Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 28, 2009

Old    iav84u            05-26-2009, 2:12 PM Reply   
I'm driving my 2008 Moomba LSV from Portland, OR down to Lake Tahoe for a week and was wondering if it is ok to tow with the Z5 Cargo rack on it. Does anyone have experience with a long tow?
Old     (mikebu)      Join Date: Aug 2008       05-26-2009, 2:23 PM Reply   
My understanding is that this is not good for the Z5 Cargo Rack as it will eventually wear and rip the fabric.
Old    pdxWAKE.com            05-26-2009, 2:24 PM Reply   
I have towed long distances and have another buddy that has as well. Towed from Portland to Southern Cali and also to central Oregon several times. Other than a few bugs I think that is the best place for it is to just leave it up....
Old     (jsxstar)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-26-2009, 3:19 PM Reply   
I tow mine over the mountains in WA almost every weekend in the summer. This is the third season with my Z5 and no rips tears etc.
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       05-26-2009, 7:35 PM Reply   
Neal take it off turn it around and stick it in the cockpit it fits pretty well. Especially if you have a snap cover. Otherwise strap it down in the cockpit. I tried removing the cover from the frame but it was a bear to re-install. It works really well in the boat secured. Have a great trip!
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-26-2009, 7:53 PM Reply   
I've been towing my boat with mine installed. This is the 3rd season and it's finally showing signs of wear. I took the straps off so maybe it would help out. That thing is just too big to put anywhere. I normally don't tow with my cover on, but I'll think about strapping it in the cockpit next time.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-26-2009, 7:54 PM Reply   
Oh yeah, do they make longer arms for the rear? I installed a Wet Sounds 3-Some recently, and got the rack re-installed, but it's lower. I had to put the rear clamps for the rack on the rear tower supports, and they're parrallel to the boat, instead of being mounted higher and going down. If I had longer arms on it, I think it would be better.
Old     (tgoin)      Join Date: Apr 2009       05-26-2009, 7:56 PM Reply   
I took mine off and put it in the boat to go to Lake Powell last fall, just like the dealer said.

I tried to tie it down to keep it from moving - had it on top of all the stuff needed for a week for 7 people.

Wiggled around and tore the he!! out of parts of the interior.

Now I just take the fabric off and stow it - leave the frame up.

It takes all of about 2 minutes ...

Todd
Old     (bazel)      Join Date: Oct 2001       05-26-2009, 8:20 PM Reply   
I have been towing with it up, but have been wondering about the longer trips. I have been thinking about taking it off for longer hauls.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-26-2009, 8:49 PM Reply   
Todd, a 2 minute removal is great, but how long does it take to reinstall it? I was gonna do that on my garage floor and lost interest. Way too much work to do that doesn't send a paycheck afterwards.
Old     (sbruns)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-26-2009, 9:56 PM Reply   
There are two types of fabric covers (that I know of). The cover with the snaps was nearly impossible to put back on after removal, but the cover made of sunbrella is just as easy to put back on as it is to take off (a couple of pulleys and 4 straps w/buckles).

John, I too had an issue with the Z5 after I replaced the stock tower speakers with something larger. I was able to keep the Z5 almost in it's original position by removing the 'loop section' on the rear of the Z5. Pretty easy, looks stock and allows me to keep the Z5 in optimal position.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-26-2009, 11:17 PM Reply   
What do you mean removing the loop section? Do you have a picture?
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       05-27-2009, 2:21 PM Reply   
From the website:

Q5: Can I trailer my boat with the Z5 Cargo Rack on it?

A: If your boat is a 2009 model, then the answer is yes. Please refer to the warning label information on the rack. The warning label states:

“To ensure safety while trailering, it is recommended to take the following steps:
1. Attach two front safety tie-downs.
2. Tighten rope ratchets on main canvas.
3. Remove cargo web with quick release buckles and store in boat.
4. Check security of ALL socket pins.
5. Remove ALL equipment from rack.”

If your boat is a 2008 model or older, then the answer is “not without adding two front tie downs for safety, and two quick release buckles on the cargo web so that it can be removed while trailering”. Retro kits are available. Please contact us at Z5 with your boat year, brand, and model.

Q6: How do I maintain my Z5 Cargo Rack?

A: The canvas portion of the Z5 Cargo Rack is made out of premium-grade Sunbrella material. It should be washed with a mild biodegradable boat soap using a soft sponge to prevent abrasion and then rinsed thoroughly with water. The stainless steel and aluminum components should also be washed with boat soap, rinsed, and wiped down with a chammy or towel. A small amount of Chapstick can be applied to the ball and socket joints on the rear of the rack that are used to release the rack to tilt. This will allow the ball to slide easier into the plastic insert in the socket. Security of all pins and bolts should be checked on a periodic basis. Canvas should be kept tight by tightening the ropes on the underside of the rack. Two rope ratchets are located under a velcro flap. Tighten the rope ratchets to eliminate any stretch in the material. Be sure to remove the “cargo web” while trailering or it may cause excess wear on the main canvas. Thank you for taking pride in your Z5!
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-27-2009, 2:22 PM Reply   
Ive got it down to about 5 minutes. Its well worth removing fabric.
Old     (bazel)      Join Date: Oct 2001       05-27-2009, 3:24 PM Reply   
Do you only do this for longer trips or everytime? I was under the impression it was OK, but I think on the long hauls I will look into removing the fabric.
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-27-2009, 4:59 PM Reply   
Don't take the entire Z5 off, just remove the cover.

To answer your question about whether to do this for longer trips or every time... If you're getting up to freeway speeds, take the cover off. I've worn the crap out of my cover, and have damaged a couple of the mounts when towing with the cover on in high winds. Wish I would have taken dealer's advice... now my Z5 cover doesn't look so good.
Old     (chadfowler)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-28-2009, 7:46 PM Reply   
I have a 2006 Z5 Cargo rack and tried to take the whole thing down once and it was a pain in the ass. I then tried to just take off the fabric and it too was a pain in the ass to put back on. Now I just drive with it on, I've gone as far as 600 miles and have had no issues.
Old     (craig_f)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-28-2009, 8:53 PM Reply   
To be fair though the cargo web is never on the top.
Old     (pickle311)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-28-2009, 10:44 PM Reply   
Mine has started to show some wear also. It's only on the cargo web and I've never used it so i took that part off. I will now remove the fabric for longer trips.
Old     (sbruns)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-31-2009, 12:36 PM Reply   
John,
I haven't been back to WW for a few days...
"What do you mean removing the loop section? Do you have a picture?"

Here is a quick pic, quality isn't too good, but you get the idea of the 'loop' I removed from the Z5. Hope it helps, let me know...

Upload
Old    septicwaters            05-31-2009, 10:14 PM Reply   
Remove the cover, or take it down and store it in the boat.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       06-01-2009, 8:19 AM Reply   
Thanks for the pic sbruns. I seriously considered doing that on mine, but the Pro485 would still hit in the center of the frame. I'll take a look at it again and see if I can make some adjustments.

I've been having a problem lately where one of the safety pins falls out and the mounting pin slides out of the clamp. This is on the front left clamp, and it either happens on the road, or on the lake. Saturday it happened when we were crossing the main lake. I had to stop and try to get it back in, water was very rough with 2-3' swells, and my wife and 8 month old son were along for the ride. I had to take the 2 rear ones loose, then fix the front one and put it back together. Needless to say I was pretty angry at the time.
Old     (sbruns)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-01-2009, 9:59 AM Reply   
I've had a similar incident with the saftey pins falling out in 'big water'. I'm going to try something like this.

Upload
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       06-02-2009, 8:28 PM Reply   
I took a pic of it for you guys this weekend on our trip. The one thing I did do that helps is I made a swivel seat for mine so the cover fits a little better. Otherwise I put it on a duffle bag on the passenger seat and and a blanket to cover the interior before I put it in.Upload
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       06-03-2009, 3:34 AM Reply   
I have the wrap-around seating, so that's not possible.
Old     (tgoin)      Join Date: Apr 2009       06-03-2009, 5:15 AM Reply   
Me too John,

The first time I tried it in the cabin, I had tied it down, to keep it from moving - but it still tore the snot out of some vinyl and the fake wood in the captains area. REALLY upset me.

Now, I will remove the fabric - it really only takes a few minutes.

The guy at Z5 said he's sending me an upgrade
kit to allow me to tow with it up, so I will
see what that looks like - may still take the fabric off just to be safe. I never use the cargo
straps - so they generally just stay off (never
figured out how to use them, just use the
straps on the cross-bars)

Todd
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       06-20-2009, 12:01 PM Reply   
Todd can you post details of the upgrade kit? I have a z5 coming on my new boat and am wondering about towing (as well as what tower speakers will work - nautique fct3 tower). Thanks!
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       06-20-2009, 12:04 PM Reply   
I'm interested in this upgrade kit too....
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       06-20-2009, 12:07 PM Reply   
I just read the FAQ on z5's website and evidently 09 boats come with this kit (front tie downs, etc) so I guess that will be coming with my boat. I'll post in a couple weeks. I also emailed z5 for more details.
Old     (tgoin)      Join Date: Apr 2009       06-20-2009, 4:59 PM Reply   
I got email from them, and he asked me
to send him a picture of what I have - which I have
yet to do ... bad for me.

Todd
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       06-20-2009, 8:01 PM Reply   
Bad Todd
Old     (tgoin)      Join Date: Apr 2009       06-21-2009, 6:17 AM Reply   
Especially since I leave for Powell in 6 days,
wanted this all set for the 500+ mile tow...

Just been nuts-busy. Have only had the
boat out 4 times (once in Feb when the water
was 38 degrees) - it's been THAT busy.

Todd
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       06-21-2009, 7:19 AM Reply   
Me too man.....