Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeskating

Old     (shawns_no_good)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-09-2007, 9:25 AM Reply   
I'm going to Lake Powell in a couple weeks and my brother in law wants to see me try to wakeskate. I've read most of the other questions on this topic and seems like it's pretty similar to getting up on a wake surf board, any truth to that?
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       07-09-2007, 9:54 AM Reply   
Shawn ~~ I don't skate too much due to the risk involved for me. That damn thing hit my leg yesterday trying a 180 shove. I just float it under me while they bring me the rope. As soon as the rope gets tight lean back a little and the board will stay to your feet till you give the sign. I do the same with my wakeboard and it took some learning but I will never go back to lying on my back to start. Good luck and have a good time in Powell.
Old     (bbking)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-13-2007, 1:57 PM Reply   
well, nobody had ever taught me and i got one for my bday

here is what i did- the skate doesn't float well enough to just rest your ankles on it like a wakesurf, so you just have to have the wakeskating sticking out of the water 2 inches or so...
keep your feet on in a comfortable position for riding, when the boat gets in gear it'll make it a lot easier and just get up like a wakeboard

i get up fast on the wakeboard so getting up on the wakeskate was a little weird because you have to stay squated a bit longer
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-17-2007, 7:27 PM Reply   
i get up on it pretty similar to my wakeboard, but a lot of times i actually hold the sk8 in the center with my hand til there is tension on the rope. the one thing i noticed a big difference in is that i had to keep my weight a lot more equal on the sk8. i tend to lean back - probably too much - on my wakeboard. try that on a sk8 and it goes shooting out from under you. have fun at powell!
Old     (shawns_no_good)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-18-2007, 8:02 AM Reply   
Thanks, I'll try that. Hopefully I don't make too much of a fool of myself. My brother in law is expecting big things after told him I used to skateboard all the time through highschool.
Old     (treycleaton)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-18-2007, 6:00 PM Reply   
Don't live up to expectations....just have fun man
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-18-2007, 9:36 PM Reply   
^ Word ! What skate are you gonna be ridin' ?
Old     (shawns_no_good)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-19-2007, 10:14 AM Reply   
I have no idea what it is, I asked them if they had one for the powell trip and they do, but it never gets used apparently so we'll see how it goes.
Old     (nowornever)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-07-2007, 8:36 AM Reply   
Getting up without a tower.
I can get up all day with a tower, but without it it's like the skate is stuck in the mud. I use a above water start just like on a wakeboard. No matter what I try it just wont plane out. I have to figure it out because I just bought a Honda wave runner. HELP.