Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (jame04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       07-20-2009, 2:40 PM Reply   
I ripped a thin slab off of a LF custom, it is right at the nose and very thin, just the layer that covers the foam. I was thinking of just using a two part epoxy and lightly sanding it?? What would I use to sand it with? Also is it ok to use something like goo gone to remove excess glue, etc? Thanks
Old    surfdad            07-20-2009, 3:02 PM Reply   
It sounds like you've ripped the fiberglass off. From experience, while you can seal the foam and the edges of the torn glass, it will act like a "cup" catching water, edges of the boat, your shin and eventually lift off. Also from experience it will happen JUST after you have loaded your boat and are 1.5 hours from the nearest tubes of epoxy. :-)

The nose doesn't need any real structural interigty for a small slice. I would just either get a small piece of fiberglass to lay over the entire slice, or you can use a small piece of fabric like an old dress shirt cut up or a sheet.

To prep the area for repair. Lightly sand with 220 and remove any loose foam or other debris.
Mix up some of the 5 minute epoxy, wet the cloth out and smooth it out over the slice, using a plastic putty knife or squeege. When that has cured, fair the edges the surface of the board. To be doubly sure you have everthing covered, you can do a second thin coat of epoxy and then sand it through 600 starting at 150.

Hope that helps.
Old     (samreye)      Join Date: Apr 2009       08-20-2009, 3:30 PM Reply   
Jeff- Could I do the same thing if i have a bad gash in the side rail or do you recomend more work to repair the foam let me know please had a bad day yesterday with my new board