longer than that. They DO know what they're talking about and know ronix gear like the back of their hands cuz they've tested EVERY board ronix makes thoroughly. On top of that, an exec from ronix saw this post, contacted me by email and backed them up on the IBEX call, over the mana, one, and arcade. That's an endorsement I'm gonna take for damn sure. I do appreciate the input tho. Gonna try the ibex and see how it goes.

And not to be speaking for Caleb or anything, just i'm pretty sure he's nowhere near a computer right now, he's got wakeskate semifinals/finals today and is prob getting ready.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-11-2009, 7:11 PM Reply   
If its the perfect beg. board why would they make the others???
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-11-2009, 8:50 PM Reply   
Do whatever you want but an agressive 3 stage is not the best board to learn on. Some idiot at a proshop told me that a Parks was a good board to learn on back when I knew absolutely nothing about wakeboarding. Since then I've gone from my 3 stage Parks to a 3 stage Transcend to a continuous rocker Marius. I feel most comfortable on my Marius and feel I would have progressed faster if I was on a more forgiving board from the start.
Old     (lancesaville)      Join Date: May 2009       07-11-2009, 10:46 PM Reply   
I think a lot of the call for the ibex had to do with it's massive surface area. Either way, my dealer has a great demo program - buy it, try it, then if you don't like it, swap for different boards until you find what works for you. Think I'll be fine.
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-11-2009, 11:23 PM Reply   
Hunter, that's a rude thing to say if you don't know the people we're talking about. I see that you are from Virginia, so I'm assuming you don't know Jon and Michael, the main guys at Diamond Lakes Water Sports. Let me tell you a bit about them.

Every year since Ronix was created, they have traveled to Radar lake, talked with Paul and the pro team about the shapes, styles, graphics, rides, and everything in between on every model. They ride every board that is put out personally, and inspect and fit all gear. Them and myself are constantly in contact with our local Ronix rep about any and everything Ronix related. In our area, they are the guys to go to, and lets face it; if the internet could solve all our problems, then we wouldn't need local dealers with this kind of knowledge.

lance, when you're ready to pick up that set up, let me know and I'll come put it together for you personally at diamond lakes.

I would of been at nationals riding Pro Skate, but I couldn't of made it to worlds because of College anyways. I'm also not happy with where my skating is right now, so hopefully the dates will change for next year and it will work out.

Prop's to Clay for winning Junior Men's though.

(Message edited by dlwsrider on July 11, 2009)
Old     (lancesaville)      Join Date: May 2009       07-12-2009, 6:09 AM Reply   
Caleb, thx but I grabbed the boards yesterday at the INT comp, but I appreciate the offer. Oh and good luck to all you guys today. Night ride was sweet, we were there until midnight.

Hey and forget about nationals, from where I was sitting, I'm pretty sure clay won the late night double-up contest round 11:45 last night. Now that's something haha.
Old     (hunterw)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-12-2009, 7:52 AM Reply   
Caleb, yes I do know them b/c I rode with them last year while I was at RADAR. They are really nice guys and I enjoyed riding with them. They do know the product line but my comment was not knocking their knowledge nor it anymore rude than yours so those who live in a glass house shouldnt throw rocks. Just think about how you word the comments you post next time b/c there are other people that know what they are talking about but anyway did Justin end up on the VIVA this year or go with something else. I knew he was really loving the new shape and how's Jon's knee doing he just had surgery on it.
Old     (mikeakatex5)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-12-2009, 5:16 PM Reply   
My gf just picked up an Ibex this season and she loves it. I even threw my bindings on it to check it out and I couldn't believe how easy it was to ride (for a Parks board). The only problem she has is when she hits the wake she has a hard time not buckling her knees, which was not a big problem on her old LF team. I think your really gonna like the Ibex, I'm even thinking of picking one up in the near future myself (just don't want to match the woman's lol).
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-12-2009, 10:55 PM Reply   
Justin started on the Viva it but is on the One set up now. I'm the only one in the shop that rides it, and I'm on the CSV2 at this point.

Jon didn't have any surgery. I was with him all weekend, he's just as good as he's ever been since. He blew his ACL years ago and had it done then, but nothing new since then.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-13-2009, 6:47 AM Reply   
Curious how does it ride different than the ONE?