Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    surfdad            08-22-2008, 5:12 AM Reply   
At Nationals, Ed suggested that this year's challenge be to build a board ONLY using duct tape. We could use the center core of cardboard and the tape, only.

I'm just not feeling that one Ed. So, I'd like to propose something different that would STILL allow you to get sticky and use cardboard.

The holy grail of tricks, for most folks, is the surface 360. I'd like to propose that we use any construction materials we want, but build a board that "almost" guarantees performing a surface 3, or at least makes it relatively easy for anyone.

You can use stupid e.wood or that roll of silver stuff. :-) The board that allows the largest number of non-pro riders to readily spin surface 3's wins. Build thread's here and ride documentation that will also help folks complete a surface 3 also.

In or wimping out? :-)

(Message edited by surfdad on August 22, 2008)
Old    surfdad            08-22-2008, 5:26 AM Reply   
The duct tape and cardboard (is that a cousin of e.wood?) seems viable. High school senior project of cardboard and duct tape boat.

Upload
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-22-2008, 8:34 PM Reply   
I still can't pull a 3. I have no idea what I would build.
Old    surfdad            08-22-2008, 9:29 PM Reply   
Ok fine! Duct tape it is! :-)
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-23-2008, 10:37 AM Reply   
So, then rules about the same as the ultra light boards competition?

1) Materials limited to duct tape and the rolls they are spooled on.

2) Build a board that a ~140 pound person can ride. You can have James ride. I'll ask Robbie to be my rider.

3) The board should survive a five minute ride.

4) Completed by about the end of September.

5) How about fins?

6) How about traction?

What else?
Old    surfdad            08-23-2008, 10:59 AM Reply   
I'm generally in agreement. Can we extend the time frame. We are doing World's and then Surf Expo, so I literally have only one weekend in there. End of October or first snow for YOU - we ALWAYS accomodate YOU because you folks can't do weather correctly. :-)

I have a general idea of how I want to construct mine, but I'd love to be able to use - say maybe 1 oz of glue/epoxy. Nothing structural, just convience. Traction...I don't see that as the weak link, so I'm ok with whatever you want, so long as it doesn't add structural rigidity. EVA foam, or the like.

Fins are part of this mess. So only from the construction materials.