Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 28, 2007

Old     (icedog10)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-30-2007, 5:52 AM Reply   
I got to demo 2 boats yesterday and now am confused. We tried the Tige 20V and was happy with the ski wake but my son who is an intermediate boarder thought the wake was too wide. The lake was rough so that could have had something to do with it. I felt the ski wake on the 209 was about the same but the wake board wake was narrower and softer with half ballast in front and 4 people on the boat. The lake had calmed down by then. I ski a 93 205 right now so the room on both was better. My wife like the Tige for the creature comforts and no mid engine. My question is can you shape the wake more to mimic the X9 wake?
Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-30-2007, 11:35 AM Reply   
the wake on the 20v isn't that wide it was probably just that it was rough. the beam on that boat is only 96 inches so compared to the RZ2 with a 102 inch beam its pretty narrow. from the sound of what you need in a boat i think the 20v would be perfect. with no ballast and taps to 1 its going to throw a good ski wake and tap it up to 8 and a lil ballast(if he wants it a little bigger) it'll be a good wakeboarding wake. accorse its not going to throw a huge wake like a 24 foot v drive boat but it'll be plenty for your son. i think its a lot more practicle to go with a v drive if your going to be taking your fam to the lake with you and maybe some other people. a lot more people user friendly.
Old     (want2ridealot)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-30-2007, 6:00 PM Reply   
Heard the 20v is difficult to weight. It needs a lot of weight and a lot of bow weight. The boat proposes all the time when boarding. I wouldn't recommend the 20v for wakeboarding but that's all we do. If your looking for a 20ft V drive I would say look at a VTX. The wakeboarding wake is GOOD with all MLS and the power wedge. They say it's a pretty good slalom wake too.
Old     (trewblu)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-30-2007, 7:22 PM Reply   
I need a good boat
Old     (sulmaxwell)      Join Date: Dec 2003       09-30-2007, 7:29 PM Reply   
I am very happy with my 209- (X9)- in regards to the performance behind the boat...wake is sweet/..fully wieghted it compares to the X Star...and slalom skiing is so nice behind it the versatility of the boat is fantastic my next ride..based simply on additional storage and such..may be an x2 or a wakesetter...as I still really like to slalom ski,,,otherwise it would be the xstar hands down!
Old     (milehighrider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       09-30-2007, 8:54 PM Reply   
sul, are you saying that the x9 wake compares to an x-star? or did i read that wrong?

brent, i rode a 20 v this year and liked the wake a lot. you do need to weight it though, which could take some time. i would go with the v verses the dd after owning a couple of each.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-01-2007, 6:37 AM Reply   
There are after market ballast setups for that Tige if there isn't a ballast system in it already. From what I have seen, two 20v owners that are on tigeowners.com have +1000 lbs in the boat. One specifically has two 400# sacs in each rear locker and a integrated bow sac. However, I agree with Ryan. Any wake is going to suck when in rough water IMO. How fast were to going? The slower you go, the wider the wake will be.
Old     (icedog10)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-01-2007, 6:39 AM Reply   
Thanks to everyone for the advice. I looked up the VTX it may be out of my price range right now. I saw a 2003 VLX for about 32k that I may look at. What is the ski wake like on that boat?
Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-01-2007, 8:54 AM Reply   
your not going to get the ski wake that your going to be wanting from the vlx.
Old     (deltadave)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-01-2007, 5:34 PM Reply   
Ren: the Tige 20v "porpoises" all the time when boarding?? I've driven the Tige 20v at boarding speeds many times and that's never been the case.
Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-01-2007, 7:21 PM Reply   
deltadave is right about the porpoising. if for some weird reason it does all you have to do is trim the taps plate up a number or two and it solves that problem. thats one of the thing thats nice about the taps. you can controll the porpoising if you have a heavy load in the back and nothing in the front.