Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 18, 2009

Old     (pri3st)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-06-2009, 11:01 AM Reply   
I'm going to put a small autoballast system in my ski locker. I'm going with a Flyhigh sac. Two Tsunami pumps, 1 fill, 1 empty. So the sacs have 2 fill/vent ports on top & 1 drain on bottom. Fill through one of the top ports. Drain through bottom. My question is... Do I need to to run a vent line from the second top fitting? Or do I vent through the drain (non running) pump through the lower fitting & out the side of the boat. Will venting through the drain pump get all the air out?
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       03-06-2009, 12:39 PM Reply   
That will work but you will likely have to burp the air out the first time. That is how many factory set-ups are. Should work fine.
Old     (pri3st)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-06-2009, 5:41 PM Reply   
OK next question. Does anyone have a link to a switch that I can use for both pumps? I would like to have a single 3 way switch. Fill pump-on, both off, drain pump-on. Do they make such a thing?
Old     (fossilfuelburner)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-06-2009, 6:36 PM Reply   
You need a single pole double throw switch (SPDT) like this one. http://order.waytekwire.com/productdetail2/M37/44306/SPDT%20ROCKER%20SWITCH%20BODY/

These are the factory switches used in Mastercraft and Malibu boats but when I went to the dealer to purchase them, the parts guy didn't have a clue so I bought online.

Here's a link to my install. You need to be logged in to see the pictures. http://forums.wakeboarder.com/viewtopic.php?t=74688
Old     (pri3st)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-11-2009, 11:51 PM Reply   
Am I wasting my time & money weighting down an old school Sunsetter? My plan is to put a plumbed in 350# sac in the locker. It will probably only fill to 250-275#. And maybe a rear seat sac 580#, or a couple 155# blocks. It is usually just me, the wife & 3 kids. Do you think the weight will give a decent wake or is it not even worth the trouble? Boat is in my profile.

(Message edited by pri3st on March 11, 2009)
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-12-2009, 6:01 AM Reply   
Kevin - I installed my auto ballast last summer for my 87 SunSport DD. I have four hidden sacs 1400lbs all driven by one single Simer pump. Why would you want to use two pumps, two runs of hose, two fittings, etc when you can use one?

Simer sump pumps are reversable AND self priming so you never have to worry about if there is water in the line or etc.

Since I have so many sacs I may add a second pump eventually but I have so many things to buy still. :-) Haven't even got my rocker switch installed yet. Thanks for the links above Jeff!

The Simer pump is awesome it is the cheaper version of Jabesco and that's saying a lot. These do NOT burn out easily I have air bubbles in mine because I don't have overflows with a one way check valve yet. They power through any air and I have let it run dry for minutes and the impellor is fine.

The reason you have overflows is because the sacs get full real quick and you can overfill them. It can strain the fittings, as well as the space you may have the sac in, especially the sac real full is a tight fit in the space, which mine can be. Makes the seats pop off the floor. :-)

So if you have an overflow the extra will pour out the overflow and then you know when it is full. Then when you go to drain the sacs, the one way check valve keeps you from sucking air into the sac.

I did mine super budget and super simple and some people are not happy with that but I'm not rich and I can't pay for professional install, and this works fine! I have a valve on every sac so technically I'm only filling or draining one at a time. It takes about 5 mins a sac.

I tee'd the raw water intake that is where the pump fills and drains to. NO ISSUES at all with the method. If you're worried you can do it when the boat's off. Doesn't matter. Then I ran the hose through the bilge and up to the spotters seat where I put the pump. You can't put these kind in the bilge. From there I ran hose from the pump through the gunwhale and to the front and rear of the boat to fill two sacs each. Simple!!!

I have lots of pics but this post got way outta control. YES you should weight her down. With your boat only question is how much. Probably 600 in back and 300 in front is all you can take. I don't know though I've never weighted an older 'Bu before. Sounds fun, love the boat she looks AWESOME!!! Good luck. You can use either pump but I hope my rational makes sense. Hope you don't mind if I post a couple pics. I can take 'em down if you don't need 'em. :-)

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (pri3st)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-12-2009, 8:24 AM Reply   
Funny you mention the Simer pump Mikey. I was just drawing stuff out last night & realized how much plumbing it's going to take with the aerators. It will end up costing me more. I think I will go with the Simer. So when emptying the sacs you just go right back out through the inlet thru-hull? No check valves?(except vent)2 lines fill/empty & vent? Sounds like a no-brainer to me. Why can't you mount these pumps in the bilge area?
Mikey if you want send pics to beast95451@yahoo.com

(Message edited by pri3st on March 12, 2009)

(Message edited by pri3st on March 12, 2009)
Old     (spencerwm)      Join Date: Feb 2009       03-12-2009, 12:00 PM Reply   
Kevin,
I have put a ballast system in a late 90's Malibu sunsetter. We placed two 750 lb. fly high fat sacs on each side of the engine compartment. Awesome wake for wakeboarding and wakesurfing. Go with the reversible pump if you are going to have a rear seat sac and a locker sac. If you are going to add sacs on each side of the engine compartment you will want to be able to control them separately. We allowed the tubing to be a little longer (it tucks nicely in the netting on the side when not in use or when wakeboarding) so when wakesurfing the bag on the off side could be pulled behind the engine compartment. Let me know if you have any questions. spencer@wakemakers.com

Upload
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-12-2009, 12:43 PM Reply   
The Simer empties and fills through the same line and same through hull. The Simer has a fixed-impellor. It WILL NOT rotate unless power is applied and it acts as a valve. No water passes through.

It is a good idea to have a hand-valve just before the pump in case you need to disconnect it. I also keep a valve on all my sacs, but that would be something to look at improving eventually too. Otherwise if sacs are at different heights the will drain into other sacs.

The Jabesco is more expensive because it is made of all brass and it is 'ignition proof' meaning it is certified not to put off any electrical charges that could ignite engine or gas fumes.

Some people do use the Simers there anyways, but it is not recommended. I didn't notice much power drain even after it is pumping through almost ten feet of tubing for the furthest sac.

Yes there is only one line for fill/drain line from the bottom opening on the sac. The overflow is just a real short run from the top outlet of the sac to the side of the boat where an above water thru hull would be needed.

If that overflow line goes up or down it will not work it must be level. Down and it will create a syphon and drain the whole sac down to the level of the thruhull. Up and the sac will get too full.

Simers run about $64 + $10 shipping.
I will dig up the model number and a vendor when I get the chance.

Here are a couple other instal pics. I haven't had the chance to really polish it up and use grommets and such.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (jasonwm)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-14-2009, 1:35 PM Reply   
Nice install Mike! I'm sure you've put a hose clamp on that tube sac, but if not, you really should (or replace it with a W736/W742 combo).