Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 07, 2003

Old    wakeboard4568            09-01-2003, 9:05 AM Reply   
OK i am wanting to buy a fat sac that holds 250 lbs and i already have it picked out and everything. Well my dad was like, before you go out and spend that money, i have an idea. He figures that my grandpa is about 250 LBS so why not j/ get him to come out and sit in the boat and see if it makes a difference. He doesnt get that when u have a fat sac, the weight is evenly distributed so that the wake isnt washy. Well hes arguing w/ me taht6 it doesnt matter so someone back me up...but if im wrong about all this, then dont reply...lol.

thanks, elisabeth
Old    wakeboard4568            09-01-2003, 9:17 AM Reply   
OK I HAVE ANOTHER PROBLEM...I dont have real wakeboard boat...its j/ like a typical family tubeing boat...ya know? Its a larson 18'. WELL now my dad says that our boat isnt built like a wakeboard boat so the fat sacs not gonna work AT ALL. Now hes all pissed off at me like im ungrateful and that they bought the wrong boat. I love our boat...but i cant j/ keep on popping off the wake ya know? Im tired of that. The biggest thign i can do is grabs and im ready to move on ya know? and i cant with our size of wake.

elisabeth
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       09-01-2003, 9:37 AM Reply   
hey elisabeth,

make do with what you have (for now) and continue to concentrate on the basics: grabs, slides, switch stance, edging and surface tricks......

some of the best tricks can be accomplished without any wake! try a tantrum in the flats with a quick direction change while edging on the outside hard....

and just think of how dialed you're going to be when you get that wake you yearn for so much.......

and lastly, an 18' larson is better than wishing for an 18' larson......

cheers girl
Old    rdierolf            09-01-2003, 6:54 PM Reply   
i think your right in both questions
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-01-2003, 7:10 PM Reply   
what's wrong with the "Grandpa Fat Sac" idea? Just invite him out and have him sit right in the middle. How can more weight, in this instance a fat sac or grandpa, not make the wake bigger? Wakeboard boat or not, more weight in the boat = bigger wake.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-02-2003, 12:08 AM Reply   
Just get grandpa to lie down where you want to put the fat sac, or stick him in the locker. Eventually he'll get sick of this and buy you a fat sac just to get out of it.
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-02-2003, 1:13 AM Reply   
Yea elisabeth, i have a simular problem to you, got an 87 four winns horizon 170, its a nice, boat still like its 3 yrs old. Its in great condition. my dad wont let me break the weight limit on the boat which is like 1350. he keeps to all the laws, but after asking him to get a new boat for like 3 years, i realised that at least we have a boat, its ankle high wake, or no wake, ill take the ankle wake any day Our parents prioities are diffrent than ours, like me soon as i get enough money, im going to get a boat and a truck to pull it, given it probley wont be new, but thats whats important to me. So just be happy that you have a boat.
Old     (bigdad)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-02-2003, 2:10 AM Reply   
Back to your fat sac question. You probably won't see a dramatic increase in the wake with a 250lb sac anyway. It will increase the size but the increase won't be as much as you think/hope it would be. Most large sacs are in the 600lb range. With a sac this big you will definitely increase the size. Besides, people are great ballast. You can place them anywhere on the boat to make the weight more evenly distributed. I would actually rather have an extra person in the boat for weight instead of a 250 lb fat sac or lead weight. It's not worth straining the relationship with your parents.
Old    wakeboard4568            09-02-2003, 3:09 PM Reply   
Thanks for the advice everyone. Im really happy to havea boat cause i begged 3 years. Im really happy to have it....The onyl thign about bringin my grandpa on the boat is that he complains a lot and hes fat so he cant pull himself up out of the water, so he gets hot j/ sitting there in the boat...lol.

so A.P. 250 lbs wont hardly make a difference??cause my dad is real specific abotu putting too much weight in the boat.

elisabeth
Old     (bigdad)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-02-2003, 3:47 PM Reply   
250 lbs will make a small difference. But think in terms of inches and not feet. I can honestly say I cannot tell much of a differnce in the wake when I have four people on the boat or three people on the boat. That is assuming each person weighs around 200-225 lbs. Most wakeboard boats have well over a 1000 lbs of ballast on them. Now the differnce of my sacs being empty and full (1100 lbs) then you do see a noticable difference. If you are only going to put in 250 lbs. You might want to think about purchasing bags of sand or cement and placing them in the boat. It's a lot cheaper than a fat sac and a pump.

I understand how your dad feels about exceeding the weight limit in the boat. Most of the people here well over exceed the Coast Guard rating. Just because you exceed the weight limit doesn't mean the boat is going to sink (within reason). Just watch the boat and make sure the it isn't sitting too low in the water. If you can convince your dad this maybe he will reconsider and you can step up a bit and buy a 600lb sac
Old     (lchamaschuk)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-02-2003, 3:51 PM Reply   
No, 250 pounds probably isn't going to make that much of a difference. It's only the difference of 1 or 2 people - if you have 5 people on the boat as opposed to 4, would you notice any difference in the wake? Not likely. You need to start putting some serious amounts of weight in, and likely Dad won't go for it.

But Dad is right - try it out first with inviting a bunch of (preferably heavy) friends (or sandbags) out on the boat, move them around and see if it makes a difference before you spend the money.
Old    wakeboard4568            09-02-2003, 3:57 PM Reply   
HAaha ok thanks. Well i have anohter questrion for yall...how long would it take the pump to fill up a 350 lb fat sac?
Old     (afrodeziak)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-02-2003, 5:10 PM Reply   
From my experience with riding behind a 17 ft outboard sea ray... the wake is actually crappier with more weight in the boat... Just seemed like the wake wasn't as hard.. As well with a of weight the boat is goign to handle really badly and it wil lbe tough for the driver to maintain your boat speed. Just get better and better with what you have... I'm a good example.. learned on our boat but I dont think I've had to ride behind it in the past 2 years... Make some opportunities to get out there with people with the boat that you'd love to ride behind....

btw the otehr day i had a session behind a sea doo, I learned tricks that I would have never taken the time to do behind a wakeboard boat simply because they seem like a waste of time if you fall... Well now I have a blind 180 in the flats and a ollie wrapped 3.

Try stuff like that out, you'd be surprised how easy it can be and also how cool everyone will think it is when you just pull it out of your butt before going huge behind there nice wakeboard boat..

peas
B
Old    wakeboard4568            09-02-2003, 5:47 PM Reply   
OK thanks...maybe now ill spend my money on new bindings....lol