Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old                07-29-2004, 12:21 AM Reply   
I made some fan shrowds that fit around my amps. I hooked them up to the power on lead and negative lead on each amps so they only turn on when the amp turns on but now I'm getting an annoying hum from the fans. I cut the wires and the interferance stopped. Have any of you had this problem? What did you do to fix it?
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-29-2004, 5:55 AM Reply   
Try grounding the fans to the vehicle. Not to the amps. That should take care of it.
Old                07-29-2004, 10:58 AM Reply   
I'll try that thanks for the help Jeremy!!!
Old                07-29-2004, 11:00 AM Reply   
Hey Jeremy
I have another question. I have grounded my entire system to the battery because I have no metal to ground to, is this a bad thing to do?
Old     (michale)      Join Date: May 2004       07-29-2004, 11:43 AM Reply   
thats the best/only thing
Old                07-29-2004, 12:04 PM Reply   
That's what I thought but I thought I'd make sure. I'm not much of an electrician! Thanks for your help guys!!!
Old     (trash)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-29-2004, 2:24 PM Reply   
Are you using brushed fans? If so, those are a major cause of noise. Find 12 volt brushless DC fans. They should be easy to find at any major electronics place

Trash
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-29-2004, 6:51 PM Reply   
Michale and Trash are right on. You always want a central grounding point.

Trash, what's up with this--Male. Wait........................yeah, male.
Old                07-30-2004, 12:32 AM Reply   
Well if I'm grounding to the vehicle and the amps are ground to the vehicle doesn't that mean no matter what I'm grounding to the vehicle? Trash they are brushless. What does that mean Jeremy - Male wait...........yeah male?

(Message edited by dliguori on July 30, 2004)
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-30-2004, 4:46 AM Reply   
Grounding is important. Ecspecially when you have noise in the system. Let's see....how can i explain this...... If your getting water from a stream, and cows piss in that stream. Doesn't it matter what part of the stream you get your water from?

I was just asking TRASH what's up with the male thing. It's in his profile and i thought it was pretty funny.

Did you change the ground?
Old     (trash)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-30-2004, 7:20 AM Reply   
Grounding is important anywhere there is electronics, as that can be one of the (many) noise sources in a piece of equipment. In an ideal world, every piece of electronics in a box(car, boat, home stereo)should have their power lead and ground lead come directly from the power source, without anything else attached to it. (Technical mumbo jumbo) Ground noise occurs when there are multiple currents flowing through the return wire back to the power source. Since each current is not static (i.e pure DC) because the load demand changes over time, you can get what's called Ground Bouncing where the voltage measured from the power source ground to the ground terminal on your electronic piece is never 0 volts (bounces around). This noise can show up in amplifier outputs as a buzz, or at it's very worst, can reset/hang up your electronics. (/Technical mumbo-jumbo)

Always Always Always run stereo amps, stereo's, cd changer grounds back directly to the -ve post of the battery. This is where the source of power comes from--->this is where it needs to return. No roundabout paths (i.e attach to the block or something silly like that)

And for god's sake, fuse your + line right at the battery!!! (just incase you haven't done that)

Trash

P.S Jeremy... Just making sure is all
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       07-30-2004, 7:42 AM Reply   
So, does anyone know if they sell relays for this specific purpose, i.e. so that equipment (fans) can be turned on and off by other equipment (amps). I'm thinking of a simple box with wire clamps just like a power distribution block or something.

I can only find the modular ones that plug into specific sockets. I'm sure you could work with those but you'd have to build your own sort of mounting plate for them.
Old                07-30-2004, 9:41 AM Reply   
Jermey, Trash, Thanks for all the help I really, really appriciate it! I think the problem was that the groung wire wasn't making good enough contact. I ran the ground back to the battery and it was still making noise...I cut the wire back a bit, stripped it and reconnected it to the neg terminal and the noise is gone. Once again I really appriciate the help, I was ready to take the shroud out but it's working like a champ now! Thanks! DTL
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-30-2004, 3:41 PM Reply   
Trash, That's understandable. I have to check from time to time also.....after some big crashes. Sometimes i'm scared to look!