Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 16, 2009

Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-04-2009, 12:32 PM Reply   
can i use pc 11 epoxy on my board,

we went winching today. and after i was done and about to unstrap i hit a rock with the edge of my board, and now the core is exposed.
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-04-2009, 12:35 PM Reply   
its only about an inch long on the heelside edge, and is only open maybe a little less then 1/8" of an inch
Old     (all_board_rider)      Join Date: May 2009       10-04-2009, 9:32 PM Reply   
buy a CWB!
Old     (kyle_m)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-04-2009, 9:45 PM Reply   
i second the C-Dub
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-04-2009, 10:30 PM Reply   
^^wait... what?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-04-2009, 10:34 PM Reply   
are you guys saying if i hit a rock while riding a cwb, it won't break?
Old     (kyle_m)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-04-2009, 10:37 PM Reply   
im joking about what i said i have seen more CWB boards broken then anything lol but thats just me, anyways david that should work fine. When i fixed the gouge in my Ronix i used fiberglass resin since im at a fiberglass shop all day and it worked like a champ.
Old     (all_board_rider)      Join Date: May 2009       10-04-2009, 10:56 PM Reply   
Ha Joe, I guess ill break down what I meant... If you hit a rock with a cwb... It won't get a gouge in it.... It will prolly straight up snap! Then you can warranty it ha ha. Jk
David, what I've seen done is get a mini torch and a stick of hard plastic, melt the hard plastic le it drip into the gouge to fill it, then let it set the sand it smooth.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       10-04-2009, 11:11 PM Reply   
David, take your board in to Austin to see what he says. It's hard to see exactly what the damage is, and it might require something more than a little epoxy.
Old    justinh            10-05-2009, 6:33 AM Reply   
I have repaired boards with about everything. PC 11 was no good. It is too thick to fill the edges well takes forever to dry if it is not exposed well to air.

It is hard to beat the 15-20minute two-part clear epoxy for edges. Mix it up and crack open the edge as wide as you can. Poor in the epoxy heavy and use masking tape rolled over the edge (perpendicular) as tight as you can to squeeze the edge back down. wipe away the excess that squirts out and sand the edges after you remove the tape when it is dry.
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-05-2009, 7:04 AM Reply   
ill try and get a pic up. its not very big at all though.
and was pc 11 really no good? i dont need my board for 2 weeks. so dry time is not important to me
Old    dperizzolo            10-05-2009, 12:48 PM Reply   
you can use any marine epoxy on it generally. just take your time and wet sand it down to get that nice finish. was this on your lyman?
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-05-2009, 2:09 PM Reply   
okay cool. and it was on my lyman we ride in the SF bay, and we walk out 600 feet on a sandy beach. and the start is only 2 feet deep. and where you end is only about 4 feet deep. and when i dropped off at the end i just rode til the board sank, and it hit a chunk of concrete or a rock or something and split the edge open
Old     (ajcsurf)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-05-2009, 10:42 PM Reply   
PC11 - marine grade epoxy - is the only thing that I have used to repair 3+ boards. Prep it, epoxy it, let it set (not that long I don't know what you guys are talking about with the long set time), then wet sand it with emery cloth...

Buy the tube with a gray and black cap on either ends.
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-06-2009, 7:18 AM Reply   
thanks AJ we already have a tube downstairs, we bought it a few months ago and its still good. ill just do that.
Old     (txwakerider)      Join Date: Oct 2008       10-06-2009, 7:55 AM Reply   
Gabe Lucas thrashes his CWB all over rocks and other hazardous object all day everyday.
Old     (lil_braswell)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-06-2009, 8:57 AM Reply   
Kent Two Part Expoxy also works well and sets quicker if you want to mold it. Best of luck
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       10-06-2009, 9:41 AM Reply   
my crew has always used Loctite Marine Epoxy on our boards for chips or anything. Its a light grey color, but its the two part epoxy. it works really well. I think it takes a little less than an hour to set but does the job like a champ. after its on you can wipe away what you don't need then when it dries you can easily sand it down to smooth it out. You can probably even paint it after that to match the board. I've put it on my 08 Murray on the edge and a buddy of mine fixed a couple of chips in the edge of his Marek at the beginning of this year and its worked great and held strong. no problems at all.
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-06-2009, 12:04 PM Reply   
my lyman is dark grey/black. so the pc 11 shouldnt even be noticable. thanks for all the info guys. im going to give it another day to make sure its 100% dry inside, then ill do it