Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-11-2010, 11:08 AM Reply   
scavengers
That's what the person that I talked to on the phone at my local garbage company called them.
I called to ask, what can be done about the people routing threw the recycle bin. She said you need to call the police and tell them you have scavengers going threw your recycling. She said they are a problem EVERYWHERE and they don't know how to deal with them. Personally I don't feel like calling the cop's because some 80 year old Mexican lady is going threw the garbage its doesn’t seem that a crime. But I don't like the fact that we leave out recyclables and it's like leaving out sugar for the ants. You leave out food, it’s like you can't complain when you have a pest problem.
I don't like UN desirables roaming threw my hood looking for recyclables. I know I sound like a A$$ but I feel like if you don't live here or your not a guest get the "F" out of here. It seems like most people don't know what go's on after they leave out the recyclables and go to work. They come home and the recycling is gone they have no idea or clue who picked them up maybe they don't care. Maybe they feel like I used to. It's harmless. Its better that they are at least working for money and not begging. I went out yesterday and chased a lady away she said "No English" ect ect when I told her she couldn't do that. In some ways it pisses me off that we have or are supplying a source or revenue for these people. That's right come to this country. Don't speak the language don't integrate and become a part of society or the community and pay taxes like the rest of us. Live under the radar getting in some case's more benefits than I get all while contributing NOTHING to this country. Hey I can't change the world but I can change the small world in witch I live.

(Message edited by grant_west on February 11, 2010)
Old     (mike_gilbert)      Join Date: Sep 2004       02-11-2010, 11:13 AM Reply   
Amen, couldnt agree more.

Que the count down to libs making accusations of racism in

Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-11-2010, 11:13 AM Reply   
Yeah, poor people scraping together a few bucks by taking your empty beer cans have "more benefits" than you do and live a much better life than you.

Undesirables, get over yourself.
Old     (mike_gilbert)      Join Date: Sep 2004       02-11-2010, 11:19 AM Reply   
Well more benefits being basically free care at any hospital. ERs cant turn patients away and in most cases after treatment they disapear into obscurity and there is no way for the hospital to collect on the bill. If I made a trip to the ER you can bet Id be forking over my deductible and my insurance would be paying for my care, illegals are a very big reason why many health care providers (ie hospitals (John c Lincoln, Abrazo and Banner)) are losing $$$$$ and having to make cuts to staff and increase charges to legal patients.
Old    bigdtx            02-11-2010, 11:28 AM Reply   
RACIST! LOL. Actually I kinda like the Fred Sanford types rolling through my neighborhood. They always come on Sunday afternoon or evening and they haul off the stuff that would sit there until the city large trash pickup comes along. When I replaced my refrigerator and hot water heater I hauled 'em out to the street and they were both gone before sundown. And somebody made a few bucks off it - no problem for me.

Now if they're going through my trash looking for aluminum cans - that's another story.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-11-2010, 11:34 AM Reply   
do what I do. take the recycling bin out in the morning, instead of the night before. in my hood, they come through around 4-5 am to "scavenge". I had gone out with my dogs before when I heard someone rooting through my stuff. after my dogs charged them barking, the person apologized and said they would not come back. I am not taking a chance, so I just put my stuff out in the morning when I get up.
some of the people who claim to be collecting recycling items are also just disguised as those who steal "junk" mail from your trash and steal identities, and fraudulently open lines of credit.
so yeah, I would agree in calling them "undesirables".
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-11-2010, 11:41 AM Reply   
It is illegal to rummage through someone else's trash without permission. Poor is not a justification to commit crimes.
Do what my family does=save your recyclables and next time you see someone rummaging through your trash call them over and give them what you've collected.
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-11-2010, 11:45 AM Reply   
Sorry, but i am not seeing what the big deal is about people going through your recycling or trash bin. As long as there is nothing left outside of the bin when they are done, they can have anything they want from mine.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-11-2010, 11:50 AM Reply   
Throw a dead fish in the recycle bin the week before if they still scavenge at least they are showing some dedication!
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-11-2010, 11:50 AM Reply   
Just make sure you shred anything with info on it.
Old     (peter19u)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-11-2010, 11:52 AM Reply   
the city/county get money for the recycleables you leave out so they are actually stealing from the city/county
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-11-2010, 11:52 AM Reply   
Personally, I'd rather give my cans to a needy person or a private recycling business instead of my city. In fact, I keep all of my cans and do just that every few months.

And just because you can afford a house in my neighborhood, doesn't make you any less undesirable. I'd rather have homeless in exchange for a couple of my neighbors haha.
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-11-2010, 12:34 PM Reply   
I don't care that they take the recycleables, I just wouldn't want people prowling through my trash on/near my property. If I caught someone outside my house, rummaging through my garbage, it would be the last time!

Thankfully people don't do that where we live...at least not yet.
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-11-2010, 12:36 PM Reply   
^^^ Agreed, I will update my statement to read, so long as they do it at the street. Do it next to my shed and a Mastiff and Rottie are comin your way.
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-11-2010, 12:54 PM Reply   
Wow, first you shouldn't be bothered to pull aside or slow down for roadside emergencies...now your garbage is too good for certain people too.

People coming on your property are trespassers, make it about that. Your precious little 'hood is public, unless it's not (gated) which would once again result in trespass.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-11-2010, 1:15 PM Reply   
quit recycling. problem solved
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-11-2010, 1:24 PM Reply   
Isn't Grant the one who got his house broken into a while ago?? If it was Grant, I would feel the same way about people rummaging through my garbage. I would be leery of anybody walking around my house. All it takes is that person to find a recite of a new TV or something and then bamm he gets his house broken into again or worse somebody gets hurt.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-11-2010, 1:27 PM Reply   
Upload
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-11-2010, 1:37 PM Reply   
You know what they say, "one man's recyclables, is another man's treasure"

Upload
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-11-2010, 2:15 PM Reply   
quit recycling. problem solved

Awesome.
Old     (plhorn)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-12-2010, 8:13 AM Reply   
The bigger issue is that they take only the more profitable recyclables (aluminum cans) then the recycling company has to deal with the stuff that doesn't make any money (paper etc). The only reason the companies take the unprofitable recycling is so they can get the sorted aluminum cans.

Chase those bastards off with a gun, because if they keep doing it we can say goodbye to recycling home pick up altogether.
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-12-2010, 9:14 AM Reply   
^ Fantastic idea! Garbage is definitely worth starting a gunfight over.
Old     (kellen)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-12-2010, 9:33 AM Reply   
Here's how I see it, If you are so lazy that you won't take your recycling to the center that you would rather pay the garbage company to come get it instead of make a lil extra beer money. Then so so be it, you can pay for the garbage MAN to come while the "roaches" make their dinner "beer" money.
Old     (bigdad)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-12-2010, 12:24 PM Reply   
I bet many of these "scavengers" can spell better than Grant.
Old     (dirtrider)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-12-2010, 12:27 PM Reply   
I have the same problem in my neighborhood. It doesn't matter whether you have recyclables out or not they still go through the regular trash. It wouldn't bother me except for the fact that they do it all night long pushing shopping carts down the street and slamming trash can lids as they go.
Old     (sjmedic)      Join Date: May 2004       02-12-2010, 1:30 PM Reply   
I have no issues with it, unless they leave a mess for me to clean up afterward. The only drawback I see is the loss of revenue to the City for other social projects. I think that eliminates any guilt for passing up the street corner and center island panhandlers. They should be digging through my garbage to make a living.
Old     (supraride)      Join Date: Jun 2007       02-12-2010, 5:11 PM Reply   
I think one issue here is that the garbage company actually charges you to save the cans, take them out to the curb and then they recycle them and make money off of all your work. So they want me to buy the beer, water or whatever, drink it, put it in a plastic box in my garage, save for the week then drag their box out to the curb and have me pay for this privilege. I've never really got the whole concept even though I do it. I really wouldn't want someone going thru my stuff on the curb though.
Old     (jaegermaster)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-12-2010, 5:19 PM Reply   
We have recycling dumpsters at most schools. The schools get 100% of the proceeds. I don't give the city anything but trash.
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       02-13-2010, 11:34 AM Reply   
They don't get any bottles or cans from me,I save it for the school.

You could always throw some dog crap on top,then they won't mess with it anymore.......

ps,paragraphs are your friend.