Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (WakeUpProducts)      Join Date: Jun 2013       06-25-2013, 9:03 AM Reply   
I have been wakeboarding behind a boat for a few years now and I wanted to try the cable park out. That being said is there anybody that could give me some pointers before I go and make a fool of myself? Thanks
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-25-2013, 9:15 AM Reply   
Just go and ask questions, they'll be happy to help! I recommend renting a slider board from them, unless you have invested in a slider board for yourself. Basically rent everything other than a USCG vest. Watch the carrier/rope go through the towers to have a better idea of when you should turn yourself. It's just like doing a sitting or standing dock start. Don't purchase more than 2 hrs, that's plenty of time to ride and take breaks, and your body can not handle any more on your first time.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-25-2013, 9:18 AM Reply   
I'm no expert but I will share some things I've learned recently.

1. Watch out for empty handles when you are swimming. They will knock the hell out of you.
2. If you aren't going to hit an obstacle, ride near it so the rollers pass by the time the next rider gets to it.
3. When you crash, get the heck out of the way!
4. The start is just like a standing dock start. Don't over think it.
5. You will feel sore muscles. Its a slightly different pull than the boat.
6. Get radical and have fun.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-25-2013, 9:22 AM Reply   
Attitude, attitude, attitude. You are going to suck and little cable rats who can't even jump the wake are going to be killing it. If you have the right attitude, you will have a blast. Enjoy the opportunity to learn something totally new every time off the dock.

1.) Paddle clear of the obstacles after you fall and before you take your board off.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-25-2013, 9:25 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephan View Post
I'm no expert but I will share some things I've learned recently.

1. Watch out for empty handles when you are swimming. They will knock the hell out of you.
2. If you aren't going to hit an obstacle, ride near it so the rollers pass by the time the next rider gets to it.
3. When you crash, get the heck out of the way!
4. The start is just like a standing dock start. Don't over think it.
5. You will feel sore muscles. Its a slightly different pull than the boat.
6. Get radical and have fun.
Great recommendations! I wish more people would think about how they're riding was effecting others on the cable a lot more often.
Old     (WakeUpProducts)      Join Date: Jun 2013       06-25-2013, 9:25 AM Reply   
Thanks for the help. Are the speeds the same as being pulled by a boat?
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-25-2013, 9:27 AM Reply   
No, normally slower, around 18-20. Many cables now are doing day camps and the cable is even slower during the camp times for beginners and kids.
Old     (mccormickscablepark)      Join Date: Jun 2013       06-25-2013, 9:27 AM Reply   
Just go out and have fun!
Dont overthink things.
Watch others and dont be afraid to ask questions.
And last but not least...have fun!
Old     (WakeUpProducts)      Join Date: Jun 2013       06-25-2013, 9:32 AM Reply   
Yea I will definitely try to have fun. I'll probably be laughing at myself most of the time.
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-25-2013, 11:25 AM Reply   
You think its harder then it is!!!!!

I cant flip or spin off kickers but I can slide the rails.
IMHO its way easier then wakeboarding......
Hardest thing for me was going from a Faction to a finless Vibe....lol
When approaching a slider cut into it a bit.....I tried riding straight onto it and the cable always pulled me off.....
Not sure how other parks are but at Wake Island the ppl running the start are cool and helpful.
HAVE FUN......DONT TAKE IT TO SERIOUSLY....LOL
Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       06-25-2013, 4:54 PM Reply   
does anyone else find it harder to handlepass on a cable (specifically system 2) than on a boat? I've got 3s consistently ts and hs behind my boat but cannot for the life of me pass the handle on a system 2....JC if anyone else has had a similar struggle and how they overcame it.
Old     (JamesHawk101)      Join Date: Sep 2012       06-25-2013, 7:17 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyA View Post
does anyone else find it harder to handlepass on a cable (specifically system 2) than on a boat? I've got 3s consistently ts and hs behind my boat but cannot for the life of me pass the handle on a system 2....JC if anyone else has had a similar struggle and how they overcame it.
I find it way hard too. I think its almost cause the lines stretch a bit more on cable.
Old     (slidin_out)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-26-2013, 7:25 AM Reply   
Went to OWC during vacation for my first time riding cable. The people running the cables were extremely helpful. Be prepared to laugh at yourself because it's different and you'll look kind of goofy taking off the first few times. I rode the regular cable for an hour and then hopped over to the advanced. The guy running it and myself had several laughs while I was getting used to the start. Couple of faceplants off the dock and a wicked back edge off the first kicker had everyone laughing. It will jerk the handle right out of yours hand if you aren't watching too. I had a blast. There were a lot of younger people, high school and college age, as well as some my age and older. There was a late 50's hippie out there ripping it up throwing every 3 in the book. There was a 12yo girl on the advanced making me look like a complete chump. Told her to quit making me look bad and everyone on the dock cracked up. It's fun just don't take it too seriously or you won't get to enjoy it. And I second that two hours is more than enough time your first couple of visits.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-26-2013, 8:11 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by slidin_out View Post
here was a late 50's hippie out there.....
Hi Ronnie. That might have been me. I'm pretty much the only "late 50's hippy" out there.
Old     (slidin_out)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-28-2013, 1:04 PM Reply   
If so you were showing me up for sure. I told my wife when we pulled up and seen you getting your gear out of the car I said "watch that guy is going to be ripping it up I bet".