Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (ryan387)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-28-2010, 7:17 AM Reply   
I know there are many threads on this, I did search. But I want to know where everyone stands. Do you follow the manufacturers recommemded easy break in or motomans run it like you stole it method? Thanks in advance!
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-28-2010, 7:20 AM Reply   
I'm going to follow the recommendation of the guy who designed and built the thing. He should know the best.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-28-2010, 7:29 AM Reply   
I would take it easy for the first couple of hours then drive it like you stole it. Don't sit at a single RPM for too long. How often do you break in the cars you buy?
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       07-28-2010, 7:30 AM Reply   
We followed the manufacturer's guidelines when we broke ours in. The good thing is after a couple hours on the engine we could wakeboard and the RPM's stayed in the accepted range for break in.
Old     (tre)      Join Date: Jul 2002 Location: WI       07-28-2010, 7:43 AM Reply   
We did exactly as the manual stated.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-28-2010, 8:06 AM Reply   
Agree with psudy - vary your RPMs.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       07-28-2010, 8:23 AM Reply   
I've done both methods, lol. Both motors were fine.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-28-2010, 8:26 AM Reply   
I agree with Paul. Drive the boat up and down through the RPM range without going over 3500 or so for the first few hours. For the next 5 or so after that run it all the way up pretty much while varying the rpm. After that you should be good to go.

Honestly I don't know how much any of it matters but you might as well do it.
Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-28-2010, 9:35 AM Reply   
I followed it to a T. It was my first boat, so I was cautious.
Old    mojo            07-28-2010, 9:50 AM Reply   
i would do what your manual says. it's a pretty tedious break-in. there's no reason not to do so.
Old     (cwkoch)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-28-2010, 10:01 AM Reply   
Read this:

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-28-2010, 10:32 AM Reply   
I was waiting for that link to show up.
Old     (cwkoch)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-28-2010, 11:00 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by srock View Post
I was waiting for that link to show up.
Hey- That's the engine break-in bible man!!! Guys who really know engines say to follow that.
Old     (ryan387)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-28-2010, 12:16 PM Reply   
That was the second method I was referencing. Motoman... mototune...that's what I meant haha. And now the debate begins again.
Old     (cwkoch)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-28-2010, 12:28 PM Reply   
Follow the Mototune method..... Or just go out and do lots of starts and stops..... It's all about putting lots of pressure on the piston rings to make a complete seal before the cross hatching is worn off the cylinder walls. Idling around, or running at a constant speed is not what you want to do. Varying the throttle, or better yet, hard starts and stops, is what you want to do.

My dealer told me he's had boats come in that ran like absolute crap. The owners were paranoid about break-in, and literally idled around the lake for the first 10 hours. That tells you something right there..... Running it hard is better than babying it too much....
Old     (cwkoch)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-28-2010, 12:30 PM Reply   
If you want lots of reading about break-in, go over to Dootalk.com and read up. Lots of talk about break-in over there, since the engines are comparitively short-lived, and always getting rebuilt....
Old     (ryan387)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-30-2010, 7:26 AM Reply   
Think I have decided to follow the mototune varied rpms method. Sounds like there is an actual reason behind it (forming a good piston ring seal) as opposed to following the manufacturers recommendations just because. How many hours after break in did you all change your oil?
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       07-30-2010, 8:04 AM Reply   
you should get a 20 hour service done between 20-30 hours. They will change all your fluids and check a host of other things as well.