Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 17, 2007

Old     (pureblue)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-28-2007, 10:14 AM Reply   
I was just reading about blowing knees out. I was wondering if there is any kind of exercise or stretch that can prevent this? I have gained a bit of weight in the last couple years, and I am worried this summer that the extra weight may stress my knees more. Anyone know anything on this?
Old     (super_air)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-28-2007, 10:27 AM Reply   
A good leg work out should keep them nice and strong but won't prevent it from happening 100%. One thing that people forget is to work the hamstrings, this is straight from my Orthopedist, most ACL tears result from weak hams. A good stretch for these is to ly on the floor near the wall on your back with your legs going up the wall.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-28-2007, 10:27 AM Reply   
stretch your quads, hams, calves, and glutes. All of those muscles work together to help stabilize the knee. There are also a handful of much smaller muscle groups that work to stabilize the knee as well. You can strengthen those by doing things like lunges, one-legged unweighted squats, wall sits, wall squats with a ball. Working the large muscle groups will also help, squats, calf-raises, etc. Also getting on a balance trainer like an Indo board will help too. One way to test the stability of your knee and ankle stabilizer muscles is stand on one foot, and close your eyes. If you can do that with your eyes closed for a minute, you're pretty good.

Riding a stationary bike, stair stepper, or doing an elliptical machine will also help.

In Delta Sessions 2, it shows Mike Schwenne doing squat like things while standing on one of those big work out balls. That would exude some serious balance and strong stabilizer muscles.

google proprioception.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-28-2007, 10:38 AM Reply   
Stance has alot to do with it too. I saw a few injuries snowboarding and most of the time the guys landed an air straight-legged.

Keep that knee bent athletic stance when landing, Your knees will bend instead of buckling to the sides.

Strong legs and flexibility are still the big keys though.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       03-28-2007, 11:26 AM Reply   
An orthopedic surgeon friend of my family told me that the only to prevent a knee injury is to not wakeboard, snowboard, ski, etc. To a certain extent I believe him. The knee is a very poorly designed joint.
Old     (wakecis)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-28-2007, 11:37 AM Reply   
what's that thing called? we used to land on it all the time back in the day....oh yeah...the 2nd wake.
Old     (board2death)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-28-2007, 11:42 AM Reply   
While there is no way to "prevent" a knee injury, there is plenty you can do to lessen the chances. Increased leg strength and flexibility will do wonders. Ride a bike or some other type of low impact exercise and do yoga or pilates for example.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-28-2007, 12:11 PM Reply   
Yeah I've been meeting with a trainer this last week trying to refine my workouts to help my knees. Essentially it comes down to working the small stabilizer muscles and training them to fire and keep it all together. My knees were flying all around and in a week of concentrated focus on using my hams and ass the knee is already a lot more stable. Anytime I stand while lifting any weights I do it on the balance bubble disks, my balance and stabilizing muscles have gotten so much better!
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       03-28-2007, 12:26 PM Reply   
hahahahahahahaahhaahahaah

charles that funny as hell.
Old     (board2death)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-28-2007, 12:49 PM Reply   
landing on the second wake is sooo 90's

Now maybe the solution is to put a foil on the wakeboard- increased pop with softer landings.....
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-28-2007, 2:08 PM Reply   
Andy - you're a funny cat. The only way to prevent getting killed in a car accident, is to not get in a car.

Big Heavy - that would help a ton. I'm gonna start doing that.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       03-28-2007, 2:12 PM Reply   
Thane--

my point exactly
Old     (pogi)      Join Date: May 2006       03-28-2007, 2:48 PM Reply   
While we are on the subject of knee injuries. . . I'm curious, do most knee injuries come from repetitive abuse(i.e. many landings from big jumps day after day) and your knees get worn down, or one bad landing(i.e. you land straight legged and hyper-extend your knee).
Old     (super_air)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-28-2007, 2:52 PM Reply   
I would say both of those reasons. If you talk to anybody that works on their knees for a living they will tell you that they are shot just from years of being on them, a good example is a catcher in major league baseball or tile setters.
Old     (mattr)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-28-2007, 3:08 PM Reply   
The problem is mainly lack of strength (glutes, hams quad, low back). Jumping impact is about 4 times bodyweight 150lb athlete the force equals about 600lbs. Think about the impact the muscles have to overcome from 10 to 15 feet in the air, this requires tons of eccentric strength to decelerate upon landing. Squating, lunges, deadlifts, deceleration drops, plyos(weighted and non weighted) along with strengthening the stabilizers like Big Heavy mentioned.
Although before you add balance discs you should be able to control your body on a flat stable surface before you progress. Gotta get back to work, finish up more later.
Old     (jhgsupra)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-29-2007, 3:22 AM Reply   
Thane Dogg,

I tried the balancing on one foot trick with my eyes closed. That's difficult. I got much better at it after several attempts however you can feel it work and burn the muscles in the lower leg/shin area. Gettin' close to a minute. This has gotta help for those jumps when I close my eyes!
Old     (pureblue)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-29-2007, 7:11 AM Reply   
Ya, I heard the balancing on one foot is great for ankle strength too. I have had problems with rolling my ankles in other sports. When I tried that exercise a week or two after I hurt one ankle, it was almost impossible for me to do. My ankle was just shaking, I couldnt believe how hard it worked it out.