Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 04, 2005

Old    tribal            05-03-2005, 9:46 AM Reply   
First day out on boat this season and a couple times firing up the starter would not disengage and would continue cranking without the key turned with the motor running.Would immediatly kill it and then it would start again fine.
Anyone with similar issues ever?Is this a starter problem,cellunoid or possibly a problem with the mesh on the flywheel?
Thanks for any help.
Old    powaman            05-03-2005, 10:16 AM Reply   
starters not disengage that's definetly a starter or solenoid problem to see if it's the solenoid, take a skrewdriver and connect the two posts on the solenoid and then let the starter crank then take the skrewdriver off once the engine starts, if the starter keeps going, your starters bad, if the the starter stops right when you remove the skrewdriver, your solenoid is bad. Only problem the flywheel usually creates is if the flywheels damaged the start woudl jsut spin and not turn the motor, this definetly does not sound like a flywheel problem.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       05-03-2005, 12:49 PM Reply   
I think the problem must be the "cellunoid". Can someone tell me where I can get one of these too please "skrewdriver".

When you want help, always post the specs of what you are working on, like Ford Chevy year etc. Make sure to take a look at the ignition switch too, and then work back towards your boat motor which has a "celluniod". If the starter is hanging up, it is a different sound than the boat continuing to crank. Only use a replacement marine "solenoid", as there is a difference. Click the starter over a few times in a row and see if it continues to turn over. If not something was sticking, and needs to be replaced.
Old    tribal            05-03-2005, 3:04 PM Reply   
89 Ford 5.0L OMC cobra leg.What is the difference in the sound of hanging up versus cranking?The starter doesn't really grind like it would when you turn over a running motor it more like a wirring sound of the starter continuing to spin.Sorry if I spelt "solenoid" wrong
Old    powaman            05-03-2005, 6:28 PM Reply   
They way it sounds, it could be either or. Do what I said, and it should help you figure out what is faulty. Ya specs are always good, I just assumed it was an inboard or I/o which use the same type starter/solenoid as vehicles.