Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 21, 2006

Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       07-10-2006, 3:34 PM Reply   
I have an 05 Sanger V210 with a broken SpringLift shock. It holds the observer seat up. This is the second one that has broken on our boat. Has anyone else had any trouble with there observer seat? Sanger has replaced the shock both times. I would like something that lasts longer than two months though.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-10-2006, 3:41 PM Reply   
observer seat? lets see pics..
Old     (edandgem)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-10-2006, 3:53 PM Reply   
I think you mean Bolster seat.
Old    bigrich            07-10-2006, 3:59 PM Reply   
Also when you say broken is it phsically broken or has it just lost pressure?? Those shocks are standard that they use on cars for like trunk lids and also camper shell doors. Ihave a V215 and the rear storage lockers require so much force to open that I have already ripped one of the straps off so I was thinking about doubling them up or getting some with higher pressure.
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       07-10-2006, 4:37 PM Reply   
Here is a picture of the rod that is bent on the shock. The shock lifts the seat (across from the driver that faces the rear of the boat), so that you can access the storage under it. The seat itself is ok but it is hard to lift without the shock to hold it up.Upload
Old    bigrich            07-10-2006, 5:07 PM Reply   
You said that has happened twice. Both times the rod bent like that?? If so the you must have something binding the operation or the travel of the shock is not straight. If you get just a slight bend in the shaft it will not travel into the cartridge straight then additional pressure will cause it to bend like that. Are you putting anything under there that may be a little oversized that could be hitting the shock even when the compartment is closed or shifting while underway and making contact??
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-10-2006, 7:30 PM Reply   
Sounds like an angle issue with the way the shock is mounted.
Old     (sodabay)      Join Date: Jan 2006       07-10-2006, 11:41 PM Reply   
This post motivated me to reply as I am a longtime reader and value all the great information. We have a 04 Sanger V210 with the same exact problem. Along with the gas spring breaking the upholstery is now lifting up and basically coming off the seat. Boat was at the dealer to have this repaired from Feb - July and continues to be outstanding issue; apparently all warranty work must be approved before parts will be sent. We love our Sanger and are being patient.
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       07-11-2006, 6:04 AM Reply   
Thanks for the help everyone.
Both rods are bent but the other one is not quite as bad. We have all the lifejackets and gear stored way up in the compartment so they should not interfere with the operation of the shock. Sparky Jay, I think you are right about the angle issue. We will take it back to the dealer again and have them check this out.
Sanger did replace the part both times but we need to make a change so this doesn't keep happening. I hope you get your problems solved as well CJ. We love our Sanger too and are getting ready to take it on a road trip to North Idaho and Montana for some wakesurfing.
Old     (insuranceman)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-11-2006, 6:13 AM Reply   
Sue, I had one bend over the 4th of July on my Supra SSV. It was one that holds the front ballast locker door open. There are two 20 inch 40lbs struts there to assist in opening the door.

Anyway had to many boards in the boat so I stuck the two kids boards down there and when I went get a rope out one of the boards moved a bit and when I went to close it it bent just like in your photo.

Went to west marine and purchased a new one for $20 bucks and replaced.
Old     (sam8)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-14-2006, 10:16 AM Reply   
We have a 99 Sanger DLX. Same issues. The observer seat gas strut was pushing so hard on the seat itself where it is screwed to the hinge that it was literally pulling the screws out of the wood, seperating the seat from the hinge.
first, I tried bigger screws, thinking it was a weight issue, as the seat, as we know, is not light.
Same problem. I drilled new holes in the hinge, new #12 screws.
Pulled the strut, and the problem is gone. It appears to me that the strut is either too long, or mounted in a position that puts things in a bind when open and closed. I am going to make a prop and put it on the seat base with a hinge, near the mid-point to minimize flex/bind, so that we can open the seat and use the prop to hold it up.
Our boat is a 99, the problem obviously hasn't been addressed yet by Sanger.