Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 10, 2007

Old     (malibooty)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-24-2007, 3:56 PM Reply   
Does anyone know why the “HELM” (driver’s seat) is located on the STARBOARD side (RIGHT) on every SIDE CONSOLE boat?

I will give store credit, cash rewards and a killer deal on any boat in stock to whomever can answer this question!
Old     (1boarder_kevin)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-24-2007, 4:07 PM Reply   
Here are a few things I would "guess"

1.) On smaller powerboats, putting the helm on the starboard side means the weight of the captain will counteract the torque of the propeller

2.) Putting the helm on the starboard side maximizes visibility in right-of-way situations

3.) On small boats, placing the helm on the starboard side allows the controls to be safely out of the way (most people are right-handed).
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-24-2007, 4:11 PM Reply   
This meant that the right-handed sailors holding the steering oar (which had been broadened to provide better control) used to stand on the right side of the ship. The word starboard comes from Old English steorbord, literally meaning the side on which the ship is steered. The old English term steorbord descends from the Old Norse words stýri meaning “rudder” and borđ meaning “side of a ship”. The modern term "steering wheel" comes from the same language root as "starboard" or "steer board".

Similarly, the term for the left side of the boat, port, is derived from the practice of sailors mooring on the left side (i.e., the larboard or loading side) as to prevent the steering boards from being crushed. Because the words larboard and starboard sounded too similar to be easily distinguished, larboard was changed to port.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-24-2007, 4:13 PM Reply   
The Vikings called the side of their ship its board, and they placed the steering oar, the "star" on the right side of the ship, thus that side became known as the "star board." It's been that way ever since. And, because the oar was in the right side, the ship was tied to the dock at the left side. This was known as the loading side or "larboard". Later, it was decided that "larboard" and "starboard" were too similar, especially when trying to be heard over the roar of a heavy sea, so the phrase became the "side at which you tied up to in port" or the "port" side.
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-24-2007, 4:30 PM Reply   
I will never get starboard and port mixed up again.
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-24-2007, 4:59 PM Reply   
Yeah, but it's still easier to dock on my starboard side...since that's the way it crabs in reverse and that's where the fuel filler is too. (guess the viking's had right hand props...early CC's?)
Old     (bbking)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-24-2007, 5:30 PM Reply   
diggin the quote courtney
Old     (rem_pss308)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-25-2007, 2:17 AM Reply   

The actual origin of the term "port" is speculated to be because the left side of old merchant sailing ships had a loading or entry port. The right side had a steering board that hung over the side of the ship (before the invention of rudders) which is where the term starboard comes from. So if the steering board hung over the right side, the boat would need to dock on its left side, or put into port on its left side.

(Message edited by rem_pss308 on August 25, 2007)
Old     (rem_pss308)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-25-2007, 2:22 AM Reply   
Helm: The Helm is the steering mechanism of the boat (wheel or tiller). The person at the helm is called the helmsman
Old     (trippin132)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-29-2007, 8:57 PM Reply   
simple, so it makes things easy for us aussies, we drive a car from the right so it makes sense you do the same in a boat ;)
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-30-2007, 8:39 AM Reply   
Gotta love wikipedia

Nick, me neither.
Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-30-2007, 8:47 AM Reply   
"Does anyone know why the “HELM” (driver’s seat) is located on the STARBOARD side (RIGHT) on every SIDE CONSOLE boat? "

It's not. The Helm is not the seat, it is the control mechanism(s). Right side controls are very common now, but in years past a majority of the performance jets and V Drives of the day were configured with the helms on the port side of the vessel.
Old     (1boarder_kevin)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-30-2007, 1:21 PM Reply   
What is your answer Courtney?
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       08-30-2007, 2:12 PM Reply   
I thought I was smart buy knowing which is which. Port has four letters so does left. That's how I remember.
Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-30-2007, 2:14 PM Reply   
Quite possibly the most lame attempt at generating sales leads I've seen in some time. Things must be quite over at UWS.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-30-2007, 2:17 PM Reply   
I may be wrong, but I think diversity is an old, old wooden ship, from the civil war era.
Old     (cgilly)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-07-2007, 5:50 AM Reply   
Courtney, The helm is on the right because other boaters approaching on your right have the "right of way". This gives you and unobstructed view on that side of your vessel. Boat manufacturers started this to accommodate the rules of the road, although it is not required that they build this way.
Old     (fuller313)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-07-2007, 8:07 AM Reply   
You learn something new everyday.