Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 03, 2009

Old     (freerider22)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-16-2009, 5:13 PM Reply   
Was out riding for the first time in about 6 months and dislocated my shoulder again. I did it last july and did physical theorpy to a point. I think I didnt put as much effort into it as I should have. Just wondering if anyone has done the same thing and what they have done about it? Surgery or just rehab the crap out of it?? I dont know what to do! Any suggestions would be much appreciated
Old     (lakemiltonwake08)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-16-2009, 5:21 PM Reply   
I've never injured my Shoulder, But injuries are annoying. I sprained my ankle 2 months ago and I'm still not even close to 100 percent again. Hope your shoulder heals soon, keep with that physical therapy.

(Message edited by lakemiltonwake08 on March 16, 2009)
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-16-2009, 5:24 PM Reply   
That sucks bro. I popped mine 6 times, 5 times in one year, before I had surgery and it hasn't popped once since I had the op about 6 years ago.

I'd say meet with a surgeon and see if surgery is right for you.
Old     (ross009)      Join Date: Jun 2008       03-16-2009, 5:34 PM Reply   
hey man that sucks i did mine last year had 8 weeks out then had another partial dislocation a few weeks later ive been working out trying to strengthen it up but i wont ride for another few weeks yet so only time will tell. ive done quite a lot of research and it seems surgery does pretty much cure it i just cant afford to have the time off work :-(. just make sure you rest it good man!!!
Old     (ross009)      Join Date: Jun 2008       03-16-2009, 5:35 PM Reply   
p.s what re-hab did you do? how long did you immobilise it for after the dislocation? jos how long was your recovery after surgery?
Old     (wakeboardlf25)      Join Date: May 2007       03-16-2009, 5:41 PM Reply   
i had dislocated my shoulder 4-5 times last year and 2 times the year before that. i finally decided to go to doc and he recommended surgery and said it was only about a 98% chance it would dislocate again after surgery. Ive been rehabing since nov. and will finally start riding this weekend
Old     (oaboards)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-16-2009, 5:56 PM Reply   
hey! Yeah i had around 9 dislocations last year from wake, basketball, and darts... stupid darts! I had the surgery and have had no problem since then. when i ride now i always try to bring my arms as close to my chest or side when i know im going to crash. Good luck man and hope all goes well
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-16-2009, 6:04 PM Reply   
Mikey,

Sorry to hear that. I hate to say it, but you have to get the surgery. I dislocated mine 3 times in less than a year or so, and had the surgery almost 10 years ago and have never done it since.
Old     (freerider22)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-16-2009, 6:07 PM Reply   
Wow thanks guys! I cant believe some of you have dislocated your shoulders so much! Ross I immobilised it for about 2 weeks. I talked with physical theoropist and she gave me a buch of stuff to do for it. How long is the recovery after surgery?
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-16-2009, 6:27 PM Reply   
the more times you dislocate, the more likely you will need surgery because the tendons and ligaments stretch. try to rehab first. see a GOOD doctor asap
Old     (freerider22)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-16-2009, 6:45 PM Reply   
Hey Travis! Yeah everyone I talk to says get the surgery. Thats what ill probably end up doing. Sucks! Another year without the Pro Tour :-(
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-16-2009, 6:53 PM Reply   
My rehab never really happened, I stopped doing everything basically. 5 years later I started surfing again, I've been wakeboarding for a few years now as well. I can support my full weight from one arm no problem, but the joint still locks up occasionally and I still get pain now and then. I was in a sling for about 8 weeks, and I had really bad atrophy through my chest, back, shoulder and arm on my right side. My right arm was about half the size of my left after getting out of the sling, nothing but skin and bone. It took a full year to gain that muscle back but as I said I wasn't really doing anything, just got quite down about it since I can't really go back to playing Rugby or Aussie Rules, it's not fun any more... I have been doing a lot of exercise with it lately though, mostly chin ups and dips, and it is getting stronger all the time. I have absolutely no worries about it when I'm riding behind the boat.

Don't over do your rehab if you decide to get surgery, you will just hurt yourself again. Listen to your doctor, do your exercises, I didn't and my recovery took far longer than it might have. I regret that still...

Most importantly stay positive, the better your attitude the faster your recovery I think.

(Message edited by jtnz on March 16, 2009)
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-16-2009, 7:01 PM Reply   
Mikey, I recommend the surgery I know that sucks but without it this will keep reacurring, after it pops out a couple of times it just keeps getting worse. Mine was coming out 4-5 time a year for a couple of years, got the surgery 20 years ago and it never happened again. Good luck, it's a painful injury.
Old     (freerider22)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-16-2009, 7:11 PM Reply   
How long after surgery can I start rehab?
Old     (ross009)      Join Date: Jun 2008       03-16-2009, 7:15 PM Reply   
how long were people who've had the surgery out of work etc for they can to do it through key hole surgery now which must be a quicker recovery?
Old     (moombakidadg)      Join Date: May 2008       03-16-2009, 7:19 PM Reply   
just had the surgery on feb 3rd...thought I had a torn labrum and it turned out to be 4 torn ligaments....good luck, im a nurse so if theres anything you need let me know
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-16-2009, 7:20 PM Reply   
I had keyhole, back to work pumping gas (with my good arm obviously) after a week. Started rehab that week too, just very light exercises, first set was hang your arm down straight and do very small circles both ways gradually getting bigger over time. A few weeks after that moved up to power bands (the lightest ones) tied to a door frame and doing various exercises against them.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-16-2009, 7:20 PM Reply   
Dislocated mine in Dec. snowboarding...still only 75%. I elected not to do surgery and was told surgery would mean a solid 6 month recovery.
Old     (moombakidadg)      Join Date: May 2008       03-16-2009, 7:21 PM Reply   
ps i took a month off b/c im in the Army, however you'd prolly be able to get back to work in 2 wks, with a sling/immobilizer that is (i had to wear it for 6 weeks)
Old     (freerider22)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-16-2009, 8:26 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the information guys!
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-16-2009, 9:03 PM Reply   
Mike, you start rehab really soon after surgery. As soon as a week. As long as the Doc sees that there is no infection and everything is all good he will start you on therapy. It is obviously very minimal at first but even that minimal therapy makes a difference. You definitely need surgery though dude. The tear isn't going to fix itself.
Old     (morty)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-16-2009, 11:54 PM Reply   
I would say get it checked out by a doctor pretty soon. I had too many dislocations to count, I just let it go on for a long time and finally when it would dislocate in my sleep i had surgery. I waited so long that not a single ligament was attached in my shoulder and I tore a bunch of cartilidge. Surgery was in January and I still have several months of rehab and probably won't ride until fall.
Old     (bmr82)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-17-2009, 2:47 AM Reply   
I have had this problem for almost 10 years. The doctor just kept telling me to do physical therapy but it never worked really. It sucks when it happens but I am so used to it now I know what to do to get it back in quick. It does suck though with a board strapped to your feet. My wife wants another kid so when I finally give in is when I will have the surgery I think. I life weights 6 days a week and the shoulder is still loose as a goose. It has popped out so many times that the "0" thing that holds it in socket is completely gone on the front half. I would get the surgery if I were you.
Old     (rhys84)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-17-2009, 4:02 AM Reply   
Dude i missed three seasons cos i kept dislocating my shoulder every year (at the beginning of the season)which meant 6 weeks out each time!! i have surgery january 08 and it feels stronger than ever now, when i had it i wasn't confident enough to board until august (so 8 months out) but now im white water kayakin and rock climbing and back on the board as well just cant wait to get my first full season nailed for about 5 years! Good Luck with whichever you do man, i still cringe when people talk about dislocated shoulders (and feel it)! take it easy!
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-17-2009, 5:43 AM Reply   
i dont know where you live sooo. go to www.frequencyspecific.com . on the home page watch the video as to what it does. terrel owens used it a few years ago when they operated on his leg before the superbowl. it will cut rehab time in half. i have one,i use it on numerous pro athletes. any questions let me know. lance armstrong uses it, many NFL players own one
Old     (wakelatx)      Join Date: Jun 2008       03-17-2009, 6:09 AM Reply   
PROLOTHERAPY
It's the best solution for any ligament related problems. What happens is after we injure ourselves we all tend to reach for advil, which kills inflamation and reduces pain. What they don't tell you is that inflamation is what helps our ligaments heal.
Prolotherapy is a shot that is injected on the affected ligaments, that stimulates inflamation, yes it makes you really sore in that area, but once you heal the ligament is tighter, thus reducing the probability of redislocating your shoulder.
You want to stay away from sodas and sugar in general during recovery as well as processed foods, as these things will slow/hinder recovery.
Prolotherapy can also help prevent blowing out a knee.

I dislocated my shoulders probably 15-20 times between the both of them, from the age of 15-21. Then a year and a half ago I found out about prolotherapy, and my shoulders have almost healed to 100%, because if your ligaments are in bad shape it takes a few rounds to get everything better I have had about 6 sessions. About 6 months ago I landed hard in the flats and felt like hyperextended my knee a little, but I hadn't torn anything so I couldn't get surgery, so I asked my doctor if it was possible to do some prolotherapy on those ligaments, he said for sure. Now my knee feels better than ever.

Anyways go look it up and find a qualified doctor in your area, and determine whether you want to do it. Personally it's worked great.
Old     (jhilltn)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-17-2009, 6:22 AM Reply   
mikey, hate to hear that man. what were you working on when it happened?
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-17-2009, 6:26 AM Reply   
prolotherapy is another great option. my MD friend in nyc does it. you need to find a very talented doctor that knows how to do it properly.
Old     (hamishlowe)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-17-2009, 8:00 AM Reply   
Hey mikey, surgery is probably the way it can be stabilized for you, i'm about to go have the surgery in 10 days from it dislocating, and getting worse all the time, plus it started to get harder to put back in. i'm having open surgery on my shoulder and am told it is more successful and stable at holding than arthroscopic surgery! good luck with it!
Old     (mikebu)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-17-2009, 8:51 AM Reply   
I'm another guy who needed surgery on both shoulders. Each shoulder would pop out at least once a month for years. Post surgery no dislocations. That prolotherapy wouldn't have worked in my case because I hard torn ligaments. For my last operation I think I was back playing ice hockey in 11 weeks.
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-17-2009, 11:43 AM Reply   
with or without surgery www.frequencyspecific.com is the way to help. of course it cannot put tissue back where it is not...in case of a tear like above surgery is the only way. in that case the micro current would help cut the rehab time in half. I know a dr who uses it on breast implant patients right after surgery. they have no bruising, pain, or any troubles after... she was covered on FOX TV
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-17-2009, 1:24 PM Reply   
Mikey, the other reason you need to get surgery and get this thing fixed is because you kill it too hard on a wakeboard to let some of these tricks go down without you in the mix. You are one of the best spinners in the game and I think would be one of the top contenders for the w2w 1080 club, you just have to be healthy!! It will suck and cost some cash but do it for your fans!!! HAHAHA JK Do it for yourself man. With shoulders if you rehab them right you will come back stronger than ever.
Old     (freerider22)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-17-2009, 9:15 PM Reply   
Wow im going to look into that stuff for sure! Thanks for the info. I wasnt working on anything when I dislocated it. It was my first time behind the boat in 6 months and I was just taking it easy. Thanks Kyle I really appriciate that man. I was coming pretty close to w2w 10's a while back. When im healthy Ill get it. Im planning on being back on the board in september If I end up doing the surgery, which ill most likely end up doing. Thanks again guys I really appreciate it!
Old     (wakeitnofakeit)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-17-2009, 9:33 PM Reply   
Mikey, sorry to hear about your injury. You are a great rider, but more importantly a great person. No injury can take that from you. Get well soon.
Old     (mikebu)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-18-2009, 3:29 PM Reply   
While I did have surgery to fix my shoulders I did wait for 5 years on each shoulder. After the initial pop-out I could pop it back in myself and just have some minimal soreness for a day or two. It got to the point at the end it would pop out playing hockey and I could put it back in and keep playing without leaving the ice.

One option for you may be to wait until after the season for the surgery. They also have shoulder braces which limit your range of motion in the shoulder. You will find that there are certain positions where you will pop out immediately like moving your arm up and back.

If you just have a torn ligament I don't think you will do any permanent damage if you wait for surgery.

A good orthopedist will not be in a hurry to operate on you unless absolutely necessary and should have no problem discussing all your options.
Old     (vlxwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2008       03-18-2009, 3:54 PM Reply   
Mikey I figured you would be getting close on those wake to wake 10's. You can spin like a top making it look effortless. You should talk to your boy Lyman. I think he dislocated his shoulder on a Mobydick and judging by the way he throws them I'm sure it was pretty serious. I know he takes physical therapy extremely serious.

Hope to see you back out on the water soon.
Old     (freerider22)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-19-2009, 3:13 PM Reply   
Im starting rehab on monday. Im going to try this before I do surgery. I cant go another year not riding the tour. If it comes out again then Ill do surgery Thanks agian for all the info you guys gave me! I really appreciate it!
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-19-2009, 3:40 PM Reply   
Brad Smeele has been struggling with the same problem, let me know if you want his email addy
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-19-2009, 5:08 PM Reply   
Shoulder braces generally don't work... apart from maybe keeping the joint warm. The joint just has too much range of movement to restrict it enough with neoprene. If you feel like you need to restrict your range of movement go with strapping tape, but you will probably struggle to touch the top of your head if it is done right, so maybe it's not so beneficial for a wakeboarder.

Basically if the strapping is done correctly it will prevent you from putting your arm/shoulder into a position where it will pop out. The stop position is probably the most dangerous one, at least for me it was (Anterior dislocations.) Imagine a cop directing traffic and you get the picture.

(Message edited by jtnz on March 19, 2009)
Old     (mikebu)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-19-2009, 7:53 PM Reply   
I was referring to a shoulder brace like this:

http://www.dme-direct.com/dilocated-shoulder-brace-breg-stabilizer/
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-19-2009, 8:16 PM Reply   
Wow that's different. I've never seen one like that before. Seems like it would make handle passes tricky, but no worse than the tape probably.