Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2006

Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       02-25-2006, 9:37 AM Reply   
http://consumercenter.jdpower.com/cc/rd/cc/boats/ratings/index.asp?v1=6
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-25-2006, 9:48 AM Reply   
oh man, i guess i'd better sell my malibu now before their value plummets as a result of this scientific report

just like bu's powerboat of the year awards, i don't think any intelligent person takes these ratings seriously. one question though: how do the most expensive boats also have the highest value? isn't that an oxy-moron?
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       02-25-2006, 10:21 AM Reply   
yeah I should rethink ordering that new BU a couple weeks ago....If only I had known
Old     (bobby_b)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-25-2006, 10:57 AM Reply   
cough, cough, bullsh#t!
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       02-27-2006, 12:00 AM Reply   
jd power ratings are a f***ing joke.

bu amd tige` make incredible boats and don't get nearly the representation.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       02-27-2006, 12:53 AM Reply   
Wow....look at the water sports heading...what a joke...I would like to see where they get their info and who at correct craft is paying them off. I just got done looking at the Nautiques great boats fit and finish very nice. Personaly do not like them. I would take a Bu over a nauty any day of the week and on Tuesday just my oppinion
Old     (snyder)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-27-2006, 6:42 AM Reply   
Seriously flawed. how can moomba rank 2 out of 5 on value for the money. I don't think anyone out there would agree with that, whether you like moomba or not. I too call BS.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-27-2006, 6:53 AM Reply   
there was a huge topic on here last year about this. had some good info on how they select certain manufacutrers. part of it had something to do with giving them money to have your product be included. we all know they are all nice boats and to make it look like they are not on the same playing field is dumb
Old     (ef3529)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-27-2006, 7:04 AM Reply   
It is the same with all the reviews. You will never get a honest review of wakeboard boats as long as they are paying the magazines thousands to review their boats. That includes Water Ski Magazine, and any boating magazine. The best critic out there is the buyer, as long as they are honest and not just defending their personal boat. I like Centurion but I also like the other boats as well. Everyone boat has things I like and things I don't. I don't know what the answer is but I quit putting any faith in the reviews a long time ago.

(Message edited by ef3529 on February 27, 2006)

(Message edited by ef3529 on February 27, 2006)
Old     (marcg)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-27-2006, 9:11 AM Reply   

Usually you buy a new boat = you get a survey from JD Powers.

Then at the end of the year they compile them.

In the past that is how its supposed to work...consumer opinion is supposed to drive it.

Old    stillstandin            02-27-2006, 9:15 AM Reply   
I never got one. I do know somebody who has owned two CC's, both were lemoned. Been in and out of them, I will never own one, not impressed with there fit and finish.
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       02-27-2006, 5:32 PM Reply   
LOL!!! Oh Hell!! Now that's funny!!! I saw a funny pattern emerging as I looked from the first column to the second column, then all all the column's. The ratings in all the columns are the same!! From the first to the last! Some idiot bozo who get's paid way too much thought it would would be easier and funny to just make them all the same. Obviously, NO THOUGHT PUT INTO THIS!!

Old     (mcsammamish)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-27-2006, 7:30 PM Reply   
I can't find anywhere where JD & ASS mentions how many people they took this survey from.

Does anyone know hom much money the manufactures pay to be part of this? We didn't need JD P and Ass 3+ years ago. I say get them out of the industry. It's worthless!
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-27-2006, 10:51 PM Reply   
Last year Malibu was rated higher than MC and this year Mastercraft scored much better... the product lines have not changed that much. I don't really buy into it either!
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-27-2006, 10:54 PM Reply   
Correct craft received a 5 for design and styling... I guess they tested boats that had no towers How can you rate the tower on a CC 220 a 5?
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       02-27-2006, 11:21 PM Reply   
Attila that is funny. I have never liked any of the towers on the CC. Their new tower is hideous
Old     (nizzle77)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-27-2006, 11:25 PM Reply   
The 2006 Boat Competitive Information Study is based on responses from 12,255 owners who registered a new boat between June 2004 and May 2005.

they base there numbers only on the peeps who actually submit and thats only 12K. I'm curious as to how many people bought a ski boat last year? wish i woulda known my bu was gonna score so low, I wouldn't have bought it.

Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-28-2006, 9:53 AM Reply   
i sent mine in :-)
Old     (sdub)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-28-2006, 10:09 AM Reply   
If you paid what it costs to buy a new CC, no matter how you liked the boat, you would rank it 5 dingle balls for every catagory.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-28-2006, 10:38 AM Reply   
ain't that the truth. how many of us are honest about what we don't like about our over-priced boats in the first place? if i just paid $65k on a boat, i know i'd convince myself--by putting on ownership goggles known to induce blindness--that it could do no wrong.

i just want to send out a heart-felt apology to malibu owners for single-handedly bringing the rating down. i filled my survey out "honestly" and couldn't bring myself to give the carpeting in my '05 vlx more than 2 stars. damn glue stains!!! . no boat is perfect, and this is a comparatively minor issue (from what i've heard from other tow boat owners) when dealing with new boats, but it's still a pain in the arse
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-28-2006, 10:42 AM Reply   
oh yeah, and i gave it two stars for skiing...not that i have any first-hand experience with that though
Old     (buguru)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-28-2006, 11:49 AM Reply   
I do have to agree w/ Mad Child. You will some changes come 2006 JD power awards, just wait and see..
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-28-2006, 12:04 PM Reply   
Malibu should have at least won "Value for Money."
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-28-2006, 12:05 PM Reply   
i'd give that to supra...had they even been on there
Old    supra_herman            02-28-2006, 12:06 PM Reply   
man i wish i would have seen this before i bought my 06 Supra 24ssv..... i didnt know supra was such an "un-heard of company" it wasn't even on the list. that report is such BS
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-28-2006, 12:15 PM Reply   
I find it amusing how fired up people get over this stuff.

I have said it before and I'll say it now... I don't care how or why, it is always good to be ranked #1.

My previous boat, a Cobalt was #1 as well....

Hip hip hooray for JD....and his band of Power Rangers....
Old     (mcsammamish)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-28-2006, 12:32 PM Reply   
Well it sounds like the cost of participating in the survey is around $22,000 to $25,000. It's another 10k to 15 to use their name and information for advertising.

It also sounds like Malibu did not choose to participate in the 2005 survey. Malibu found out that the amount of customers surveyed last year was less than 1% of their total sales. "I think I would save the 25k too." For 2005 JD P & Ass. bought the names from a website and used them. It sounds like Malibu has found out that the total amount of people's surveys used for 2005 where around 120. This is about .03% of their total sales. It also sounds like there where 10 states not included because they weren't able to access these through the website service they used.

If this is true, it is very disapointing to me. To think of the reputation that JD P & Ass. has with people and how many people put value in what they say. Then to find out that they use such a small number of people in a restricted area of the US and post this as something valid is very disapointing. I have to say I've lost all respect for JD power and Ass. and will never consider anything they do valid or worth using to form my opinion. They're just another company capitilizing on a capatalistic country.
Old     (buguru)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-28-2006, 2:06 PM Reply   
Matt, Imagine that I have the same info you do.
Old     (mcsammamish)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-28-2006, 2:25 PM Reply   
Well it sounds like the cost of participating in the survey is around $22,000 to $25,000. It's another 10k to 15 to use their name and information for advertising.

It also sounds like Malibu did not choose to participate in the 2005 survey. Malibu found out that the amount of customers surveyed last year was less than 1% of their total sales. "I think I would save the 25k too." For 2005 JD P & Ass. bought the names from a website and used them. It sounds like Malibu has found out that the total amount of people's surveys used for 2005 where around 120. This is about 3% of their total sales. It also sounds like there where 10 states not included because they weren't able to access these through the website service they used.

If this is true, it is very disapointing to me. To think of the reputation that JD P & Ass. has with people and how many people put value in what they say. Then to find out that they use such a small number of people in a restricted area of the US and post this as something valid is very disapointing. I have to say I've lost all respect for JD power and Ass. and will never consider anything they do valid or worth using to form my opinion. They're just another company capitilizing on a capatalistic country.
Old     (buguru)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-28-2006, 2:29 PM Reply   
Matt, didn't you just say that..lol
Old    monair            03-01-2006, 7:40 AM Reply   
Wow - you Bu guys want some cheese with that whine? Rationalize all you want but it's hard to argue with 4 straight JD Powers awards...
Old     (fbi)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-01-2006, 8:13 AM Reply   
If it is a whole game of who pays the most, Malibu has got to be making enough money in their sales to pay it so why don't they? Then I would like to see the response from you Malibu owners.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-01-2006, 8:20 AM Reply   
JH, well malibu has won like 26 straight powerboat of the year awards, so that must mean they're the best right? people distrust all awards, not just 'bu owners with JD
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-01-2006, 11:37 AM Reply   
and i'm going to go out on a limb and say that correct craft will win their 5th straight power and associates award next year and malibu will win their 253rd straight powerboat of the year award
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       03-01-2006, 11:47 AM Reply   
"If you paid what it costs to buy a new CC, no matter how you liked the boat, you would rank it 5 dingle balls for every catagory".

Sdub is correct. I would rank my old CC a 5 in every category. Maybe I'm in the minority as I NEVER had a problem with that boat. The new one is on the way, time will tell. I know more people with 'Bu problems than I know with CC problems (you know who you are), so watch the bashing comments.

All said, I don't give much to the rankings on JD Powers or other Quality awards. I've been part of those processes and they are skewed by manufacturers just like articles/reveiws are on performance.
Old     (mcsammamish)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-01-2006, 1:30 PM Reply   
buguru, Nice name. Fits you well.

The first post has some wrong numbers. Right as I hit "post message" I looked at the .03% and figured out it looked weird and tried to stop the post. The information I had and what I wrote was that Malibu found out that 120 people were used for the 2005 survey and they built around 3,700 boats last year. 120 out 3,700 is a little more than .03%. This is the difference in the post.

Jason, (FBI) do you think that giving someone $25,000 to represent your company in a National or Internationally published survey on your product is smart when they only take 1% to 3% of your customers to base their results. On top of this Malibu does their own survey with every new boat buyer and can use this information.

Malibu is most interested in information like this to help them become better and know where they lack and where they excell. This is how they learn to be better. So what will 1% to 3% give you that you don't already know. It will give "you" the boat buyer a higher price tag!

My point is, that after finding out this reliable information, I'm very disapointed that JD P Ass. can claim to be as reputable as they claim. And I'll never trust anything they do again and I guess it's just opened my eyes more to our great capitalistic society and how no one is exempt.
Old    monair            03-01-2006, 2:04 PM Reply   
Last time I checked the great non-capitalistic societies didn't have a lot of people running around in 40k towboats either... I'll take capitalism any day of the week!
Old     (xsmini)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-01-2006, 2:37 PM Reply   
I think Malibu needs to take the money and go to the CSI awards, They're more in depth, and are run within the NMMA.

Also, if you want unbiased opinions there needs to be a consumer reports mag with boats in it

I too agree, J.D. Power is just a something invented to generate income for themselves
Old     (fbi)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-01-2006, 3:50 PM Reply   
just as a small FYI, CC sends a survey to every new owner and then follows up with them a year later.
Old     (buguru)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-01-2006, 4:06 PM Reply   
LOL, Matt I did notice your type-o and you know me I had to say something to ya.. Ya I think the name fits well...
Old     (sdub)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-01-2006, 7:29 PM Reply   
Yo Noti...get yo panties out that big o' wad ...I was not hating at all, you know that. Heck my next boat will prob. be a CC after all that shiz I have been thru w/ mine.

I guess I didnt articulate that as well as I could, nothing new. My bad. I jus meant...ah forget it.
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       03-02-2006, 12:04 PM Reply   
You listened to something I said? That's twice in one week. BAAAAAAHAHAHAHA! No worries. Didn't take it as personal.
Old     (dragginby)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-03-2006, 10:32 AM Reply   
not sure if this was said but....JD ranks you by how much $ you spend with there company. You pay so much for JD to survey your company. The more you pay the better they rate you.
I work for a very large company that was going to pay JD to rate us. My company ended up not doing it cause most people don't read those reports.