Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-18-2010, 4:45 PM Reply   
I just got my new auto insurance agreement and my rate went up close to 30%!!!! Has anyone else seen this? I called up my provider (progressive) and the sales rep said that the great state of CA decided to change the policy requirements making it more expensive to do business in CA.

Anyone else having any luck fighting this? Is the answer the rep gave me true?

Thanks,
Matt
Old     (brettw)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-18-2010, 4:48 PM Reply   
I would shop around it I were you. Try AAA.
Old     (t0nyv831)      Join Date: Jun 2008       02-18-2010, 10:00 PM Reply   
According to my buddy who is an insurance man all broker type companies' rates, like Progressive and Farmers Insurance, will be increasing. He works for State Farm and says their rates will remain the same because it's a stand alone company and they don't broker their shi@@@ out. He's been asking me to jump ship from Farmers, but hasn't been able to match the rates since I've been with them for so long. With this 30% increase though looks like I may have to reconsider.
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       02-19-2010, 2:45 AM Reply   
Farmers pulled that on us 6 months ago in NC. Went up 29%. Switched to Farm Bureau and couldn't be happier. In fact a week ago, our son just made it thru his first year of driving so it dropped $60 a mnoth. Sweet.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-19-2010, 4:34 AM Reply   
If you can get in with USAA I highly recommend it.
Old     (stroh)      Join Date: Apr 2008       02-19-2010, 5:53 AM Reply   
I can only speak for my state (Indiana). Tons of companies are going up anywhere from 15-30%. The stock market coupled with some bad weather years finally caught up. I have been writing a lot of business away from State Farm and Farm Bureau since December.
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       02-19-2010, 5:55 AM Reply   
Brandon, whose the cheapest in your state? Farm Bureau had everyone beat in my situation.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-19-2010, 6:12 AM Reply   
I saved $100 a month when I switched to USAA, but I think you need to be a veteran or know someone who is to get in with them
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-19-2010, 6:32 AM Reply   
Erie is a great company to deal with with reasonable rates. Check them out if you are in a state that they do biz in.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-19-2010, 3:43 PM Reply   
State Farm. Auto, home, life, they haven't changed a thing.
Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-19-2010, 4:16 PM Reply   
State farm here too. Auto's and home, I just added another car and it got cheaper.
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-20-2010, 6:59 AM Reply   
I'm also with State Farm. Boat, house, life, cars, and my rates have stayed the same since day one.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-20-2010, 9:53 AM Reply   
After more research it turns out that this is something progressive is known for...progressive rates. I just recently switched out. I guess they figured I would not "notice" a $225 increase in my yearly rate!
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       02-20-2010, 10:29 AM Reply   
Always pays to shop. Used 21st Century for years, occasionally shopped around but nothing could beat it.

Last check when we tried to put everything on one policy made AAA the winner. Auto insurance premiums didn't change price wise but we got way more coverage.

We have cars, home, and Toy Hauler all on the same policy.
Old     (blastmaster)      Join Date: Aug 2001       02-20-2010, 6:23 PM Reply   
15 yr independant agent representing many carriers including Progressive, Safeco, Hartford, Allied,Travelers, Civil Service Employees, Kemper, Foremost and many others.

Rates are cyclical and all carriers are raising premiums due to poor performing investments. Time and again people worry more about rates than coverage, service or policy form.

After a claim with the direct writers such as State Farm, Farmers, AAA, and some of the carriers I represent you must know you will be dealing with a employee whose job is to settle the claim quickly and for the least amount due insured. That is ok, but sometimes insured's feel cheated and maybe rightfully so...

Does the policy form include OEM,or LKQ replacement parts? Ask, because it means you may be getting used or worse yet aftermarket parts. Many repair shops will refuse work if the policy form your carrier has puts them in a position of lessor quality repair and having to warranty it later...

Is your policy a 6 month or 12 month term? I perfer 12 month terms as it can men a longer delay if there is a rate increase or you pick up a citation....

Have you received all possible cresits like multi policy, multi vehicle, good driver, persistancy,occupational, group etc..

What limits are you seeking? Are you willing to accept a higher deductible like $500-$1K?

Have you talked to a few different agents/ Both direct writer and independant agents?
Never consent to a brokers fee unless you have acrppy driving record requireing filings, Then you have no choice.

What are the payment options? What is the billing fee the carrier charges? Are thye waived if you have eft?

Too many variables to just do quicl comparrison Ask questions, get educated, feel comfortable with your agent, expect & plan to stay with them for a long time. Find out their availablity, experience, availabe roducts and carriers,size of support staff etc...

Contact me if you have any questions.

Rick
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-20-2010, 6:32 PM Reply   
Mine actually went down and I have better coverage. Dropped AIG and am with Liberty Mutual now. Great rates and no bull in the policy, and all OEM parts even after the vehicle is a couple years old. Cali too by the way.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-21-2010, 12:34 PM Reply   
Mine went down too after dropping AIG which was ->New Hampshire Indemnity who went -> 21 Century and now I've gone to GEICO.
Being in FL and seeing the cost of my auto drop is fairly amazing considering all the fraud that goes on out here.
Yes my limits were kept the same.
Old     (stroh)      Join Date: Apr 2008       02-22-2010, 11:41 AM Reply   
Randy,

It is one of those things where I couldn't say who is the cheapest. Every person has a different situation. Take Travelers for example. In my county they are not very competitive on price. Drive 20 miles up the road to another county and they're writing business left and right.
Old     (sound_illusions)      Join Date: May 2005       02-22-2010, 12:02 PM Reply   
Wow, was kinda wondering the same thing about my truck. I have an 08 Ford F450 and last year my monthly insurance payment was $145.00. Just resigned last week and the monthly payment is $249.00. Before everyone says to shop around, I have. And its not the rates of the insurance that stops me, its that only a select few companies will insure this truck as a private party truck. I could insure it under the business but it would be more then I pay now because its a company vehicle. I almost s*&! myself when I found out how much it went up. I added the fiance's Touareg to the policy and it only went up to $265.00 a month. Makes more sense bc she was paying $100.93 a month before. It seems rediculous for 2 cars and was wondering if anyone else had seen the same thing. I guess so.