Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-29-2013, 5:00 PM Reply   
I've seen some pretty cool sub enclosures with some plexi fronts etc. But the more I read, the more I am discouraged that it may affect sound quality. Any opinions to that? I am just considering installing a 14" x 16" plexi window to the back of my sub. I can only find 1/2" plexi in my area too which I've heard should use 3/4... The reason I'm considering the plexi window is because I don't want my sub to face out to the feet, so thought maybe a window to the back of the sub might look kinda cool
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-29-2013, 5:48 PM Reply   
jeremy,
If you use 0.75" thick material, which you should, why have you heard that this plex window will adversely impact sound quality?

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-29-2013, 8:32 PM Reply   
Hawk, I have 3/4 plexi over the entire face of my sub enclosure with no adverse results. You'll have no problems assuming you can get it mounted and sealed properly.
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-30-2013, 7:41 AM Reply   
Yeah I wasn't thinking it should but when trying to figure out what kind of enclosure to do, some old posts on here actually suggested that some subs do not sound as good in plexi.

Planning to silcone and screw through because I like the look of the screws being visible. Or should I be using a foam seal instead
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-30-2013, 9:32 AM Reply   
Jeremy,
I personally don't like a foam seal because you have seams in the corners. For that reason I prefer a silicone gasket. When silicone begins to gel/cure it loses its adhesive qualities. So you have to be both precise and quick about it.
The other major issue is that you are typically pre-drilling and screwing into the end of MDF which doesn't have near the strength and splits easily. Spacing is important. Close spacing would suggest a good seal. Too close together promotes splitting the MDF. Practice on a throw-away piece first. Once you pre-drill the pilot holes make sure you resin seal up the end/edge of the MDF. It's more porous so it will consume a couple of applications.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-31-2013, 7:43 AM Reply   
Thanks for the info David, very helpful. Picking up materials today. Hoping to build over the weekend. Will post pics, but only if it turns out half way decent...
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-07-2013, 8:36 AM Reply   
Oversprayed some kyrlon fusion paint on my plexi face...any tips for removing it without damaging the plex?
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-10-2013, 7:47 AM Reply   
WD 40 seemed to work. No hazing so far. taking longer than I thought trying to do one step in between all my kids sports stuff. Question for you David, or anyone else if you know...good option for connecting the speaker wire through the box? I have the plexi window so not sure I just want a drilled hole with silicone or the terminal cups are kinda ugly from the inside...
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-10-2013, 7:53 AM Reply   
Conductive stainless steel bolts and hardware.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-19-2013, 9:50 PM Reply   
Name:  box interior.jpg
Views: 746
Size:  69.0 KB

Name:  sub box.jpg
Views: 741
Size:  48.3 KB
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-19-2013, 9:52 PM Reply   
whelp...there it is! It took forever using any spare 10 minutes I had at a time to git'r done. waiting for the silione to cure, then hopefully get to test it out...
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-19-2013, 9:58 PM Reply   
Thanks for the tips guys! Much appreciated!

Last edited by hawk22; 06-19-2013 at 10:00 PM. Reason: edit
Old     (DGREEN)      Join Date: May 2013       06-20-2013, 7:34 AM Reply   
Great work Hawk! Can't wait to surf and hear it! Bring her down!!