Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (83Starsnstripes)      Join Date: Jul 2013       10-22-2013, 9:28 AM Reply   
Looks like you can pick up a used ML or GL CDI these days that won't break the bank. Anyone here have experience with either one? Leaning toward the ML.
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-22-2013, 9:44 AM Reply   
ML looks small to me. I would think the GL would tow better and give you more versatility with passengers and cargo. I guess its sort of the Tahoe vs Suburban arguement. I'll take my Burb over my dad's short wheelbase escalde everytime.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       10-22-2013, 10:57 AM Reply   
my brohter bought a 2012 GL 550 ( AMG package) . Car is big, fun to drive, very nice interior. He's finding out it's expensive to maintain. he'll prolly sell when the warranty runs out. Finding tires for the 21 inch wheels were expensive.

Not sure on towing?

But it's much nicer ( interior ) than any tahoe/escalade IMO.
Old     (83Starsnstripes)      Join Date: Jul 2013       10-22-2013, 11:47 AM Reply   
That's what I was afraid of. I have a small MC that only weights 3500lbs but it would nice to have the extra room and pulling power. I'm more interested in the diesel mpg. That's what got me looking at these.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-22-2013, 1:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 83Starsnstripes View Post
Looks like you can pick up a used ML or GL CDI these days that won't break the bank. Anyone here have experience with either one? Leaning toward the ML.
it wont break the bank til you bring it in for service.
Old     (HotTubTony)      Join Date: Jun 2013       10-22-2013, 1:31 PM Reply   
I test drove a 2009 ML320 Bluetec Diesel. It is similar in size to a GMC Arcadia and can tow 7200 lbs. In the research I did, my understanding is that it tows like a champ.
Old     (monkey_butt)      Join Date: Sep 2011 Location: Twin Cities       10-22-2013, 1:46 PM Reply   
Driving a 2010 ML350 Bluetec ... diesel is the best thing ever for an SUV ... getting easily 20 - 22mpg in town and 30+ on the freeway ... towing capacity is 7000lbs. with the original MB hitch - not sure how yours is equipped. When towing boat it goes down to about 15mpg - not too bad either but I don't have to tow too often anymore. And you have no problem with keeping up with the traffic - has plenty of torque ;-) ...

If you look up forums - some complain/have issues with the tongue load when towing large campers - not an issue with boats as the weight is in the back anyway. Maintenance/service is not too bad ... yeah you may pay a bit extra and just in case - bluetec as run-flat tires due to the used up space for the adblue - so no spare - those do run more expensive when you have to replace them ... will know in a few months when mine are due. Free loaners when you bring it in and no need to book 10 weeks in advance to get one ... so you get a few things for the money

one thing to know upfront: Darn thing hates LED trailer lights - don't have enough resistance so warning/malfunction light goes off if you don't use an aftermarket resistor between truck and trailer ... VW has the same issue.

Not sure if you by certified pre-owned or not - but if you do - warranty is usually 100K ...

Can't speak for the GL but remember when buying this one ... stood in the showroom next to a GL450 - gas mileage (talking gas not diesel) said arond 11mpg (I'm like 'ok - if you can afford a 90K car I guess you don't really care about gas') - so diesel will save you a few but it's a big car and if you don't have a bunch of kids, dogs, one wife and what else you need to fit ... doubt you really get the savings - especially when you drive around by yourself 90% of the time ...
Old     (83Starsnstripes)      Join Date: Jul 2013       10-22-2013, 3:39 PM Reply   
^^^Thanks!! I think the ML will work for me. I tow a smaller boat and no kids yet. Also, living in the city with a bigger car isn't exactly ideal. Now I got to go drive one.
Old     (16igordon)      Join Date: Jun 2013       10-26-2013, 2:05 PM Reply   
My mom has a 2011 ML350 and absolutely loves it. It has 60,000 miles on it already and she has had no problems with it. It does cost more for service, but you get a free loaner and they treat you great; also I know she only has to bring hers in once a year so although it is more expensive it actually seems cheaper in the long run compared to the other cars our family has (im pretty sure nicholas already mentioned this but I thought I would say it again). Only bad thing that I can think of is that the tires are also pretty pricey- I know she has pirellis on it and they cost a good bit to replace. But the smooth, solid ride makes up for it!

As for towing, my parents decided not to get a hitch because with the wire harness, labor, and hitch it was around $2000 or $2500 and they found it cheaper just to get the wakesetter delivered to our house instead of them paying that much. But, my neighbor towed a 23ft supra a very long distance on his ML350 and he said it worked great. Hope this helps.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       10-26-2013, 4:43 PM Reply   
I have owned 2 mercedes ml's. One a 2001, and one a 2006. My opinion is that they they tow awesome. On the other hand they are very expensive for repairs. I would not suggest owning one unless under warranty. And if you think you can do it your self. You can't. Used to be true. But when the heat does not work and it is a $1,000 for the part, and the differential goes out couple thousand, and the balance shaft goes out and you have to take the entire engine/tranny out, etc. ,etc.
Old     (axeman)      Join Date: Aug 2009       10-26-2013, 6:48 PM Reply   
I've got a 2009 ML 550 that I use to tow my Nautique 230. Obviously, I've got the bigger V8 but I'd say it tows great and since you aren't towing a heavy boat then you'll be way under the limit anyways. If you can find one with the AirMatic suspension that would be even better since it'll tow level. I would definitely go the CPO route so that you are covered up to 135k (depending on the warranty you choose/pay for). CPO also covers the AirMatic shocks. Regular shocks are not covered by CPO and they need to be replaced every 50k miles. The only reason I'm thinking of getting a truck is because I want to eventually get a G23 and I won't be able to tow that with the ML. As far as the LED trailer lights go, all you need is a different 7-5 pin adapter that is specific for trailers with LED lights.