Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeskating

Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-31-2008, 8:45 PM Reply   
i have a wooden wakeskate. and it was MESSED up on the bottom. paint was barely there. so i sanded it all down. and i decided the wood looks way better then the paint ever did. so i just want to put a sealer on it. anyone done the same thing as i did?
any suggestions on what to use?

i know i probably shouldn't have sanded it and will most likely get crap for it. but suggestions would be sweet
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-01-2008, 11:10 AM Reply   
clear spar marine varnish.

works great. put on a couple coats. and follow the directions
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-01-2008, 12:26 PM Reply   
thanks alot mitch. i put a liquidforce sticker and a got wake sticker on the bottom. and the color of the wood is really pretty. so i just want to seal it instead of painting it
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-01-2008, 12:33 PM Reply   
cool. the natural look is always a solid choice.

even if you were to paint the board you should always seal it first
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-01-2008, 2:34 PM Reply   
i was going to paint over some stencils with spray paint. then seal the whole thing. but i just decided to leave the wood. ill post pictures when its finished
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-01-2008, 4:49 PM Reply   
seal before you paint.
then use a clear coat polyurethane spray over the paint.

the varnish needs to soak into the wood. and it will distort the color of the paint if you do it over.

the spray stuff will enhance the colors and give it a glossy look while protecting the paint.
Old     (toxis)      Join Date: Jul 2008       11-12-2008, 9:43 PM Reply   
how do these sprays work with rails? I had an LF Anthem and after a month and a half of pretty heavy riding, sliding on flat boxes tore up the bottom sticker. Anything that can protect the graphic on the bottom of the 08 Hampson that will be my skate next year? I love the tree graphic of the 41 and want to keep it but will hit flat boxes pretty frequent.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-12-2008, 10:06 PM Reply   
Toxis, the 08 LF pro models have a clear plastic coat on the bottom that makes it slide better and it protects the graphic.

on normal wood skates nothing is going to keep the graphic on if you are sliding it.

The way oak is doing there graphics now is the way to go. the graphic is in the wood so it cant peel off. http://www.wakeskating.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23064&postdays=0&postorder=asc&hig hlight=oak&start=20
Old     (mikef9844)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-08-2009, 8:22 PM Reply   
I just picked up the 08 LF Hampson and can see the clear coat on the bottom that's supposed to protect the graphic, seems like it will work well. Is there anything else I can do to it to protect it before it hits the water? Should I use some wood sealer? Any suggestions to extend the life of my new wood skate would be great.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-08-2009, 11:27 PM Reply   
dont trip. your deck will be fine. but the grip on the 08 lf concaves comes off on one or two sets. so i recommend regripping it now with some grip from a skateshop. the manufacturer put the grip on terrible and it will bubble and peel off right away when you ride it.
Old     (mikef9844)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-09-2009, 9:49 AM Reply   
Yea I noticed a bubble around the nose when I bought it, but it was right by where one of the holes is for the accessory fins so I just smoothed it out as best as I could. Will it be alright if I take it out a few sets and see how the grip holds up and if it comes off then regrip it?