Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 17, 2004

Old    houstonperson            12-30-2003, 1:54 PM Reply   
I do believe I am buying a new Malibu Wakesetter (with wedge nightmares and all). Seems like the "dealers" always "push" what they want to, and not necessarily the best or best value. I believe I can get the "Extreme", "BoatMate", and "Dorsey" which is what the dealer pushes. Any advice that any of you have would be appreaciated, options, things to look out for etc. I really want to focus on quality, very low maintanence, smooth ride, and style. It will be fresh water use only.
Old    swass            12-30-2003, 2:05 PM Reply   
I really like my Extreme, but I don't have any experience with the other two, so I can't give you a meaningful comparison.

I'd go with a tandem, whatever you decide.
Old    maverick_gear            12-30-2003, 2:41 PM Reply   
My friends all have Ryans under theyre malibus, i like those, i just got a new VM under my enzo and it is a very nice trailer, most VMs aren't that nice usually, just make sure to get a tandem with tandem brakes and radial tires
Old     (switch)      Join Date: Oct 2003       12-30-2003, 3:12 PM Reply   
Mario, Glad to see you got a boat . Why didn't you get a Ryan Trailer with your new boat?

Houston, If you are buying a boat in the northwest do buy the Ryan IMO it's the best, hands down. No one can come close to their quality. If you are buying it somewhere else the extreme trailer look like they are good as well. But for the money go with Ryan. Their phone number is 503-692-3294. They have all the paterns for all of the malibu boats, and they do sell to the public, they don't do it if they sell to the same dealer who you are buying from. But if you are out of state and they don't sell to that dealer they would sell it to you.

Old    goldmember            12-30-2003, 3:26 PM Reply   
I have an SMP under my 23 Wakesetter. Definitely go tandem with brakes and maybe a spare mount if you are going to tow a lot. If you are going to store in your garage, get the swing away tongue. Other than that it comes down to looks. How good do you think you need to look getting there? I look at the trailer purely from the standpoint of how safely and conveniently it gets the boat there. Other than that it is not a factor to me. There is a recent thread about trailers on the malibu boat owners site that shows lots of options and extra shiny stuff if you are interested. Congrats on your decision to get a Malibu.
Old    matt_dettman            12-30-2003, 4:01 PM Reply   
Extreme! Hands down! Go to their facility and meet with Eddie or Tom and judge for yourself.
Absolutely top shelf.

www.extremetrailers.com

If I sound like an Extreme trailer fan, I am guilty as charged. I have been using Extreme exclusively for my Tige's for nine years now with incredible service.

However, I have used no less than five other manufacturers over the years for my Stingrays and JC Tritoons with nothing but headaches.

The drive to Riverside California is well worth it.
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       12-31-2003, 7:31 AM Reply   
I've worked with tons of different types of trailers at my dealership with winterizing and service and all. I think the best and easiest to use by far is Boatmate. I've never had a problem with them.
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       12-31-2003, 8:32 AM Reply   
I have a RoadRunner Trailer. I would guess not to many people have those. They are made right down the street from me.
Old    diyguy            12-31-2003, 9:35 AM Reply   
My vote goes to Trailer by Dorsey
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       12-31-2003, 9:44 AM Reply   
Jon Allen Boatmate

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/80670.html?1062826097
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       12-31-2003, 9:54 AM Reply   
Yeah, there is one instance Boat mate might have had a problem. Every other trailer company has had problems also. I've never had a problem with them. I like them best.
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       12-31-2003, 10:17 AM Reply   
Jon I was just giving you crap.
Old     (switch)      Join Date: Oct 2003       12-31-2003, 10:43 AM Reply   
So how is Grant holding up, do he ever get his problem with AWS taken of? I hope so
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       12-31-2003, 11:12 AM Reply   
Phaeton,

Its cool. I was just defending my boys, haha.
Old    houstonperson            12-31-2003, 11:16 AM Reply   
At this point, all the trailers seem similar to me. The thing that concerns me is that there appears to be a lot of "low quality" areas on almost all of them. Axles, suspension design, very low quality flip up jack in front (flimsy). I have two friends and the front jack bends so easily and yet these trailers are so expensive. I guess what I am saying is that I want to get something that last and will not give trouble, and don't mind paying just a little extra for it. I was really leaning towards Boatmate till I saw the pictures above. It does make you think.

(Message edited by HoustonPerson on December 31, 2003)
Old     (tigeal)      Join Date: Jul 2002       12-31-2003, 11:18 AM Reply   
My vote goes to Ryan and Extreme
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       12-31-2003, 11:21 AM Reply   
Ryan spot welds all the bolts and nuts holding the axle and leaf springs. My only complaint is the center section of the trailer is a bit low and drags on the ground every once in awhile. I am on my second Ryan trailer and would buy again.

Extreme makes a nice trailer also.
Old    matt_dettman            12-31-2003, 11:31 AM Reply   
Regarding flimsy jacks and other low quality components...

One of the determining factors in trailer "quality" is the amount of money a given dealer is willing to spend on his or her "stock" trailers. Price is one of the major factors for consumers when shopping for a new rig. A dealer can spend as much as a thousand dollars less at wholesale for what at first glance by a newby would otherwise look like any other trailer.

Chrome swing hitch, spare tire and rack, torsion axles (as opposed to leaf springs), extended guide posts, ratcheting integrated hold down straps, heavier rated tires, stronger jack, five inch frame(instead of four inch) etc. can really add up!

Just like anything else, you get what you pay for!
Old     (rzmike)      Join Date: Jun 2003       12-31-2003, 1:11 PM Reply   
While we're on the subject of trailer quality, what's the opinion of aluminum trailers like this?

They're much cheaper than what the dealer wants for a steel one. Are aluminum trailers cheaper to manufacture or is it "you get what you pay for"
Old     (justridin)      Join Date: Oct 2002       12-31-2003, 1:14 PM Reply   
Matt hit the nail on the head. The trailer manufacturer will build according to the price and specifications requested by the dealer (or you, the knowlegable customer). Yet again the overall satisfaction with your new boat (no matter what the brand) can depend on expertise and intentions of the dealer.

Trailers have always been overlooked by inexperienced boat buyers and dealers can use that to lower the price of the overall package or pocket a few more dollars. I would bet there are as many (or more) nasty trailer stories like the one pictured above as there are boat stories.

I have owned and used just about all the trailer brands listed above. I am now on the Extreme bandwagon but they too will build you a four inch frame, leaf spring, single axle, with no tie downs.

Old    blr            01-02-2004, 9:57 AM Reply   
I love my extreme. My buddy has the same boat with a Dorsey. The dorsey tows nice but is quite a bit lower and hits on everything! My extreme is rock solid and tows like a dream.
Old    maverick_gear            01-02-2004, 2:37 PM Reply   
once again whirly please us my SN, the New VM is so Good there is no point in spending the money on a Ryan, plus VM is already set up to fit the new Enzo and since i wanted to pick it up at the factory it would have been a pain to get a different trailor.
Old    akman            01-02-2004, 3:04 PM Reply   
Cannot complain about my Trailrite trailer made in Santa Ana, California.

Channel trailer with spare tire mounted underneath, Galvanized (Custom colored EPOXY dipped to match the boat)all the wiring (butt connectors) are dipped in liquid electrical to help against corrosion, disc brakes, tandem axle, swing away tongue.

M2O Marine let me custom order mine in the color I wanted and built how I wanted it. Most of the Nautiques in Southern California come on these trailers.

http://www.trailrite.com/tournament.htm
Old     (big_un)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-03-2004, 7:09 PM Reply   
R-A-M-L-I-N !}}
Old     (zipe)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-03-2004, 11:09 PM Reply   
Run from V&M.

-6 days into new boat, hub blew out. Had to tow and replace axle at factory, they did not fix any of the cosmetic damage.
-Weld on steel bar between front bumper pads busted off, re-welded then other side busted off. Bar now completely missing.
-Lost diamond plating do to rivets popping out.
-Replaced all other rivets on diamond plating. Loose or falling out.
-Carpet on bunks worn through.
-Bunks splitting and disintegrating at mounting points.
-Carpet covered pad inside wheel well fell off. Bye Bye.
-Winch design cuts into strap and eventually trough strap when cinched down, replaced strap twice.
-Both tail lights have been replaced due to cracks (and yes, I unplug them before launching)
-Bow eye stabilizer bar rubber disintegrating .
-Quick release on brake line does not seal and leaks all fluid out when tongue disconnected.
-The jack works well so far.

Any FYI. The trailer is a '99 dual axle, most problems within first 3 years. Boat and trailer are stored inside warehouse.

Can I reccommend V&M trailers? Ummm, NO!
Old    houstonperson            01-05-2004, 9:21 AM Reply   
Shawn, that is good to know about V&M; but that is a brand I have never heard of before.

I am only looking at the Extreme, Dorsey, and Boatmate. So far most seem to favor the Extreme; but that maybe because most of the responses are from the Western USA. Are far as the "specs" are concerned the Extreme and BoatMate seem to be on top. I have also noticed that pricing for the trailers are all over the place, even with the same equipment. Buying a boat and trailer is proving to be a real pain! Not at all like cars where you know where you stand in regard to price and options.
Old    tige_joe            01-07-2004, 5:46 AM Reply   
EXTREME.....enuf said! After 8 boats, 4 different brands of trailers.......Extreme is the TOP DOG. Beautifully finished, Chrome swing-away tongue, and many other superb options.......I think they are in a class by themselves. Oh.....and by the way, a friendly staff that can handle any warranty issues without question. Hope you make the right choice.
Old     (wake_fun)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-07-2004, 10:11 AM Reply   
The one under my boat which is DHM. I'm lucky enough to be close to their facility and basically can have anything custom done to it how I want it. I believe I've already posted pictures in the past......