Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 03, 2009

Old     (ronix_one)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-12-2009, 3:43 PM Reply   
Since the general consensus out there is that boats are getting too expensive, I wanted to get your opinion on whether or not new wakeboards are getting too expensive as well? Hyperlite's D.I.N.E. series, Liquid Force's Fly series and Ronix's V2 series are all priced at or above the $650 mark for a blank board, and boots are running anywhere from $350 to just over $400. Sure, you can still get an Omega, Trip, Motive or Vault setup for around $350 or so, but as an enthusiast, and a halfway decent rider, I'm more interested in "the good stuff". But dropping $1000 for a setup doesn't appeal to too many out there. Again, just wanted to see what everyone's thoughts were on this. So what do you think, does the new technology warrant the increased price?
Old     (hayes)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-12-2009, 3:51 PM Reply   
No, you can pick up a full setup from last years gear for under $400. Often times, all that is different on the new gear is the graphics. Save yourself some money and buy last years gear.
Old     (sapphire)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-12-2009, 3:54 PM Reply   
agree with walt. Hurts the shops but like you said 1K is just too much.
Old    wakejjboard12            03-12-2009, 3:59 PM Reply   
$1000 is WAY too much for me. I usually get a new board every year or two but almost always get the previous years gear.
Old    K.B.C.            03-12-2009, 4:04 PM Reply   
I would NEVER EVER EVER EVER even consider spending $600 on a deck. Absolutely ridiculous....
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-12-2009, 4:10 PM Reply   
I have always bought a year behind. It has never bothered me. However, I would imagine that most people don't pay retail on new gear. Even still the DINE, Fly and V2 boards are pretty expensive and I don't think any of them will be in my board rack any time soon.
Old     (ronix_one)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-12-2009, 4:12 PM Reply   
Walt - I agree with you to a degree. What I was getting at though is that you these "new" series boards are just that, new, or at most were new last year. Sure, you can pick up last year's Sub VI or last years DHV1 or CSV1 for a discount, but even so, the Sub VI is still listed at $599. The F.L.Y. series from LF is brand new this year, so no discounts there. Do you think most people will wait another year, and ride their old setup one more year?
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-12-2009, 4:17 PM Reply   
HELL YES!!! Boards/bindings are WAY too expensive. I've always thought that it was ridiculous at $500+ for board/binding set ups. Glad to see this post and find out that I'm not the only one who's been thinking this. I'm with Walt Hayes on last year's model or even used.
Old     (pavement_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2009       03-12-2009, 4:19 PM Reply   
I used to get a new board every year or every other year at least. However as the prices neared the 1K mark I hung on to that old Hyperlite and have been riding her for 5 + years.I've toured the factory and know what goes into making these boards so 600 for a blank board ridiculous
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-12-2009, 4:21 PM Reply   
i would venture to say that the majority of people riding a FLY series board or a DV2 are people that are getting some sort of support or are people that are very serious about riding. for the average rider i would guess that even $500 is a lot for a new set up.

i think $600 for a board is pretty crazy..
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-12-2009, 4:27 PM Reply   
I was going to get a new transcend platinum with bindings this year but had a hard time dropping $750. Ended up getting 08 stuff for half the price. Definitely expensive and it seems that the mfg all make a ton of different boards. Every rider has their own line? Crazy, why so many?
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-12-2009, 4:49 PM Reply   
When I was a broke HS student and obsessed with wakeboarding I always hated how much the sport cost. I found a pretty cool way of staying up on new gear. Each year I would buy either a new board or new boots, that way I always had the current year something and one year old the other. It was awesome and seemed to work good for life of the product too, after 2 seasons the board or boots were about beat.

People that spend extra on the exotic cores are either independently wealthy and/or need to be the coolest of the cool. Especially when most of the boards come in a normal core that rides about the same.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-12-2009, 4:53 PM Reply   
yes. gear is too expensive. I think part of the problem is, there are too many pro model boards nowadays. IMO.
I dont ride nearly as much as everyone here, so I dont need to buy new gear as much. typically I will get 3 years out of my board and bindings. plus, I will try and buy from a discount site to save money. I dont really have a local shop to support, so I dont worry about that side of things.
Old     (hbguy)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-12-2009, 4:56 PM Reply   
Are this year's boards that much more than prior years? It doesn't seem that way. I want to say that MSPR on my last couple boards have been over $500.

Personally, I don't think the setups are too expensive. If you compare them to what you pay for a quality snowboard, set of skis, surfboard or anything else that is somewhat similar, the prices seem about right. In addition, very few people pay full price for their setups. I know I don't and I am not in the industry. My last two full set ups have cost me about $500 to $600. Both were of higher end boards. Of course, I would love it if they were cheaper but can't say that I thought they were a rip off.

However, I would think that, given the economy, alot of people will not be buying new set ups unless they really think the board is going to make a huge difference over their old board or they find a ridiculous deal somewhere. Gotta tighten the budget somewhere and foregoing a new board is one of the easiest ways to do it.

I know that there will not be a new set up for me this year. Going to keep riding my 07 Transcend Platty. Maybe even fix the small split at the end of my 02 Byerly DNA and start rocking that one again. Man, I still love that board.
Old     (daveronix199)      Join Date: Feb 2009       03-12-2009, 5:10 PM Reply   
NAAA suck it up and pay the price alaways another pay check coming around sooner or later
Old     (goinbigg17)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-12-2009, 7:21 PM Reply   
I found the best way to get better prices on gear is to hang at your local shop and help out. They are always willing to hook you up with a small discount if you helped sell another customer something.
Old     (colombiansurfer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-12-2009, 7:23 PM Reply   
I feel that the prices on some boards is way out there. Especially when the latest board hit the store for say 899.00 then the end of the season it goes to 599.00 and the last ditch effort the same board is listed for 299.00. Personally seen this on one board that Overton's had. That itself tells me that there is a lot of mark up on the boards. I keep my boards at least 3 or 4 years before trading.
Old     (stuntmonkey)      Join Date: Feb 2009       03-12-2009, 7:29 PM Reply   
Would never spend more than $400 on a full set. My girls got a '08 Obrien board, bindings and a bag for $375 from the boat show.
Old     (hkyleagg)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-13-2009, 4:36 AM Reply   
yea i picked up an 08 ronix one setup(board and bindings) this year for like $425.....i dont think i would ever pay $1000 for a board and bindings when you can get last years gear for half the price.
Old     (sean7791)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-13-2009, 5:52 AM Reply   
To me the board prices don't annoy me that much. Although I wouldn't spend over $600 on a new board.

The thing that annoys me most is the mark up on ropes. I bought the shane bonifay handle recently but trying to find a good line at a decent price is hard. Seriously $100+ is wayy too much for a rope
Old     (luke_j)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-13-2009, 6:30 AM Reply   
at least its not snowboarding... you can dump 1K on blank board, 400 on bindings and another 400 on boots. The FLY and Dine boards are a niche thing. you cand still get on a pro model for 400 bucks, which has been the standard for several years now. I don't think thats out of hand.
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-13-2009, 6:37 AM Reply   
Yes!
Max I'll spend on a board: $250
Max I'll spend on bindings: $200
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-13-2009, 7:21 AM Reply   
Here's what I pay....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hyperlite-Motive-134-Wakeboard-NEW_W0QQitemZ170302288740QQcmdZViewItemQQptZWakebo arding_Waterskiing?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116
Old    justinh            03-13-2009, 7:59 AM Reply   
Devil's Advocate Response:

No. The retail price for pro-models has hovered around $400 for the past 10 years. Also, Premium core boards in the mid 90's (Honeycomb) were going for $650+. Today's PVCs have superior performance characteristics (durability) and are about $650.

Think about how much boat you could buy in 95' for $30,000 how much boat will that buy you now?

Comment: The other day people were complaining about wakeboarders not making enough money. Today we are complaining that wakeboards are too expensive. I bet Gator could afford to pay better salaries if everyone stopped shopping closeout sites and paid full retail.
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-13-2009, 8:51 AM Reply   
Sorry Justin, I can't afford it as a public school teacher. I also don't complain about how much pros make-in any sport. Let their markets determine their salaries. It's an extremely fun and addictive sport and I love it, I'm just willing to pay for what my family can afford.
Old    ajmac            03-13-2009, 8:52 AM Reply   
I bet they would too, but if their product wasn't so much money, it probably wouldn't sit on a shelf for a year and then be sold at a closeout price when the new stuff comes out.
Old     (wvboard)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-13-2009, 9:12 AM Reply   
Lets face it....this is not a cheap sport and if you are involved in it, chances are you are doing pretty well financially.

Its not skateboarding where you can go out and pick up a board pretty cheap and ride it all day at no additional cost. Buy the time you purchase a boat, fuel, storage/slip and equipment its a pretty substantial investment.

And, ultimately it boils down to....most people that wakeboard are passionate about it and if this is what you love to do, you will spend what it takes to do it.

This is why a set up cost so much. Companies realize that the people in this sport are financially well off and passionate about it...the price is then set accordingly.

I firmly believe this is a major factor keeping wakeboarding from being more mainstream.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-13-2009, 9:33 AM Reply   
Depends on how much you get out of the sport, how much you ride. Growing up, had 1 ski for the whole family, got a new one like every 5 years. I wakeboard alot now, feel that it is something that I am really into, it's worth it to me keep myself in the best gear. My dealers are very good about giving me a fair price on the purchases I make.

That being said, yes, overall prices are a bit on the high side. I'm sure more people would be into new gear every year or so if they could get into it for a few hundred less. Same goes for boats, on a larger scale of course
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-13-2009, 10:11 AM Reply   
justin is right. check the wakeworld board guide and look at the prices over the years. they have been the same forever.

but im too broke to wakeboard so i just wakeskate
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-13-2009, 10:31 AM Reply   
Yep, I remember paying $450 for my LF Fly135 back in the mid nineties. That was the first and last time I would ever pay that much for a board.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-13-2009, 10:59 AM Reply   
The same can be said for Snowboards. I think I dropped $800 + for my set up.
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-13-2009, 11:08 AM Reply   
"Lets face it....this is not a cheap sport and if you are involved in it, chances are you are doing pretty well financially."

Not really. It's sort of like golf. The sky is the limit as far as what you can spend on wakeboarding but all you really need is a board, some bindings, a rope and something to pull you. A lot of us are getting by pretty nicely with our second hand gear and getting pulled by I/Os and outboards just like their are golfers who get by on their Dunlop clubs and X-outs playing at the cheap courses. It does take some investment to get started wakeboarding but it's certainly not out of reach for most.

Back to the original question, is new equipment too expensive? Not as long as people are still buying it.
Old     (wvboard)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-13-2009, 11:31 AM Reply   
"It does take some investment to get started wakeboarding but it's certainly not out of reach for most."

I would say that this currently is out of reach for most.

I would venture to say that those that are "just getting by" with equipment, are the minority in the sport. I see way more people out wakeboarding behind $80,000.00 boats on $1000.00 set ups than I do guys riding behind 14' flat bottom boats with outboards and 10 year old equipment.

My family has been into watersports my whole life and I am doing ok financially...but I can tell you that if it were not for the boards and bindings being given to me...there is no way I could afford a new set up each year.

That being said...Because of my love of the sport I would still do what i could to get a new set up as often as possible. I do think that new equipment not only helps a rider through advancements in shapes and technology but also in attitude.

(Message edited by wvboard on March 13, 2009)
Old     (tahoeguy7)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-13-2009, 11:45 AM Reply   
I don't know how much of a difference it makes in terms of dollars, but I am pretty sure that it costs quite a bit to run a CNC machine to cut out the PVC core on some of the new high end boards. I am sure that the cost of materials has also gone up in recent years.
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-13-2009, 12:07 PM Reply   
"I would venture to say that those that are "just getting by" with equipment, are the minority in the sport."

Being able to do something but choosing not to doesn't make it "out of reach." Out of reach would be when you don't have a choice in the matter. "Just getting by" might be the minority these days but it's still a perfectly viable option. I still see plenty of kids out there riding on older equipment behind cheaper boats. Some of them are even pretty good.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-13-2009, 1:04 PM Reply   
There's plenty of good functional gear out there cheap. I'd say the biggest problem with the cost of the latest and greatest is parent's being badgered by their kids to own it.
Old     (anthemwake)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-13-2009, 3:18 PM Reply   
John and Dante hit the nail on the head...The overwhelming majority of people that drop the big bucks on state of the art, high end equipment and boats will never, ever, in a million years fully utilize what those products have to offer. How many times have you seen a 13-year-old kid with a tricked out boat and the hottest new pro model board available and the kid can barely clear the wake?

The fact of the matter remains that you don't need that pimped out X-Star to wakeboard, just like you don't need to get a new $1000 setup every year. Having said that, 99 percent of the people complaining about prices are the same ones lining up to buy the new stuff year in and year out because somewhere along the way, someone decided that if you upgrade your setup every year, you'll ride better. Now honestly, how many people in in the world will ride noticeably better on a 2009 Watson than they will on a 2003 Substance? I'm all for new technology and better boards, but for the overwhelming majority of people, that annual board upgrade is all about strong marketing far more than it is about better performance on the water.

Now don't get me wrong; I realize there are surely riders who will benefit from newer boards and can tell a difference between an intermediate board and a pro model. But I have news for you: those are not the people who are driving trends in the industry because most of the riders at that level get boards for free or cheap anyway.

I know it's cool to have nice, new stuff...I honestly get that. But here's the best analogy I can think of: it's kind of like if everyone complained about how expensive cars were, but when you looked around, everyone was buying BMW's and Mercedes and turning their nose up at Corollas and Civics. There are plenty of inexpensive boards and bindings out there, but people have to have the brand new pro model setup because they think it's going to make all the difference in the way ride. Furthermore, there are also less expensive boats out there, but people have to have a big boat with 15 speakers and 10 board racks or they're not happy.

So yeah, the stuff is probably too expensive, but if I was a manufacturer, I'd be charging the same thing. I mean, can you really blame them? Year after year, there are people lining up to fork over the money for the latest and greatest, and I have a feeling that until people don't get over this "got to upgrade every year" mentality, you'll never see prices go down.
Old     (reinle)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-13-2009, 6:26 PM Reply   
I have bought my latest set up off of the classified ads here on wakeworld. I bought a new (still in plastic) 08 absolute platinum for $250. You can usually shop around and find a board for an awesome deal. I bought an 06 absolute platinum for $250 a few years ago, but it was used. Deals can be found, you just have to shop around for them.
Old     (wvboard)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-14-2009, 6:22 AM Reply   
No..you dont "need" the latest and greatest equipment to go out and have a great time on the water with friends wakeboarding...

But everyone one of us hear wants it!

That is why set up prices are so high
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       03-14-2009, 8:26 AM Reply   
I don't find wakeboarding equipment too expensive. Boats... absolutely!

Realistically a snowboard package is running around the same thing or more if you're purchasing high end gear.

The prices of wakeboards were higher 8-10 years ago, prices have come down, but with them coming down we see all the keep it in north america posts. The attitude that I'll pay more for home grown material. Wakeboards will fluxuate with economic conditions. Being around the sport as long as I have it's still within the standards I've seen throughout the years.

High end water ski equipment is easily as much and more.

Anyone remember the costs on the new lighter core material boards years ago (when they were first being introduced)?
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-14-2009, 12:00 PM Reply   
I think the reason the cost has stayed the same is the mfgs moved production out of the USA. I know the murray I bought several years ago was made here now only a few boards are. In fact the CWB platty boards built here only last year aren't this year as I understand it from another post. So you can keep the pricing the same but its at another cost. I think I could stomach a few more dollars if I knew it was keeping jobs here. Another reason I bought last years transcend platy besides price and my far less than pro ability is the fact it was made in the USA.
Old     (anthemwake)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-14-2009, 2:58 PM Reply   
It's a very romantic idea that people will buy boards and support brands because they're made in the USA, but it's just unrealistic. These are the same people that are responsible for the slow death of local shops across the country because they're all hellbent on sniffing out a better deal from online retailers. They say they'll pony up more money for American-made product, but then turn around and buy from an online store just to save a few bucks. Does that make any sense?

Again, there are most definitely exceptions to the rule, and I'm sure that there are people out there that would gladly pay a premium for American-made goods, but every time I read people getting all Toby Keith and saying how they'd be more likely to support American-made brands, I have to roll my eyes and take it with a grain of salt because I don't think most people realize what would happen to the industry if everything was made here.

It would be impossible for brands to manufacture boards domestically while maintaining enough of a margin to function the way the are now. They would have to cut back on R&D, they would have to cut back on workforce/benefits, and they would have to cut back on marketing, which translates into a drastically different industry than we know right now. Team riders would be getting paid less, events wouldn't be getting the same support, magazines and media would take a huge hit, photo trips and team videos would be non-existent. I mean, let's not kid ourselves, wakeboarding is not a booming, money-making industry as it is; can you imagine what would happen if the profit margin for these brands got even slimmer?

Plus, after all that, there's really no guarantee that the boards would be of any better quality whatsoever. The absolute worst quality boards I've ever seen in my life were from a factory right here in the good ol U.S. of A.

It's a nice idea, but when it comes down to it, the best thing for the brands and the consumers and the sport as a whole is overseas manufacturing. Simple as that.
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-14-2009, 3:45 PM Reply   
i got the 08 lyman and the 08 shanes both on sale for 500$ great set up
Old    thebiggmann            03-14-2009, 11:08 PM Reply   
Semi-on-topic question: Are small shops really unable to drop prices on boards? I live in a town of about, ohhhhh, 10,000 when you add in all the little outlying communities. We have one bike/board shop, at least one that sells mildly legit gear, and they still have an '06 Shane they are trying to sell for $299 i believe. I KNOW other places drop prices on stuff that is getting that old, but is that because they are in a larger market? I've gotta think that they could drop that board down to even $199 to at least have a shot at selling it, cuz there is no way that board goes in this town at $299. Am I making stuff up, or are they really that stuck trying to sell that board at almost full price?
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-15-2009, 9:55 AM Reply   
Local stores have rent to pay. They have to display the product with lighting and employees to help you as opposed to just storing a bunch of product in any location. Also, if they're not on the internet their customer base is a lot smaller so they can't lose any money on a board as its harder to make it up. But local shops provide demos and one on one customer service online sites can't. Have you asked them if they price match? Its worth a shot. Im sure they don't want to miss out on a sale they are just asking a price they feel is fair. I try the local dealer before I buy online because the reality is the pricing is about the same. When I bought my Faction setup I bought it from the dealer at a boat show. The bindings ended up being too small a month later when I actually got out and they had no problem exchanging them. Try that at an online site! When I was looking for the Transcend the shop was out of 08's and due to the price difference between 08 and 09 stuff I bought online. I like the guys at the local shop here and try to spend my money there when I can. They are knowledgeable and I can try stuff out. You just cant get that online. Oh yeah, and if you put them to it they price match.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-15-2009, 11:45 AM Reply   
i think the msrp prices seem high but there are many other levels of board choices that are not this years new core or pro model.you can buy many new boards for under $300 even at your local shop.

if you are one of the wakeboarders who wants the latest and the greatest then you have to be willing to pay for it..at least they are available and again we arent paying msrp anyway so no big deal IMO.

also think about this the warrantys on the high end stuff is the best of all action sports IMO so if they keep making boards/bindings lighter and have more flex then the chances of it breaking more often is greater so if they are willing to give a two year warranty on a board and have to replace it twice then you really got three board for 1k..i am happy to pay 700 for a board in 2005 then end up with a new board very year for free because of the warranty,so im on the latsest and greatest until i switch boards or brands ,all for one time fee of $750

trust me its what ive done now for 4 straight seasons and im starting to feel bad but i break a board every 8 months and get a new one and they actually honor that warranty forever it seems.so if they are willing to go out that far for us why quibble on price.

if you break a skateboard you have to buy a new one and that goes for a lotof sporting gear..

so in short yes prices seem high but in reality we are getting a bargain and enjoying ourselves at the same time..

also personally if this sport were chaeaper and was more mainstream ,id more then likely quit or be forced to buy a private lake because all my local lakes and rivers are overcrowded already,anymore and it wouldnt be fun anymore IMO

think about it ?:-)
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-15-2009, 12:44 PM Reply   
If you actually stop to think about it buying boards is no more expensive than a set up in most other activities. The boat payment, gas, and even camp sites over the coarse of a season outweigh the wakeboard cost. And other sports like snowboarding or dirt biking is as expensive. Heck I was gonna drop $1200 on a bicycle about a month ago. I guess that saying pay to play is true. It helps the industry to buy new stuff but by no means am I wearing out what I got after one season. So its my choice to buy and what price level I buy into.
Old     (anthemwake)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-16-2009, 7:30 AM Reply   
Here's another reason that boards are priced the way they are...I saw this posted in another thread and thought it was pretty relevant. I'm not calling this guy out or saying that he did anything wrong, but it seems like this is a situation that a lot of people find themselves in...

"i bought one Cwb platty absolute 5 years ago and broke one ever year for four years straight,so i got four boards for $350 over that time and ride anew one every year that i get for free within a week under warranty plan,then i switched to the 138 transcend platinum i picked up at the boat show as a demo ride ridden twice for $160 i broke it in 8 months got a new one and broke it again and now have a new 2009 transcend platty sitting here for this years ride."

This guy got four boards for a grand total of $350, then got two more for $160. Who's paying for all those extra boards? My guess is that a lot of the extra $$$ that brands will have to shell out for warrantied boards is factored into the original cost. They're just betting that the average rider wont break a board a year for four years straight and will come out somewhat even when it's all said and done.

I'm willing to bet that boards would be significantly less expensive if the warranty policies on boards were reduced or dropped altogether. Whether that would be worth it or not to consumers is another topic altogether...
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-16-2009, 8:21 AM Reply   
i am happy to pay 700 for a board in 2005 then end up with a new board very year for free because of the warranty,so im on the latsest and greatest until i switch boards or brands ,all for one time fee of $750

That's all fine and dandy till you hit a slider once.
Old     (tom_paz)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-16-2009, 8:37 AM Reply   
^^^here's how to solve this dilema, DONT SLIDE a board that you might/want to warranty. pick up an old slider board on ebay for dirt. problem solved.
Old     (mvl)      Join Date: May 2004       03-16-2009, 9:03 AM Reply   
I remember back to the days of the honeycomb boards...they were expensive. As an enthusiast I drove 1 hour to get the Murray that was baby blue with the VW bug on it. Those were expensive boards too. It is the bindings, however, that have come the furthest and added to the cost I'd say more so. Used to be a highend boot was $200-$300 and the board was 400 or so plus. I remember back to when a pro set up was $700-$800. The DINE, V2 etc. are a bit excessive, but whatever.
Old     (wakeviolater)      Join Date: Sep 2004       03-16-2009, 9:23 AM Reply   
not sure if someone already brought this up, but snowboarding is similar. If you want nice new board, new bindings and new boots...you are looking at around $1000.
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-16-2009, 9:42 AM Reply   
many mention snowboarding as being similar...like wakeboarding, you too can get a great deal at the end of the season. Right now boards, boots and bindings are going for 50-70% off MSRP. A Burton Vapor that was a 1K at the beginning of the season can be had for 500 right now. I always buy gear at the end of the season or in the off season to get better deals. The thing is, the deals are so good I usually spend just as much because I buy more! :-)
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-16-2009, 6:09 PM Reply   
anthem that was me that posted that and i posted here as well..

thing is they are all high end boards ,the platinum boards are lighter and have some snap to them and yes that was my point here,these boards more then likely will break and companies have to price them accordingly..

if not the alternative is not great where they lower the price a little and give a crappy warranty or no warranty at all OR make really heavy indestructable poorly performing boards..

i like it the way it is unless they go overboard with the prices..
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-16-2009, 6:11 PM Reply   
YES
Old     (rhawn)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-16-2009, 7:23 PM Reply   
Boards are a drop in the bucket compared to boat costs.
Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-16-2009, 11:13 PM Reply   
Merak-700 bucks and Murray bindings-400 bucks. 1100 bucks for a set up. good thing that i've got a fat hook up.
Old    justinh            03-17-2009, 7:36 AM Reply   
As of today, all Ronix V2s (all sizes, all models) are sold out and there are very few new V2s still in circulation. The odds of finding one loose anywhere are very low.

There is no doubt that current model, premium core boards are expensive, but there will always be a market for performance.

Basically, the boards are selling. I have a CSV1 now and after riding PVC boards for about a year, moving back would be very tough.
Old     (cpizzle)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-17-2009, 11:55 AM Reply   
I think the prices are fine. If someone wants a nice board on a budget there are pleanty of great deals out there on last years models, esp. if they want to do the footwork to find it. That's their choice.

If someone has the money for the latest and greatest, and has to have it now, then they are probably happy to pay the premium. I think the system is fair and it all works out in the end. The manufacturers and dealers need to make the money when they can. No one's forcing anyone to pay these prices.
Old     (mike2001)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-17-2009, 12:58 PM Reply   
Boards and bindings are priced based on what the consumer is willing to pay.
Old     (coreym)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-17-2009, 2:30 PM Reply   
Take a look at this YouTube clip, this will help explain. Here is a couple boards out of our D.I.N.E. line. All of the D.I.N.E. boards and Byerly boards are made in America. Notice how many hands touch a board before it gets to you, and this is just the production side.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iCF14RpQ4c&feature=channel_page

Corey M @ Hyperlite
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-17-2009, 4:30 PM Reply   
Off topic, but Byerly needs to actually ride his wakeboards and boots if he expects to sell them. Now his wakeskate line I will take seriously.
Old     (kylek306)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-17-2009, 5:12 PM Reply   
schooledrider. check out the vid of rathy on the wakeplace on his assualt. might change your mind.
Old     (wake2wake_66)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-17-2009, 9:13 PM Reply   
Justin Harrelson, who told you that all of the V2's are sold out? Ronix sells direct now at www.ronixstore.com, they have all the boards. My shop has all of them too. I don't think they will be totally sold out everywhere.