Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (sangeria)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-14-2010, 11:40 PM Reply   
So, my buddy dropped his wedding ring in about 20 feet of water next to the dock at the house we're renting here at Tulloch. Anybody have any dive gear here that would help us out retrieve his ring? If so, let me know here and I'll contact you. Here until Friday. Thanks!!
Old     (trevorg7)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-15-2010, 6:48 AM Reply   
Sorry, I cannot help with the scuba gear but I suggest lowering your anchor (or something smaller) at the spot where it was dropped. Therefore you'll have a bouy marking the area to search...might help the memory.

Good luck.

T
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-15-2010, 3:37 PM Reply   
How about one of those huge magnets that they sell at Harbor Freight?
Old     (pwningjr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-15-2010, 7:13 PM Reply   
^^Unfortunately, gold ain't ferrous.
Old     (consigliereg8r)      Join Date: Aug 2009       06-15-2010, 7:15 PM Reply   
I thought this was another post about the x-80
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       06-15-2010, 7:40 PM Reply   
^^^^HAHAHA I f'n love it
Old    SamIngram            06-15-2010, 8:16 PM Reply   
20 ft is an easy skin dive... Jump with a big rock and adjust your ears...
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-16-2010, 9:53 AM Reply   
Mikes wife dropped a diamond in the lake and he rented some gear in Modesto. There was a guy who used to live in Copper he had a add at the marina he called him self Scuba Steve He would go down looking for this type of stuff for $. I tryed looking for him ill let you know if I have any luck

Anyone who thinks they can dive down 20 feet and locate a ring in dark water is a STUD IMO . Not saying it cant be done its just hard to locate small stuff like that in a matter of seconds. Thats where scuba gear comes in. You have time to get down there and look around. Im gonna buy a scuba just for this type of stuff. I have dropped so much stuff like sunglasses that a scuba set up would pay for it self pretty quick
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-17-2010, 1:49 PM Reply   
Are alot of people wearing their rings out on the boat? I never have, nothing to gain from it, but alot to lose.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-17-2010, 2:04 PM Reply   
Eh, I don't know how quickly it would pay for itself but would be fun to have around. That stuff aint cheap!
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-17-2010, 3:14 PM Reply   
A spare air can would be smart to carry on the boat. wouldn't take up too much room.

http://www.spareair.com/
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-17-2010, 3:54 PM Reply   
Yeah my wife lost her earing up there last year. We never found it so there is 5K sitting at the bottom of the lake in our cove. Thank god for insurance other wise I might be at the bottom of the lake to!
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-17-2010, 4:20 PM Reply   
Spare air is a good idea if you know how to scuba dive, I wouldn't want just anyone using a pony tank on my boat though. A lot can go wrong even in just a few feet of water if you do something stupid when breathing pressurised tank air, like holding your breath while ascending. Number one rule, never hold your breath, which is exactly what someone who has never been scuba diving and has no training is likely to do.

20 feet shouldn't be too far for most people it might take a few dives though. If you were to dive off the dock you'd probably be down ten feet before you even have to start swimming. I'd try a torch and some goggles first off.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-17-2010, 4:27 PM Reply   
Mens wedding ring? Is it really worth it?

You can buy them all day on ebay for $50. I'm on my 6th one.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-17-2010, 4:36 PM Reply   
Does the lake level fluctuate a lot? I know I am waiting on a pair of sunglasses to resurface from Lake Naci under by buddies dock. Can it be something that gets waited out? I'm sure the dudes wife will love that explanation, "but honey, I can't wear the ring until the lake level goes down. It's just a symbol, I'm married to you in my heart forever..."
Old     (colombiansurfer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-18-2010, 5:34 AM Reply   
I have to agree with Jos on the dive. I am an dive instructor and you just don't don scuba gear and jump in like in the movies. A lot can go wrong and will go wrong if you are not trained on using compressed air. The bends, getting narc and especially hold your breath will do more harm than good. And if you get any of those, you better have a chamber around or those little tiny air bubbles in your blood will cause major brain damage or even death! Bad thing is some people will not know this or the signs until its too late.

Just go out and buy another ring or call a professional to look for it. Not worth losing a buddy over a material object.
Old     (nelson)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-18-2010, 8:33 AM Reply   
^2
I am an instructor as well and there are a lot of things that can happen in a matter of seconds. But on the Spare Air they work great I always have one on the boat never had to use it for anything of mine yet (Knock on wood) but it has saved a few sets of keys for my buddies.
Old    SamIngram            06-18-2010, 9:26 AM Reply   
Well I guess everyone has an opinion.... I learned to dive in the military and in 20 feet of water looking for a wedding ring I'm not really worried about getting the bends... like I said before, get a big rock, jump in, adjust for pressure and have it...
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-18-2010, 10:37 AM Reply   
Sam, I think Eric and David were referencing a non-certified diver just donning scuba gear and jumping in. As far as I know, I don't believe you can get the bends simply from swimming down 20 feet, maybe just an ear ache.
Old     (nelson)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-18-2010, 12:10 PM Reply   
I have seen people do some stupid stuff with scuba gear that should have never even used it. Most of the time it's because they get down and panic. Some people can't handle it that is why we train in a pool first then move to open water even then I still have had people go into full lock down. Jeremy is right you won't get the bends. If you have never done it let someone that is certified go down for you. I would say grab a spare air and a rock and go for I do it all the time. You may be surprised at how far off the ring is from where you think it was dropped. Best of luck finding it.
Old    SamIngram            06-18-2010, 12:20 PM Reply   
Just for the record, I never said you would get the bends... the guy posting above me mentioned it...

In the military, at least when I learned, they pretty much threw you the gear and so go down there and swim around... don't come back up until we tell you. Don't even get me started how they taught us to use the CCR... I probably burned up a bazillion brain cells. I know probably passed out 20 times on nitrox.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-18-2010, 2:04 PM Reply   
mud bottom you will never find it. we have lost quite afew things over the years, when stuff falls in the water it doesnt fall straight at all.