Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 03, 2009

Old     (mracrew)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-29-2009, 9:44 PM Reply   
Well I finally got out to ride in central illinois and probably couldn't of picked a worst day to start the season windy, low 40s and pouring rain but the lake was 64 due to the power plant. I only got 4 passes before i dislocated my shoulder but it was enough to get a feel and know what this setup was about.

I have ridden the ps3 the past two years and this is a great board to step up to. It is much more advanced than the ps3 and will be a great board to move up to. The s4 makes the ps3 feel very slow but at the same time I appreciate the edge technique i have built up while ridding the ps3 and find that tricks feel more effortless on the s4 and really will bring a new energy to my ridding. My favorite thing over the ps3 is that the thing gets on edge in a lot shorter of an arc and you can crank on it right away without the thing slipping out. Landings are much softer, it has a center spine that goes from tip to tail in addition to the stand dual spines the ps3 has and the flat spot not near as pronounced as the ps3 is which i really think contributes to the softer landings. As far as how loose the board goes i have the grind base which they tone down the fins size and the thing is about the ps3 was finless so i was very happy with that. As far as pop goes this thing is a booter. This thing has an awesome straight up pop and my buddy who rides the watson commented that the thing has more pop then the watson.

My overall impression of the board is this is not one for a beginner and that if you do not have good technique i recommend a season or 2 on the ps3 which i feel is an awesome board to take you from intermediate to advance. My ridding did plateau last year on the ps3 but i feel the s4 will help me break that and it tends to be a trend when i switch shapes i usually have a very progressive season.

Now the limited vantage are pretty much a dream come true. I had last years vantages and what i disliked about those was they were fairly heavy and did have a closed toe option. Obviously they fixed those two things and this binding rocks. It is extremely light and really balances out the extra weight the grind series has. The setup is the same weight as my 133 ps3 with ronix ones. Now these boots are quite a bit stiffer then the original vantages which i do not mind a bit as i prefer a more supportive boot. To be honest when i first tried the boots on i did not get that awesome impression i did with the original vantages. I felt that i could not get them tight enough and felt some heel lift. Well the bindings have molded to my feet and the leather has loosened up a bit and these bindings blow last years away. The air bag base provides for nice cooshy landings and just looks awesome. The toes feel much tighter then my ronix ones and really makes for a more efficient heelside cut and overall improved leverage.

The setup paired together is just awesome and I truly feel there is not a setup on the market that I would be happier with. The lightness of the binding really provides a setup that is fairly light and at the same time extremely durable providing a best of both worlds scenario.
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       03-30-2009, 9:31 AM Reply   
Thanks for the review, I've only heard good things about the S4. Sorry about your shoulder...doesn't sound like a promising start to the season.
Old     (lakemiltonwake08)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-30-2009, 10:18 AM Reply   
Nice to hear that they beefed up the Vantages a bit, I rode them last year and they are ankle busters for sure.
Old     (mathias)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-30-2009, 10:23 AM Reply   
Really appreciate your review. This is what the magazines should have, people who actually test the products, instead of their crappy board buyers guides that tell you nothing more than what the manufactures tell you and you can find just as well in any descent online store.
Old     (lakemiltonwake08)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-30-2009, 10:30 AM Reply   
Board companies aren't going to send magazines their entire inventory, $15,000+ worth of stuff to demo. That's your local board shop's job to let you demo a board, otherwise it's just money down the drain to them.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-30-2009, 10:32 AM Reply   
Mathias, agreed!!!!!!
Old     (mathias)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-30-2009, 10:47 AM Reply   
Although I would still prefer quality before quantity and also, is it so hard for the magazine itself to go down to their local board shop then?
Old     (snowman89)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-30-2009, 10:48 AM Reply   
Maybe someone should start a thread where everyone reviews their board and bindings like this. Just have everyone start off with there riding experience and skills and then review the boards they've ridden and either loved or hated.
Old     (gunnertom4593)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-30-2009, 10:57 AM Reply   
I'm with Darren, in fact I think there should be an entire board, binding, boat, and accessory review section on the main page.
Old     (snowman89)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-30-2009, 11:00 AM Reply   
Haha it may have sounded like I was being sarcastic but I completely forgot that existed.
Old     (gunnertom4593)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-30-2009, 11:04 AM Reply   
I'm not being sarcastic either haha, there isn't a review section, its discussion where so much more than just products reviews are. I'm saying there should be a section for just reviews, no general discussion.
Old    K.B.C.            03-30-2009, 11:16 AM Reply   
yes there is, scroll to the bottom. it's there, it's just that nobody actually uses it.

http://www.wakeworld.com/boardguide/getboard10.asp?ProductID=4679
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-30-2009, 11:21 AM Reply   
everyone should use the boardguide reviews and post a review, BUT i think you should have at least 5 sets on a board or boot to review though. One set reviews and choppy water reviews dont help as much because you dont really know the product
Old     (gunnertom4593)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-30-2009, 11:24 AM Reply   
Oh that's right! I completely forgot about it, well that bit should be in the discussion part, not in the buyer's guide. Might be used more....
Old     (mracrew)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-30-2009, 1:08 PM Reply   
Here is a picture of the setup definitely one of those graphics where a picture doesn't do it justice because there are so many tiny details on it that make it great. The black is matte like the original watson graphic and the s4 badge is metal.

Upload

The dislocated shoulder was definitely a bummer especially since it was on a hs 3 that I landed but I was ridding like i didn't have any rust from the 6 months off so I am super happy about that and its not that big of a deal if i take a month off to rehab it so come May when i get out of school I can ride everyday without problems.
Old     (waketherainbow)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-30-2009, 1:11 PM Reply   
very sick looking set up