Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (adam4x4)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-19-2012, 9:40 AM Reply   
Well its time for a new ride! I have test drove all the 1/2 tons and have it down to these 2 trucks. I know that the Tundra dose not get the fuel mile that the Eco Boost gets but they both drove great with good power. What I want to know is what problems have you have and which one is going to the best truck for the for 200,000 miles. Thanks Adam
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-19-2012, 9:53 AM Reply   
If you are looking at 200k miles, not sure anyone knows on the Ecoboost. I heard rumor that the turbo in the boost is good for 150k I think. I personally feel like the F150 is a lot nicer on the inside than the Toyota. I have written up 2 deals on trading in my Duramax on the Ecoboost now and backed out both times. Look around, there are still leftover 2011 F150 Ecboosts that could save you some additional cash.
Old     (saberworks)      Join Date: Sep 2010       03-19-2012, 11:13 AM Reply   
Did you test drive while towing your boat? I ended up buying a Ram 1500, but for me it was between the Tundra and the Ram. I decided not to buy another Ford after having two (2000 Expedition, 2005 F-150) that ended up being expensive to maintain and plagued with design problems that never should have been there in the first place (100k mile spark plugs that go bad at 45k and break off in the engine, howling rear end that dealer continued to claim was normal, seat foam that somehow broke off inside the seat and made it uncomfortable to sit in, hot/cold blend doors that break off and make you take apart the whole dash to fix, severe vibration at WOT, "cam phasers" that make the 5.4 sound like a diesel and kill gas mileage, then cost >$1300 to replace, and more).

I test drove the Tundra a couple of times and liked it, but decided to go with the Ram because the Tundra front seat bolsters were too close together and were uncomfortable for me and when accelerating onto the freeway on an on-ramp I noticed some weird surging.

BTW: not totally happy with my 2012 Ram, either. The power is great and it's nice and smooth, but there are a few things that annoy me. The cruise control isn't very good: when encountering even a slight incline it seems to drop 5-6mph before it downshifts and then it overshoots by 5 mph. The "eco" mode (where it deactivates half the cylinders) has been lame for me so far, it barely comes on, and when it does, it shuts off right away, like it's not strong enough to maintain speed on a flat road with no load. Others on dodge forums don't seem to have this problem and blame it on the fact that I only have ~1500 miles on the truck so far. I'm going to give it another 1500 before I get it looked at. (every dealer I've ever been to refuses to admit there's a problem unless something's throwing a code)

I get about 12 MPG in normal driving, and I recently drove from Seattle to Portland and back and averaged 16. Others claim they get 18-22 with the same model/motor (crew cab, hemi) but I'm not seeing anywhere near that on average (I see the meter bump up to >20 going down hill but unless you're driving in some escher-inspired fantasy world, I don't see how you can go downhill all the time).
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-19-2012, 12:06 PM Reply   
I have a Tundra. I love it, it is big and takes awhile to get used to. If it didn't get poor gas mileage it would be my daily driver. Gas tank is small, too I've thought about an Eco, but after seeing the poor gas mileage when towing, it's not really worth it to get one. Yes, the eco will get better mileage when not towing. Tundra interior feels cheap, Ford's is nice. I like the exterior styling of Crewmax, not so much the Ford. Sorry Ford guys. Reliability, have to watch for the emission pumps on the Tundra. I can't remember the name of them right now, but once out of warranty they are a costly fix. With the Ford, well it's a Ford. Enough said.....
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-19-2012, 12:20 PM Reply   
Sorry to hear about your luck.
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       03-19-2012, 2:16 PM Reply   
I have a 2011 Platinum F150 with the Ecoboost. Initially I got pretty good mileage out of the truck, including a 250 mile round trip where I averaged 21mpg going between 65-75mph. I now have 10k miles on the truck and the mileage has seemed to decrease steadily. I am now around 17mpg for the life of the truck. I do a lot of city driving but have a typical highway commute each day of about 50 miles round trip.

I don't think Ford has the ECU programming correct on these trucks but I still think it is a great truck and engine.

I picked up my 2012 Tige RZR 2 weekends ago and despite the tongue weight was out of whack (850lbs...it's back at the trailer manufacturer to get the boat moved back a little!) based on some changes made to the custom trailer it towed my boat very well. The truck seldom ever shifted out of 6th gear on the highway except for one or two steep overpasses.

I was very impressed with the motor and even more impressed that it got 14.5mpg while towing the boat.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       03-19-2012, 3:27 PM Reply   
i have an 11 ecoboost with 4x4 and 3.73's i drive 6k a month, yes a month, i am averaging about 18.5 to 19. i get around 17.5 in the city/burbs and a solid 20 or better on hi way. i am in pgh pa, a lot of hills, i really focus on the gas. you can really motor with this eco motor. so, i try and not get in it too much. tows great, i think you cant go wrong with any of them
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-19-2012, 3:40 PM Reply   
Doug, how many miles are you up to on it? Any trips to the dealer for warranty issues, even minor ones?
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       03-19-2012, 3:43 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougr View Post
i have an 11 ecoboost with 4x4 and 3.73's i drive 6k a month, yes a month, i am averaging about 18.5 to 19. i get around 17.5 in the city/burbs and a solid 20 or better on hi way. i am in pgh pa, a lot of hills, i really focus on the gas. you can really motor with this eco motor. so, i try and not get in it too much. tows great, i think you cant go wrong with any of them
Did you get the latest TSB ECU flash? I've heard pretty mixed reviews on it. Some people say that your mileage initially goes up and then after a few hundred miles it levels off to where it was before or worse.
Old     (waketowake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-19-2012, 4:27 PM Reply   
love my tundra
Attached Images

Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       03-19-2012, 4:29 PM Reply   
i have 20,000 miles on it, i am in sales and drive a lot. I had a map done at 5k, mine had a service code limp mode go off when i was in heavy rain. They could not find anything wrong, but did do an update at that time. That was the first month i had it. I bought it in october. I drive more from march to dec. my jan and feb are alot less. I like it, the drive shaft slip yoke needs greased so it does not clunk, and you can feel the mini surges ( slight turbo flux i call it) but that is fairly normal. The cold weather will cut 2 mpg, but when it gets over 55 degrees the milage go's back up. It has been good so far, i cover all of WV and half of western pa, so the driving is not flat and there are a lot of hills. i think you have to pay attention to your speed. I find myself going 78 to 80 and have to cut back to really get 20+. I just went to baltimore for work with 4 adults and luggage in feb (around 30degrees out) and got 20.4 there and back. I did not reset the trip, just let it average both ways.

i have had no warranty issues, today i did 200 miles part hi way part stop and go and got 18. I am always watching it. If I spend all day in the city and heavy traffic, the worst i have gotten is low 17's. I think thats really good. I just cant justify 2 cars, i would need to double my gas mpg to balance the cost of the insurance, car payment, etc etc. Hope this helps.
Old     (Thrall)      Join Date: Oct 2010       03-19-2012, 4:45 PM Reply   
If the Eco pulls better than the new 5.0, which it should, and gets better mileage, debateable, then go with the Eco unless you have to have the Mega Cab Tundra.
I have a '11 F150 5.0 and even though I'm not a Ford guy, this truck has more snort than any other stock 1/2 ton I've been in, including Tundras and Hemi's. The 6sp auto works like a trans should (alot like the Allison 1000). Tow haul raises the shift points where they should be and with t/h engaged, it down shifts and engine brakes with a tap of the brakes.
I'm very impressed with the new F150's to say the least. How they hold up with 100k or 200k mi is yet to be seen though.
I only have 15k mi on mine, but it's constantly loaded with a full tool box and transfer tank, overload springs in back and I tow heavy with it pretty regularly (6-10k flatbed). I average about 17mpg commuting, 15mpg commuting/on the job/idleing, etc, and last tiem I checked highway, got about 20mog straight 70mph cruising.
Just my 2c.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-19-2012, 6:41 PM Reply   
Thanks Doug! Been trying to gather as much feedback on them as I can.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       03-19-2012, 6:52 PM Reply   
i just sold my boat and have a new boat that just came in. i tow an 09 enzo 23 and just got a new 244. I have always been a tower( trailers, car haulers etc) and i am really impressed with the ecoboost. i think it will become the standard with ford and others will follow. Its like driving a diesel but without the stick. I have had 3 diesels, 2 dodges and a 02 f350. they where great, but i cant really see a major difference. I think once you get over a certain weight, then the diesel gives you that extra advantage. The ride is nice, pretty quiet and tracks well. It handles fairly well and has a great layout. the sinc rocks if you have to be on the phone a lot. I like the fact that you dont have to kill it in rpm to get every bit of power out of it.
Attached Images

Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-19-2012, 8:36 PM Reply   
I just read you have to pull the engine to replace the water pump on the ecoboost to the tune of 2500 dollars . I dont know if its true but worth checking before you buy. IMO there is no replacement for cubic inch displacement buying a small engine with a lot of high tech equipment to get it to pull a load is a recipe for failure down the road .
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-19-2012, 8:50 PM Reply   
I like the Tundra, and own one.

Do a search for 'Air Induction Pump' and you will about crap your pants. After repeated failures, Toyota has stepped up (somewhat) to warranty them for 150K miles...by replacing them with the same failure prone pumps. The Air Induction pump fiasco might drive me another direction if I ever have a failure, but I am much reassurred about keeping this one for a while now.

It pulls very nicely, and has lots of power. Sucks gas like no tomorrow when towing, but I have used it for two heavy boats, my old X45 and bu 247. It has the most comfortable seats for my body type. The crewmax has a huge back seat, and that is great for my almost adult children.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-19-2012, 8:51 PM Reply   
Of course, it would not be proper if I did not show it off a bit:

Old     (tylerc)      Join Date: Jun 2006       03-19-2012, 8:55 PM Reply   
I tow quite a bit during the summer months (30' Sailboats, Wakeboats, a 24 Sisu, and some lighter weight boats) and my Eco F150 has been excellent. I just turned 44k and have had zero issues so far with the exception of having the Sync system reflashed to work better with my phone. My average fuel economy is right around 20 and when I drove from Albany NY to Breckenridge, CO in November I average almost 25mpg across the country, much better than the 19 I got in my older 5.4 F150. I love the truck so far.
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       03-20-2012, 5:38 AM Reply   
love my 2011 Eco Lariat 4X4, pulls like a deisel, plush like a Lincoln, get's great MPG , could not ask for more
Old     (waketowake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-20-2012, 9:36 AM Reply   
TallTige that thing is worth showing off. That thing is fresh. BHLM and halos would look sick in that thing. Crusing on the HIghway at 70 i get around 27 mpg, towing its around 16. I have the smaller V8. Doesn't have a problem towing though.
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-20-2012, 11:21 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by waketowake View Post
Crusing on the HIghway at 70 i get around 27 mpg, towing its around 16. I have the smaller V8. Doesn't have a problem towing though.
Oh brother. Keep drinking the coolaid.
Attached Images

Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-20-2012, 11:29 AM Reply   
Quote:
Crusing on the HIghway at 70 i get around 27 mpg, towing its around 16. I have the smaller V8. Doesn't have a problem towing though.
Is that a US gallon or Imperial Gallon?
Old     (waketowake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-20-2012, 12:34 PM Reply   
Haha US. it jumps from 25 to 33, up hill is about 17. I can make from Pensacola to ATL on one tank if I go 70 with no speed control.
Old     (adam4x4)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-20-2012, 12:43 PM Reply   
Thank you all for all the info and how much you like or dislike your trucks. I really thinking like most of you on here of going with a Eco boost, but i hope that there not going to be like the 6.0 problem that ford had. I know that in any truck you can get a bad one. I know from driving a gmc everyday for that they are a good truck , but they have no power and need to step it up. I will post what ever I buy in the next few weeks. the dodge dealer is wanting to get me in a 3/4 diesel and keeps coming down on the price. so we will see.
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-20-2012, 1:43 PM Reply   
Quote:
Haha US. it jumps from 25 to 33, up hill is about 17. I can make from Pensacola to ATL on one tank if I go 70 with no speed control.
Let me guess. That is what the thing on the dash tells you when you are going downhill coasting

....You don't know how to figure out real MPG do you?

Anyway, Adam...good luck on your search. I'm sure you are having fun with it!
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       03-20-2012, 2:22 PM Reply   
i hope you are getting 27mpg i have made a living driving and have had more vehicles than years driving, so i am always looking at the mpg and performance. i had a tahoe with the 5.3 and got around 19 mpg on hi way, but there are few full size that will get over 20. i hope there are more options in the future. good luck on your purchase, i think they are all good trucks
Old     (pprior)      Join Date: Jan 2012       03-20-2012, 3:21 PM Reply   
I shopped all suvs and pickups for a new tow rig which is also my daily driver and ended up with a 2012 F150 with Ecoboost. The torque on this thing is amazing and no way I'd buy anything other than a diesel after driving it now and for a DD, the price and cost of going to a 3/4 ton diesel was not worth it. Best of luck with your decision, I'm not bashing any other option but for me the decision was clear.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-20-2012, 4:24 PM Reply   
I have had my 2011 Ecoboost for 6 months now. I still look forward to driving it to work every day. The torque is unreal. I am pretty brutal on it too. It tows boats almost daily and did some high altitude towing sled trailers in the mountains this winter.
Old     (peter19u)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-20-2012, 4:25 PM Reply   
I've had mine for a year and love it
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-20-2012, 4:43 PM Reply   
Between these two trucks, I'd get the Ecoboost. I just like them better.

Here are some pics I lifted from one of the F150 forums...

Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-20-2012, 4:45 PM Reply   
Here's some more eye candy...

Old     (Bam6961)      Join Date: Apr 2011       03-20-2012, 4:47 PM Reply   
I would look at consumer reports mag for a good review, there usually pretty good at judging the reliability. I would also look at edmunds for comparison.
Old     (tdc_worm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-20-2012, 4:50 PM Reply   
here is a good read of how the ecoboost compares to the performance of other engine options for the f150. based only off what they report, i would opt for the 6.2L, if i were to stick with a ford. but since i have a tundra, you can guess which truck i would select anyways, so my opinion is biased...

oh yeah, make sure read the second part, its not immediately obvious that there are two pages...

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2011/04...-6-part-1.html
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-20-2012, 6:52 PM Reply   
I don't think you could go wrong with either truck. With that said, I have a 2010 Tundra and really like it. Tows great for a 1/2 ton and has high torque in the lower RPM range which is what we like The new Ford's weren't out when I was in the market and I didn't care for the poor performing 5.4. I liked the power of the 6.2 in the GM 1/2 tons but couldn't get that engine without buying a fully loaded truck. I opted for the Tundra for the engine/transmission, size, price, and Toyota reputation. If I were in the market today it would be a tough choice between the newer f-150's and the Tundra.
Old     (waketowake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-20-2012, 10:03 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimewarranty View Post
Let me guess. That is what the thing on the dash tells you when you are going downhill coasting

....You don't know how to figure out real MPG do you?

Anyway, Adam...good luck on your search. I'm sure you are having fun with it!
I do go by that , but when i get to ATL which is about 360 miles from my house I have about 1/4 tank.TOYOTA says the tank is 26.4 gallons. But will only let me put in 20 when i'm completely empty. If i went 360 miles on 15 gallons( estimating on 1/4 tank) thats 24mpg. Plus I have about 50 or 60 city miles before I can start cruising. Again just estimating and sorry if i'm wrong....

Good luck Adam, both are sick trucks.
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-21-2012, 5:10 AM Reply   
Those Tundra's look incredible, the Ford's don't even compare in looks in my opinion.

If I had to rate the trucks, however, I'd go Toyota > Ford > the rest.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-21-2012, 7:21 AM Reply   
I had a 2010 Sequoia and now have an '11 Ecoboost F150. For me, the Ford wins hands down. It is so much nicer inside and more comfortable. Way better interior ergonomics. Gas mileage is way better too. I have difficulty keeping a vehicle for over a year but after having had the ford for almost 8 months (I think) I still really love the truck.

Here's mine right after I put the new rims on. FYI, with those rims/tires and the topper I am getting about 16 mpg avg.
Attached Images

Old     (pickle311)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-21-2012, 9:33 AM Reply   
I have an 07 Tundra TRD and love it. I had an F150 before and feel that the Toyota is a much nicer truck. It rides better, is more comfortable, better gas mileage, and pulls the boat significantly better. I'm up to 76,000 miles on it now and wouldn't hesitate to buy another one, in fact I just might next year.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-21-2012, 10:27 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickle311 View Post
I have an 07 Tundra TRD and love it. I had an F150 before and feel that the Toyota is a much nicer truck. It rides better, is more comfortable, better gas mileage, and pulls the boat significantly better. I'm up to 76,000 miles on it now and wouldn't hesitate to buy another one, in fact I just might next year.
If you compare '07 to '07, I agree. '12 to '12 - no way.
Old     (KLew101)      Join Date: Mar 2012       03-23-2012, 5:00 PM Reply   
Another one with a 11 EB and could not be happier, smooth, good mileage, & tows incredibly well. 11K on it now and no issues at all, then again it's my 5th 150 since 98 and none have ever required any service. My Dodge's were not so good to me.

Don't think I'll ever own another V8 in a truck, the EB in a WB would be insane although I would miss the V8 gurgle.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-23-2012, 5:13 PM Reply   
Love the Fords. 198k on my 2005 F150. I have gotten 90k On every set of plugs..yes 1 has broken each time..not that big of a deal they have a tool for getting them out that works amazing..I think it is BS they made the plug like that though. But I have never been happier with a car/truck. If I had to do it again it be an EB ALL DAY!!!!!
Old     (dukeno1)      Join Date: May 2006       03-23-2012, 9:48 PM Reply   
Just traded my 2001 Tundra (great truck with 250k on it and zero issues) on a 2012 F-150 Crewmax FX4 with the 5.0l. So far I love it but time will tell if it holds up like my old Toyota.
Attached Images

Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-24-2012, 5:08 AM Reply   
And the winner is?............................................... ................................
Old     (pureblue)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-24-2012, 11:40 AM Reply   
What kind of deals is everyone getting on the f150 ecoboost? I would like to get a super crew in the lariat trim or another trim with leather and the backup camera. Anyone getting something like this for under 40k?
Old     (Woody)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-24-2012, 12:40 PM Reply   
Mine had a sticker price of 50k and I paid 41k.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-24-2012, 1:47 PM Reply   
My 2011 FX4 Crew, leather, backup cam, tow package, etc was in the mid- upper 30's before tax. The sticker was 44k.
Old     (pureblue)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-24-2012, 2:02 PM Reply   
That sounds like a good deal alan. How does the fx4 compare to the lariat in terms of ride? I am also thinking of getting the 6.5 bed with the sc. I know it is longer, but it would be nice for a bigger bed. Would it increase much in cost with the 6.5 bed?
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-24-2012, 2:38 PM Reply   
Not sure what the cost difference is. I do know that there were some issues with "axle wrap" on the 6.5' beds. http://www.f150forum.com/f38/acceler...d-ford-112824/

I could not tell a difference in ride. My FX4 is incredibly smooth.
Old     (pureblue)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-24-2012, 3:45 PM Reply   
Thanks for the link alan. I have seen shudder complaints on the f150 forum before. I love the truck but would be a little worried that I could be one of the few stuck with a pretty annoying problem that doesn't appear to be resolved. Maybe the 13s would be good, but I don't know what kind of a deal I would get mid summer for a 13.
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-24-2012, 6:35 PM Reply   
Couple of things. I've been studying these trucks for about a year now. Waiting. I drove the eco and it was nice. I also drove the 6.2 F250 and it felt good too. In another thread someone suggested that I look at a GM 6.2 in a 1500. They are next to impossible to find. (Haven't driven one yet!) However, I did drive a Chevy 2500 with a 6.0 gas and it was pitiful. Sluggish and no get up and go. Reminded me of my friends Vortec Max in his 1500. No real power and downshifting all the time while hauling a flat bed with 3 dirtbikes on it and 3 folks and gear inside the truck.

I keep coming back to Toyota. The price is pretty good, they look good and feel good. Of the gas motors, they have some of the largest numbers and lowest peak torque RPMs. They are large, even with the double cab. I consider a Ford from time to time, but the screwing of diesel owners has me gun shy and I look at how much these customers lost on their investment. Meanwhile, Ford keeps on keeping on. I know they are not alone though. As far as Eco goes, I am not sure they'll last as long as I want them to. Anytime you force feed a pump, it creates heat and wear and a buddies at work has shut down on him on the interstate which caused him to pull over, shutdown and restart. Again, I am sure all brands have hiccups though.

In my search for the perfect truck I stumbled onto a nice tool on the Chevy site. Here's a link to my comparision of trucks. The Toyota has good dimensions, has 3/4 ton power and capacities (mostly) and weighs a 1/2 ton less. This equates into a truck that'll get decent mileage while just driving and still pull well with it's lowest of the group torque peak. It is not a 3/4 ton truck, but close. http://www.chevrolet.com/tools/compa...326703&sValue=

Finally, I am waiting and watching for the dump of these trucks. When it hits 8K off, I'm buying. Anyone think they'll get there or am I just wishing for the ultimate and impossible deal?
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-25-2012, 5:51 AM Reply   
Do you Really expect to get a unbiased opinion whether it be a Chevy,Ford,Dodge or Toyota site?
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-25-2012, 6:14 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwb4me View Post
Do you Really expect to get a unbiased opinion whether it be a Chevy,Ford,Dodge or Toyota site?
If you are referring to me, I'm not sure. I'm a Chevy guy, but changing. I am forced to look around and determine the best way to spend my hard earned money for the right tool to do the job I need completing. I also do not want to buy just because that is what "my" company is building; even if it is junk. I would have been against Ford, due to the whole Chevy vs. Ford thing in the past, but they are now my number two choice. Even if I were to find a GM truck with a 6.2 and love it, they are only installing them in their higher end trucks. I'm not going to buy a rear DVD player and leather just because I want a nice motor. Based on my current experience, Toyota is number one and Ford is number two. The 5.0 numbers are very close to the other 3/4 ton truck motor (gas) numbers.

Didn't mean to highjack the thread. Sorry. I really just wanted to share the comparision tool available on the Chevy site and see if anyone else thought I was nuts thinking that we might see $8-10K off the new truck stickers.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-25-2012, 6:28 AM Reply   
It's entirely possible to get unbiased information on the net.I just don't think you will get it from any of the Manufactures sites.As for fuel mileage and reliability,i rely on real peoples experience and the techs i see every day for reliability.If you talk to one of the Master Techs at each dealer you can get real world views on what's best in their line.Then it's easier to make a decision.They will tell you if whatever power plant or transmission hasn't been out long enough to speak about long term reliability.I would say 3 years after introduction they know enough to speak about reliability.
Old     (adam4x4)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-25-2012, 9:21 AM Reply   
Almost bought the tundra a few nights ago, but I want a better price. Also the gmc dealer call and gave a killer price on a truck with the 6.2 motor. It is going to be in on Tuesday so I can drive it. I do not know much about that motor. But I know it has more power than the tundera the Eco bost is probly out unless the dealer pulls his head out of his butt. and stops being a jack ass.
Old     (camassanger)      Join Date: Oct 2009       03-25-2012, 10:27 AM Reply   
Some really good info in this thread... I'll offer a few thoughts on the Dodge in hopes that it will help someone in the future:

I have the 2006 Ram 1500 Quadcab 4x4, I think this was the first year that they did the shut-off-4-cylinders (eco-mode) thing. It is supposed to get up to 20 MPG on the highway. One thing to consider on the Ram is that the eco-mode is very dependent on a stock configuration truck. When completely stock, the eco-mode works quite well but I noticed when I replaced the tires and did the 1.5" level kit up front and aligned front end, it goes into eco-mode much less frequently. I didn't even upgrade the tire size, but went with an all-terrain tread (Cooper Zeon LTZ). I put in a dashboard LED that indicates when it is activated and when it isn,t because otherwise its impossible to tell.

I really like the truck, and if you drive very gently it can be more efficient. But, I find that the advantage is reduced with the new tires and level kit. The Hemi is obviously fantastic for all things needed in a half ton truck. On the freeway, the eco-mode is almost nonexistant for me now unless Iam going downhill, or 50 mph. But in town, I see it switch in and out of eco-mode quite often, and I'm able to adjust my driving slightly to help improve mileage.

All the truck listed in this thread are great trucks. I have been very happy with the Dodge, and really like the new ones, but I'll be keeping mine for a good long while. Best of luck to those facing the decision.
Old     (michridr69)      Join Date: Dec 2008       03-25-2012, 12:13 PM Reply   
lol toyota truck????????????????????????? Ha kids these days
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-25-2012, 12:33 PM Reply   
Andy, what does that even mean? Do you actually have any input or are you just being an ass.
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-25-2012, 1:37 PM Reply   
You guys who are truck shopping right now, may want to hold out a few more months. With the way gas prices are right now, and summer usually being higher, dealerships may get desperate to sell trucks/suvs again. Back in 08 (?) when gas when sky high for the first time (recently) people couldn't give away full size trucks!
Old     (michridr69)      Join Date: Dec 2008       03-25-2012, 2:31 PM Reply   
Brett, just being an ass lol
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-25-2012, 3:10 PM Reply   
Gas prices could be steep this summer, but the economy was different in 2008. IIRC on it's way down, now it's on it's way up.
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-26-2012, 5:14 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam4x4 View Post
Almost bought the tundra a few nights ago, but I want a better price. Also the gmc dealer call and gave a killer price on a truck with the 6.2 motor. It is going to be in on Tuesday so I can drive it. I do not know much about that motor. But I know it has more power than the tundera the Eco bost is probly out unless the dealer pulls his head out of his butt. and stops being a jack ass.
Adam, the 6,2 being a larger motor should make more power, but it is actually very, very close to the Toy 5.7. In fact, the 5.7 makes about the same torque at a lower RPM. I haven't driven the 6.2 yet either, but my prediction is this: The GM will have so much torque management engaged that it's gonna be sluggish and unresponsive. Something the Toy is not. There are 6.2 owners on this forum, in other threads, who love their 6.2 GM and love the fun factor when driving them. Please give your drive report when you do it and what kind of deal you got on the truck!

My prediction of the 6.2 is based solely off my 5.3 Trailblazer and the 6.0 2500 I test drove. The TB was horrible in power delivery, shifting and drivability until I put in a tune. When I test drove the 6.0 and pressed the accelerator pedal I found myself pushing and pushing and pushing. It just wouldn't go, but it was smooth, so I do not think it was an engine issue. I found myself thinking how badly this truck needed a tune and then thought: "Why? It should run well from the very get go." I ran into a guy at Northern Tool one day and he was driving the same truck that I drove. He said it was a bad mistake and complained of the same issue I found. Only he ordered the truck and his wife wanted it. I think he just expected more from a 6.0 in a 3/4 ton truck just like I did.
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-26-2012, 5:16 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionel View Post
Gas prices could be steep this summer, but the economy was different in 2008. IIRC on it's way down, now it's on it's way up.
Thanks for the insight.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-26-2012, 7:28 AM Reply   
The 6.2 is a good engine. Almost bought an Escalade that has it. Lots of power but they don't have the greatest fuel economy. TJ Morgan(HoustonShark ) has both an Escalade with the 6.2 and an Ecoboost, he would be a good person to talk to.
Old     (adam4x4)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-30-2012, 7:48 AM Reply   
So after looking at all the trucks my favorite was the ECO Boost, but i did not buy one. The 2 dealers that i was trying to work with where both jack a$$es. When I started looking I did not know about the GMC with the 6.2l motor. this truck runs! I really liked the truck so I bought it from a dealer that was easy and no hassle to deal with. The Toyota I hated the way it look unless it was lifted with rims and tires, and also the inside was cheap feeling to me. All the trucks where about the same price $38,000-$39,000 OTD.
Attached Images

Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-30-2012, 9:01 AM Reply   
I tend to agree that the toys look great with lift's and wheels, but kind of generic without. I also thought I was the only one that thought the interiors of the toys were cheap feeling. Heck my buddy's lexus feels cheap to me but it is a low end lexus...

That Chevy is awesome. I KNOW you will love it for years. I can't seem to come up with a good reason to dump my old '97 tahoe. I still love driving it.

Anyway, congrats on the new ride. I love the way those new rigs look.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-30-2012, 9:28 AM Reply   
Nice truck! Congrats! I think you will be happy with the power that the 6.2 has, should be plenty!
Old     (ryanbush11)      Join Date: May 2003       03-31-2012, 10:54 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam4x4 View Post
So after looking at all the trucks my favorite was the ECO Boost, but i did not buy one. The 2 dealers that i was trying to work with where both jack a$$es. When I started looking I did not know about the GMC with the 6.2l motor. this truck runs! I really liked the truck so I bought it from a dealer that was easy and no hassle to deal with. The Toyota I hated the way it look unless it was lifted with rims and tires, and also the inside was cheap feeling to me. All the trucks where about the same price $38,000-$39,000 OTD.

I just bought a new Sierra Denali with the 6.2, towed my VLX about 150 miles with it last weekend and it was a huge step up from the 5.3 my 2011 avalanche had in it....

also did you get the max tow package?
Old     (V)      Join Date: Dec 2011       03-31-2012, 3:34 PM Reply   
I am going to have to add a plus one for the Truck Of Texas, The Tundra. I have one and cannot complain. I have the first 2011 T-force edition CrewMaxx and I have put over 25k in the last year and love it.
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-04-2012, 5:49 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanbush11 View Post
also did you get the max tow package?
The 6.2 in the "normal trucks" (not Denali) is part of the max towing package.

Adam - glad you made the choice. I'm off today and thought about going and driving some trucks without the fam in tow. However, it might just be a way to get out of doing some chores on the vehicles I already own: RV, dirtbike, current tow vehicle.
Old     (ryanbush11)      Join Date: May 2003       04-04-2012, 6:03 AM Reply   
I have seen a few trucks around here that had the 6.2L with out the max tow package
Old     (adam4x4)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-04-2012, 7:38 AM Reply   
Yes the truck has the tow max package. Last night I whent and got my boat out of storage. This tuck tows great. Lots of power. So far I really are loving the truck. I only have 150 miles on it and wanted to wait a little longer to tow my boat, but I need to get it to the shop for a repair from a sand bar last trip of the season So I will be towing about about a hour to the dealer this week. Not sure about the fuel milage yet, just need to dive it.
Old     (ryanbush11)      Join Date: May 2003       04-04-2012, 9:03 AM Reply   
sweet, my truck has 3.42 gears since it's the denali, but the tow max has 3.73... i waited until my truck has 1000 miles on it and towed my boat about 60 miles each way to our local lake... pulls amazing, so much better than the 5.3 avalanche i had before. i normally just used my avalanche of trips around town and a company duramax for longer pulls, might use my new truck more often!
Old     (Bamabonners)      Join Date: Jul 2011       04-04-2012, 1:34 PM Reply   
I just traded my 5.3 chevy for a 6.2 chevy. I would put it up against the ecoboost any day of the week. That 6.2 is baaaad to the bone and the LS series of engines are rock solid.
Old     (kskonn)      Join Date: Mar 2011       04-05-2012, 2:59 PM Reply   
Ok sorry late to the thread but I feel qualified to give some input.

I had an 2010 Escalade with the 6.2. Loved the motor, it moved my escalade like a damn sports car. Great torque, good gas mileage considering, probably 18 average. Towed My Mastercraft X30 really well.

I now own a 2012 Ford F150 4x4 ecoboost, platinum trim package. The interior is great, nicer than my escalade. The engine tows my boat like a champ. It does not struggle on hills and has a great torque curve- max torque reached at 2000 rpm. I drove the Ford with the 6.2 liter and was not impressed, nice engine but max torque is not until 5000 rpm. so not very useful. It did not tow as well as the Ecoboost.

I also looked at Tundras, I really enjoyed this truck when the dealer let me take one for the weekend. Towed well, not quite as well as the Ecoboost, in my opinion, but still well. I would have been happy in either the Tundra or the Ford. It came down to the interior on the ford as well as the price, I was able to get the Ford for about 4 grand less than the comparable tundra. Platinum vs Platinum.

I also owned a 2000 F250 with the 7.3 powerstroke, awesome truck, sold it because I enjoy towing with the Ecoboost more.

I will say that the gas mileage is not as good as I expected in the Ecoboost, it is better than most trucks but not as advertised, probably because of the way I drive.

I had one issue with my truck which turned out to be a bad Control module, it was replaced with a new one and I have not had a problem. I am at 13000 miles. My boat dealer has an ecoboost truck with 87000 miles that they use for house calls etc... they have not had any issues.

Like most have said I think either the Tundra or the F150 will provide you with a very nice truck experience. Good luck with your decision, and post pics.

FYI I was not a big fan of the stock Tundra look, but i think with a small lift and some new tires they are some of the sickest looking trucks around, I think you can get that done at the Dealer, might want to see if they will throw that in cheap if you buy the truck.
Old     (kskonn)      Join Date: Mar 2011       04-05-2012, 3:00 PM Reply   
wow I missed the part about you actually picking the truck. Nice truck! Congrats, sorry for the long unneccesary previous post.
Old     (kskonn)      Join Date: Mar 2011       04-05-2012, 3:05 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfe View Post
Here's some more eye candy...

DBC, is that your truck? if so what size lift did you put on? is that a 4 or 6?
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-09-2012, 6:52 PM Reply   
This has been a great thread. The Eboost sounds great, but I prefer naturally aspirated motors. So, my decision had come down to the Tundra 5.7, the Chevy 2500 6.0, or the Chevy 1500 6.2. I drove the 2500 again today and was again disappointed. It is just too sluggish. Much like my Trailblazer 5.3 before I put in the PCMforless tune. I refuse to buy a new truck that needs a tune. After driving the 2500 I pressed for the dealer to find a 1500 with 6.2. It was like I was speaking a foreign language. He had less knowledge about the product than I did. I doubt he'll find one, but I may make some calls tomorrow. However, I have searched the I-net and have found none at my local (100 miles) dealers. GMC and Chevy.

After leaving the Chevy dealership we drove the Tundra again. It makes so much power so much more smoothly than the 2500! I just keep coming back to it. The sticker is 34K and some change and the first time I stopped in, a few weeks ago, he shot me $29K. I'm really close to buying the Toyota. 2WD, cloth SR5, bluetooth, sat, towing and back up cam and some other goodies. Anyone else have a comparison between the Tundra and GM 6.2?
Old     (kskonn)      Join Date: Mar 2011       04-09-2012, 7:39 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeboardingdad View Post
This has been a great thread. The Eboost sounds great, but I prefer naturally aspirated motors. So, my decision had come down to the Tundra 5.7, the Chevy 2500 6.0, or the Chevy 1500 6.2. I drove the 2500 again today and was again disappointed. It is just too sluggish. Much like my Trailblazer 5.3 before I put in the PCMforless tune. I refuse to buy a new truck that needs a tune. After driving the 2500 I pressed for the dealer to find a 1500 with 6.2. It was like I was speaking a foreign language. He had less knowledge about the product than I did. I doubt he'll find one, but I may make some calls tomorrow. However, I have searched the I-net and have found none at my local (100 miles) dealers. GMC and Chevy.

After leaving the Chevy dealership we drove the Tundra again. It makes so much power so much more smoothly than the 2500! I just keep coming back to it. The sticker is 34K and some change and the first time I stopped in, a few weeks ago, he shot me $29K. I'm really close to buying the Toyota. 2WD, cloth SR5, bluetooth, sat, towing and back up cam and some other goodies. Anyone else have a comparison between the Tundra and GM 6.2?
Did you check out the ford f150 6.2? Also I prefer the Chevy 6.2 over the tundra 5.7. I did an extended test drive (3 days)on a Tundra and it was nice but did not stack up to the 6.2 in my escalade. Just my opinion on a fairly small sampling.
Old     (Bamabonners)      Join Date: Jul 2011       04-09-2012, 10:20 PM Reply   
I was lucky to find 6.2, but so glad I did. 2500 with 6.0 is a dog. Tundra would be second choice. F150 forum has several threads on vibrations that dealers can't fix. I battled that crap with a Titan.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-10-2012, 5:07 AM Reply   
Congrats on the new truck Adam! I was going to recommend that you look at the Chevy/GMC with the 6.2L and Max Tow package, but didn't want to bring up an item that you did not mention in your original post.

I too have the 6.2L w/ Max Tow (Silverado though). I'm so happy with it. Thing tows amazingly. I tow around a SAN 230, and have no problem with acceleration getting up to interstate speeds and passing on two lane roads. It also feels under control at all times.