Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2006

Old     (raftisland)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-15-2006, 6:55 PM Reply   
i have a 2004 supra luanch and it is a direct drive and i have had nothing but problems with it like the starter and now i have a bad flex plate.I do use the boat in salt water.

i was wonder if v drives have less problems in the salt water than direct drive boats do? can some one please tell me there opinions.
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-15-2006, 8:06 PM Reply   
greeaat.... <sarcasm> That's just what I want to read. Where are you located?
Old     (raftisland)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-15-2006, 8:39 PM Reply   
i am located in gig harbor washing about an hour south of seattle. and by the way i wasnt be sarcastic because we are thinking of getting a v drive and wondering if people had less problems.
Old     (wakesetter101)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-15-2006, 8:52 PM Reply   
I dont see how v drives would be less of a problem. A DD is alot easier to work on due to more space around the engine.
Old     (raftisland)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-15-2006, 8:59 PM Reply   
ok so on a dd the engineis basically laying on the floor of the boat. when water comesin from the drive shaft it gets in the starter and ruins it. i was wondering on a vdrive is the engine proped up off the floor board so when water combs in it doesnt get in the starter.
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-15-2006, 9:28 PM Reply   
wut????
Old     (mastercraft7100)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-15-2006, 9:31 PM Reply   
test
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-16-2006, 8:57 AM Reply   
same basic drivetrain with the exception of actual v-drive. Most boats will have the occasional problem.
Old     (98air)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-16-2006, 11:44 AM Reply   
v would be much more problems all around...get some kinda closed shaft lube system for keeping out the salt.
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-16-2006, 12:13 PM Reply   
Are your issues really salt related? How do you know the problems are because of the salt?
Old     (raftisland)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-17-2006, 10:05 AM Reply   
yes they are actually related to salt otherwise y would i post something about how the salt is causing problems for y engine.
Old     (elo)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-17-2006, 10:39 AM Reply   
a dd would be easier to maintane, i look at it as less parts to go wrong or bad. and if your gettin that much water in your boat maybe you should get a dripless shaft seal
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-17-2006, 1:39 PM Reply   
I'm just asking cause i just put my 2004 Supra Launch DD in the salt this year. I was weary about it but if I don't use it in salt then I don't use it.

Do you rinse the engine with Salt Away or anything else other than just water when you are done?

I've spoken to a dealer about the salt being bad for the manifolds I thnk the manifolds). If you have the higher HP engine then the manifolds are subject to failing in the salt after one season, but if you have the smaller HP, the parts are different and you should be okay. This guy was a fresh water guy who rarely deals with customers in salt so I was going to call a dealer who specializes more with salt and ask the questions. Just haven't gotten around to it.

As far as your original question, I have to think that the salt is going to be bad for both a Vdrive and a DD. Like the guys on the forum say, the DD may be easier to access and work on.
Old     (raftisland)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-18-2006, 1:31 PM Reply   
yes i rinse the engine with salt away and flush it out everytime. just if there is any water in the engin compartment then run the bildge.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-18-2006, 1:57 PM Reply   

quote:

yes they are actually related to salt otherwise y would i post something about how the salt is causing problems for y engine

Now that's a supporting claim if I've ever heard one!

Here's a tip: don't flood your boat up to the starter with salt *or* fresh water. I'd venture to guess that the flex plate problem was caused by the same event.

I hope both of these boats are running closed cooling systems?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-18-2006, 2:43 PM Reply   
lots of flushing for closed systems...
Old    acase_14            08-18-2006, 3:48 PM Reply   
if you dont take care of your boat your gonna have problems. i have a 2005 cc air 211 and its got a little over 200 hours on it and its never been in fresh water and we are yet to have a problem of any sort. flush it out regularly wipe the engine down with a very small amount of soap and warm water mine still looks brand new
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-18-2006, 4:00 PM Reply   
Even with a closed system you still need to flush the exhaust manifolds.
Old     (raftisland)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-26-2006, 8:36 AM Reply   
alex chase were do u guys put ur boat in the water?