Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (anketell3)      Join Date: Nov 2012       05-24-2013, 9:26 AM Reply   
Hi everyone!
I was thinking about getting a GoPro Hero 3 black edition for filming wakeboarding. Do you think i should get a different camera for filming? I was going to make a pole for the GoPro to go on, or have one of my friends film beside me. I also wanted to film from the boat but seeing other threads I understand that the people look too far away from the cameras point of view. So basically what are the Pros Vs. Cons of filming with a go pro. Thanks for the help and sorry if my wording is confusing!
Old     (machloosy)      Join Date: Mar 2013       05-24-2013, 12:27 PM Reply   
Pro's: Durability. Ease of use. Mounting options. Warranty. Wifi Preview(app)
Con's: Close range lense. Wifi kills battery life. No on camera preview.

I like my black edition a ton. And the fact the both apple and PC can play the video's seamlessly is nice. My vote is get one. The various cases, batteries, and mounts can add up though
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-24-2013, 3:36 PM Reply   
You will not be able to film riding from the boat. But if you can put the effort into getting a nice pole setup on a tube you can get some phenomenal shots.
Old     (Orange)      Join Date: Jun 2012       05-24-2013, 8:27 PM Reply   
Gopros are awesome where the camera is inside the action, but they are not very good at all when filming from an uninvolved position.
Old     (Jibbo)      Join Date: Apr 2013       05-25-2013, 12:21 AM Reply   
Try using a Wakeye to mount your GoPro . It will track your every move and you can use your smartphone or camcorder if you wish.
http://www.wakeye.com/pages/wakeboard-towers

Last edited by Jibbo; 05-25-2013 at 12:24 AM.
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-25-2013, 8:56 AM Reply   
^^^^ Ya it'll follow the action alright but the rider is going to be very small.
Old     (anketell3)      Join Date: Nov 2012       05-28-2013, 6:09 AM Reply   
Thanks for the advice everyone! Sounds like I'm going to get a GoPro and make a pole for it! What mount would you use the bike or roll bar mount?
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-28-2013, 9:05 AM Reply   
Go to your local hardware store and pick up a 4 foot long and 3/4" or so in diameter treated wood dowel rod. Get the bike post mount and voila, floating pole for your GoPro that costs 5 bucks. Been using one of those for the last 4 years without a single problem. I put a little bit of duct tape on two spots around the end of the pole where I mount the camera to add in a little extra safety for the mount in case it decides to move up and down, but it's never moved.
Old     (zenxteninc)      Join Date: Oct 2013       10-22-2013, 8:44 AM Reply   
Check out this footage from my rope mount.. Its coming along I think there is lots of potential. Im with the others from the boat isnt going to offer great video.. it may be good.. but not great..

Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       10-22-2013, 9:28 AM Reply   
I think a GoPro is a good investment as a secondary view for wakeboarding. It's not the best option for a primary camera, but it is most certainly versatile and if you enjoy filming a lot it's worth it. I have the Hero and Hero 2 with LCD backpac (a must for me, I have to be able to preview) and i love them. If you do get one, be creative in your mounting. Some people on here have come up with some pretty brilliant ways to catch good footage.
Attached Images