Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-24-2013, 4:34 PM Reply   
Hey guys, yet another boat project.
Looking to install a new ballast system on my 2005 Tige 22V and even though I've done around 10 ballast systems I still have a couple questions.

1. Any advantage to filling from the back of the boat vs the bottom?

2. I'm using Tsunami 800 pumps. Has anyone used these to go through the hull, as opposed to using the mushroom type fitting? (Only if installed on the back of the boat)

3. I bought enough components from wakemakers to do a three bag system, there isn't much room under the front seats, so I'll fill that with sand bags, thinking about having a bag in the front walk way. Should I drill a couple holes in the wall next to the drivers console for fill and empty lines or would that look too ghetto?
Attached Images

Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       04-24-2013, 5:41 PM Reply   
You and Tige's have been friends lately... Did you sell the little white and red one yet?
Old     (LFMCrider6)      Join Date: Jun 2011       04-24-2013, 5:41 PM Reply   
I have an 03 22v. I think the bag on the floor would look ghetto in that boat. The boat looks really clean. I would put two bags in the storage areas I front of the helm and passenger area for a lot of weight with your sand. I have 550 fly highs in the rear and the bow sack. I am looki g at doing bags in the storage area as I talked above. The other thing with the separate bags is you could dial in the wake for surfing and wakeboarding. Good luck boat looks great.
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-24-2013, 7:47 PM Reply   
Hey Josh, yep, still have little white. Its listed on ebay and ksl.

1. I looked at it and there just isn't enough room at the back of the boat so I just drilled two large holes by the transmission. and
2. Being that its under the boat I'm going with the mushroom thru hull.

Chad, I only thought of it because I already have a heater vent hole there. The other compartments could hold lots of sand, but probably not that much water. I'll let you know what I decide. Thanks for the input.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-24-2013, 9:55 PM Reply   
My concern with filling from the back vs the bottom is that it may be more difficult to purge the pumps if they need a bit of help to get started, cant tell ya for certain though! May not be a problem.
Old     (spencerwm)      Join Date: Feb 2009       04-25-2013, 10:27 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by robandrus View Post
Hey guys, yet another boat project.
Looking to install a new ballast system on my 2005 Tige 22V and even though I've done around 10 ballast systems I still have a couple questions.

1. Any advantage to filling from the back of the boat vs the bottom?

2. I'm using Tsunami 800 pumps. Has anyone used these to go through the hull, as opposed to using the mushroom type fitting? (Only if installed on the back of the boat)

3. I bought enough components from wakemakers to do a three bag system, there isn't much room under the front seats, so I'll fill that with sand bags, thinking about having a bag in the front walk way. Should I drill a couple holes in the wall next to the drivers console for fill and empty lines or would that look too ghetto?
1. Filling from the transom does not work very well. You cannot fill while underway because of the draft. We have also seen more of a tendency to get air trapped in the system because of the hose orientation.

2. Fishermen install the 800's through the hull on the transom all the time. We don't recommend that but I have seen it done. Supreme as of now still does it and MasterCraft did it on the first generation ballast systems between 1999 and 2001. It is plastic so if the pump intake does fail you will want to drive to shallow water quickly before the boat sinks.

3. I have seen some clean installs in the walk way area. That is hard because it is out in the open so there is not much you can do.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-25-2013, 10:38 AM Reply   
With aerator systems I prefer the transom install. I have two reasons for this.

1st reason: If you get air trapped and the pumps lose prime you can put the boat in reverse for 2-3 seconds and boom they are fixed. If you get the same issue on the bottom fill point you have to suck on the hoses. Which sucks.

2nd reason: Aerators need filters and having them accessible and easy to clean is a must, the first system I designed didn't have it and I had to take the heads off the pumps and it was a pain in the butt.

Having them on the transom means no filling while underway, but that has never been an issue for me.

Here is a thread on my install on my 24v. It might help, two of my fills are by the v-drive and they work perfectly.

http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...-Tige-24v-Mods
Old     (LFMCrider6)      Join Date: Jun 2011       04-26-2013, 4:05 AM Reply   
Rob,
No problem. I ran a bag in the bow on the floor last year. It always seems to be in the way. I just like the look to be factory or should I say my wife does not like the bags all over lol. So I work hard to make it all hidden. I run three jabsco pumps through the bottom of the hull in front of the v drive. Keep us posted with pictures as you build it.
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-26-2013, 12:54 PM Reply   
Just thought I would share. I went to Taylors boats today to pick up some extra hose. They have the exact same stuff as wakemakers.com I asked how much they wanted for it and the guy (with a straight face) is like $7 per foot! I had to stop myself from laughing. I just looked at him and told him it was $.99/ft at wakemakers. So he told me he could do $6/ft. Not to rip on Taylors but wow, thats some serious mark up.

Anyway, I'm short a couple of parts so I made another order. I'll post pics when it progresses more.
(By the way, I have no affiliation with wakemakers, just a happy customer)

and one pic to make me want to get thisproject done and start ridding.
Attached Images

Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-26-2013, 5:45 PM Reply   
I hope you are going to have room to spin the ball-valves and pumps on. Kinda hard to put the holes back in.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       04-26-2013, 7:19 PM Reply   
I was thinking the same thing. Why did you run them up so close to the top edge?
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-30-2013, 9:23 AM Reply   
Questions, Questions: I'm trying to figure out a way to do a single inlet on the front bag. I already put one inlet in the walk way. I know its easy with a simmer pump but after using aerator pumps on my last few projects I'll never go back. Has anyone done it?

I built a little manifold, I'll have to put up a pic for you to really get the idea, The pump pushes the water through a 1 way check valve, to the manifold with a pvc T, from there the water can enter the bag, the other branch goes to the empty pump. The problem I foresee would be that it could suck water from the fill line, instead of the bag. Would a breather valve on the fill line, prior to the manifold solve this if it were high enough in the boat?
Attached Images

Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-30-2013, 9:30 AM Reply   
Here's a diagram.
Attached Images

Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-30-2013, 10:21 AM Reply   
Not that I follow a whole lot of these but aren't you typically supposed to have a shut off between the thru hull and the pump? A- to be able to stop the water if the pump broke apart and B- while underway the force of water under the boat would push through the pump and hose?
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-30-2013, 5:16 PM Reply   
Rob,

Can I make a couple of suggestions? Ive done a couple ballast installs.

1) are those plastic thru-hull fittings you are using? If so, I would suggest bronze for below the water line.
2) I would suggest using some sort of threaded connection between your thru-hulls and pumps as opposed to slipping hose over threads and clamping.
3) I would suggest ball-valve between the pump and thru-hull. Its nice to have an emergency shut-off in case of a failure or leak.
4) are those compression fittings attaching the hose to a schedule-40 PVC connector on the outlets of the pumps. I would not trust a compression fitting below the water line. Why not just use the fittings that came with those pumps, they work great. If you need a straight because the 90 doesnt work for, then they can be had.
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-30-2013, 8:40 PM Reply   
Plastic Thru Hulls - Please tell me that you are joking...Not an area where you want to cheap out.
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-02-2013, 8:38 AM Reply   
Mike:
1. Happy to have a friendly conversation about the merits of using plastic though hulls. I installed my first ballast system over 10 years ago and have done at least 12 of them. Never had a problem with them. If I hit a rock hard enough to break them off, then I've got some other serious problems.
2. The hose clamps hold well. If I can't pull it off by hand then I trust it.
3. I've had systems with the ball valve, and systems without, with these aerator pumps I find that the simpler it is, the closer the pump to the water the lower the chances of getting air stuck in the pump and losing pressure. The simpler the better.
4. They are schedule 40 pvc connectors on the outlet side. I would use the stock elbows that come with the pump, but for some reason, when you order pumps form wakemakers they don't include them, (I didn't know this prior to ordering) You get the pumps at $24 ea/ but they charge another $5 for those fittings, which I suppose is why the pumps are so cheap. In any case, I heated the hose up so it would fit over the threaded fitting on the pvc, and will use hose clamps to complete the install. I got the pvc parts at Home Depot for $.65 each. The inside diameter is the same as the pump outlet so it should be fine. May not be as pretty but these won't be seen.

I always loop the hoses as high as possible in the body of the boat with a vent valve, these things are not leaking unless they spontaneously explode. I feel safe doing it this way, and over the years I've never had an issue.

Dave, when underway, the plastic through hull fitting actually creates a vacuum that can empty your bags if you don't have a vent line on the intake. I always loop the hoses as high as possible in the boat and add a T with a vent to the exterior, so the force of water while underway isn't really a concern. I suppose its possible for a pump to break apart on its own, or for the motor to come loose, but without being touched its fairly unlikely.
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-05-2013, 11:46 PM Reply   
Just wanted to post a couple pictures of the completed project. I wanted a clean install for the front bag and I think it was successful.I managed to use one hose for fill and empty using the Tsunami pumps. The system worked perfectly. Just sold the boat on Saturday, Now I have a 2000 x star in the driveway as a new project.
Attached Images