Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Ian)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-05-2010, 2:01 PM Reply   
I am looking into buying the Pro Sport 20 Gen 2.

MY question is, do I have any issues charging 6 6volt golf cart batteries with this?

I do play the system loud and hard. at times sitting in party cover and blasting for 3-5 hours. Or heavy riding for 2-4 hours rotating sessions. I do pull trailer the boat at night and have access to power over night.

Thanks for the help.
Old     (Matt)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-05-2010, 2:55 PM Reply   
I would say just make sure you are running them in a series & charge 2 batteries @12v with each bank of the charger...
Old     (Ian)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-05-2010, 3:21 PM Reply   
Then I should be looking for the 3 bank charger?
Old     (Matt)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-05-2010, 3:24 PM Reply   
They have a 3bank also, What is your battery configuration?
Old     (Ian)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-05-2010, 3:46 PM Reply   
Probably going to wire them all together on one bank, or do 4 on one bank 2 on the other. But this is my first go around with 6V batteries. Wiring the positive to negitive seems so wrong to me. Im just not totally sure I know what i am doing yet.

I guess what would you do Matt?
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-05-2010, 5:08 PM Reply   
Off of the first battery you go negative to the next batteries positive and just keep that protocol going down through the chain. You are left with the positive on the first open and the negative on the last open. These are where you run your power and grounds off of, so power off the first and ground off the last. Those same two terminals is where you will wire one lead off of your charger, again positive on the first battery and negative off of the last. Your charger will now see it as one big battery and charge them as such.
Old     (clayton191)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-05-2010, 5:22 PM Reply   
Hate N Pain -- using 6V batteries, would what you describe create higher voltage (in series) ...

Does this work as intended --- two banks of 12v batteries in parallel to double aH...

Last edited by clayton191; 05-05-2010 at 5:24 PM. Reason: botched image...
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-05-2010, 5:55 PM Reply   
Seperate all three sets into two battery banks wired in series. You then connect the three positives off of each two battery bank together in parallel and do the same with the negatives. So now it looks like 3 12V batteries wired in parallel.

You can then wire charge them all off the first bank.

Holy crap I had him running it at 36 volts!!!

Last edited by hatepain; 05-05-2010 at 5:59 PM. Reason: Because I'm an idiot! Also its Cinco De Mayo and I had 2 shots of Patron at lunch. :)
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       05-05-2010, 6:01 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatepain View Post
Off of the first battery you go negative to the next batteries positive and just keep that protocol going down through the chain. You are left with the positive on the first open and the negative on the last open. These are where you run your power and grounds off of, so power off the first and ground off the last. Those same two terminals is where you will wire one lead off of your charger, again positive on the first battery and negative off of the last. Your charger will now see it as one big battery and charge them as such.
Not what he said.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       05-05-2010, 6:02 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatepain View Post
Seperate all three sets into two battery banks wired in series. You then connect the three positives off of each two battery bank together in parallel and do the same with the negatives. So now it looks like 3 12V batteries wired in parallel.

You can then wire charge them all off the first bank.

Holy crap I had him running it at 36 volts!!!
Yes, what he said.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-05-2010, 6:03 PM Reply   
^^^ lol
Old     (Ian)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-05-2010, 7:44 PM Reply   
Hate,

What did I do to offend you?

She said she was single. (Just fing with you!!)

That ish was funny Tall!!!

Clayton191, thank you for saving my ass!!

Thanks for the advice!!
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       05-06-2010, 12:03 PM Reply   
I was reading hates 1st post saying no,no,no in my head. Yeah, I'll 2nd, or 3rd, or whatever his second post. That's the right way.

Also, if you get the 3 bank charger, you can still run a lead to each "12 volt" pair.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-06-2010, 12:33 PM Reply   
Good lookin out fellas!
Old     (clayton191)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-06-2010, 1:32 PM Reply   
Just a quick note --- West Marine has the 20 Plus on sale for $159.00 and the 20 (standard) on sale for $111.00 --- These are like 190 at bass pro shop and cabellas... I took the one I bought at bass pro shop back today and picked one up at west marine....
Old     (clayton191)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-28-2010, 10:57 AM Reply   
I called ProMariner about this -- they said that running golf cart batteries would be too much -- biggest battery that you can use is the d31 group sizing.... I'm a bit bummed...
Old     (Ian)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-28-2010, 11:45 AM Reply   
After much debate and speaking with David @ Earmark, I decided to go with a Progressive dynamics 60 amp charger. Price was more, but will do what I need. Earmark has a great price on it as well. Best I found and the customer service David provided after I received the charger was terrific.